View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #112
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If we were still in Alaska I'd would like a generator. When at anchor usually nobody to irritate but here in WA I don't know if I'm going to be able to cope w all the people and boats. Have'nt really got out there yet so don't really know.

But we don't have room or the money for electric stoves and a generator. So we are stuck w the propane but truthfully I can't imagine not using it even if we had a 50' boat and bags of money. I just don't see anything wrong with it. But I'd like to have the gen and a get home and lots of other stuff.

But I'd still use a propane cook stove and when we arrived at an anchorage our house batts would be fully charged. So with our new LED lights and being frugal about other electrical consumption I really don't see that we'd need to run "our" generator at anchor ... unless we stayed multiple days in the same anchorage. And then we could run the generator in the middle of the afternoon.

Having said that why don't others do what I just outlined and rarely run the generator in the morning or evening at anchor? I've never had a gen and there are elements of this that I'm not aware of. But I sure don't see it. It looks like people just run generators because it's convenient.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote