Removing Holding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only if going more expensive is guaranteed to work better.
Thought that was assumed. Also happy to pay less if it's an equal or better solution.

Ted

Permeated hoses are the FIRST thing to check no matter how new the boat or how long ago hoses were replaced.

Btw, Chris...Parks Masterson--"HopCar" here--owns Hopkins Carter marine supply in Ft Lauderdale and gives forum members very discounts. I recommend you ask him for quote for your PuraSan system.

Not ALL the "expensive" hose permeates. Trident #101/102 (identical except for color) has been on the market for nearly 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure.and for an average price of $7.50-$8/ft isn't THAT expensive. It has only one drawback: it's stiff as an ironing board, which requires using inline radius fittings for tight turns. Raritan introduced their Saniflex hose about 6 years ago...not a single permeation failure so far and it's so flexible it can make a U-turn.

Fair enough, I defer to your experience. But I've not yet -- ever, to my knowledge -- been on a boat with obvious head odor, where the cause was hose permeation.

And George's Mainship is relatively young, only a year older than our ride.

Maybe I've only been on boats with Trident 101/102.

:)

Thanks for the reminder about HopCar; I've already been in contact with Parks, and its one favorable approach. I'm needing to compare parts prices verses and installed system, still stuck in that loop as we speak...

-Chris

But I've not yet -- ever, to my knowledge -- been on a boat with obvious head odor, where the cause was hose permeation.

That's because boat odors aren't ALL in your head! And odors are always strongest at their source. If it really is HEAD odor--odor that's pretty much confined to the head compartment, the source can be dead and decaying animal or vegetable sea life trapped in the head intake, pump and/or channel in the rim of the bowl...or a shower sump in desperate need of cleaning.

A wet dirty bilge or trapped water somewhere can make a whole boat smell like a swamp or even a sewer. It's a "soft" swampy/sewer odor.

A sharp sewer/chemical odor that's strongest in the areas where the hose run through can only be permeated hoses.

A boat can still stink after hoses have been replaced if the odor from the hoses has attached itself to surfaces in the areas the hoses run through.

"But I've not yet -- ever, to my knowledge -- been on a boat with obvious head odor, where the cause was hose permeation."

Neither have I except on my own boat. I replaced the hose and the problem went away.

With the cost of quality sanitation hose, I pulled out all the old hose and measured it so I didn't have to buy more than I needed. I did buy a foot or so more just to be safe.

That's because boat odors aren't ALL in your head!

Yep, absolutely. We made a list in our owners club once of all the things we could think of that cause odors, many of which are attributed to head stuff, even if incorrectly.

I think the list was 28 or 32 lines long, or some such...

-Chris

"...that cause odors,"

Taco-Bell-Sign-Installation.jpg

Once again, RT, you crack me up!

And so effortlessly, too!

:)

-Chris

Thought that was assumed. Ted

Not necessarily... Shields claims their $15+/ft "PolyX" hose has a "lifetime" warranty against odor permeation. Since the average working life of ANY hose--water, sanitation, fuel, exhaust--is only about 10 years before the rubber etc becomes dried out enough for it to become brittle enough to start cracking, that's a pretty short "lifetime" for more than twice the price of Trident 101/102.

I have to wonder if a sanitation hose has a lifetime (or any) warranty against permeation, do you have to send it back to the manufacturer for warranty replacement like you do with most products? :rolleyes:

Not typically. But you do need proof of purchase. If you installed it yourself, ONLY the hose is covered...no reimbursement for your labor.

"Standard" (#148 flex pvc) sanitation has only a 1 yr warranty against odor permeation. The better quality hoses, except for Shields Poly X, typically have a 5 yr warranty...although a few of what I call "2nd tier" hoses have a 3 yr warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom