Perkins Diesel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedted

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Castoff
Vessel Make
77 Heritage West Indian 36
Hi, I'm going to look at a boat this weekend that has a
Perkins Range 4 M240TI engine. I did a little checking on the web and can't find any reference to a Perkins with these numbers. I figure you guys here know what this engine is. Any history or fun facts about it would be greatly appreciated. Are they a decent engine or one of those "wish they never made its". What little I know of the Perkins diesels is from the tractor models. They are pretty tough engines in field work from what I've seen. Thanks

I have seen several 240 engines and many range 4 Perkins. Good base engine watch those coolers they are extremely pricey to replace.

Perkins Range 4

Hey All, Thanks for your input. My wife and I stuck our necks out and put in a bid on the boat. A Heritage Yachts (Morgan) West Indian 36. Pending surveys she's ours. There's gonna be a ton of refurb, pretty much cosmetic, but the boat seems pretty sound. The engine (Perkins 240 turbo) looks very nice and has spent it's life in fresh water. Engine was a replacement in 1990 and has 2400 hrs. I'm hoping that's a good thing for the cooler....I was wondering if the Perkins Range 4 m240ti is still being manufactured? That would be nice if parts are needed. Thanks again for the comments, Ted

The range 4 engines are no longer manufactured. Most parts are available.

Back
Top Bottom