You ever fall in the drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Ok, so, we had some fun towing, grounding and getting spun outta whack.
Here's another...

You ever go over?

Growing up, neighbours had a wooden Peterborough with a bottom like a canoe.
In a tight turn, you could set that thing plumb up on its side. You'd expect the prop to hit air.
Ran it from the back like the picture.

Showin' off one day, perched on the aft corner, latter parts hangin' in the wind. Bank into a steep turn, arse hits the water and I'm all legs. Fortunately, young lady had the wherewithal to jump back and kill the throttle before we had a Fargo chipper scene on our hands.

On the hook one time hear a scream and a splash. Non swimmer, somehow went over the bow rail up at the pulpit. Never did tell us what she was doing up there. I have an idea...

Attachments

• Pete.jpg
    Pete.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 97
Yep...couple times from wakes at the wrong time while jumping between boats to sliding off the dock from frost under a welcome mat.

Can't wait for all the "I almost did...now my neighbor" stories....:D

Who, me? Not yet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 93
Couple times when a kid. :eek: To date, not as adult. :D

Ah, Santa, after one wrong step ... happened to me too sans the audience.
Luckily, the boat was much smaller as I was alone on the dock.

santascituate-480x324.jpg

Ex competitive catamaran sailor so I say yes about 20 times a weekend for 15 years do I win a prize :rofl:

Yup. Never dockside.

Rolled a tin boat off discovery island spent over an hour in the waters and no pfd.

Rolled a canoe of Galliano island pollier pass, ended up about half way to active pass before I made land, pfd saved my sorry ass.

Last summer at oh so dark an hour. Got cocky walking a bundle of logs, and got waked fell between the bundle and boom stick, broke three ribs and knocked the wind outa me. No pfd., man I can be a dumb ass from time to time.

Just a couple of my interesting moments.

OFB; said:
Got cocky walking a bundle of logs, and got waked fell between the bundle and boom stick, broke three ribs and knocked the wind outa me.
I knew we could count on you for a few. What you doing on a bundle any way, your a LS not a scaler.

Whoa, nicely finished teak cappings!
Now, who is that in the water.....an esteemed Moderator?

Bruce,

After we saved his beer, we went back and pulled the moderator out of the drink!

I didn't fall but was pushed overboard. In the early 1980s, wife and in-laws were onboard my pocket cutter sailboat headed toward Suisun City in the Suisun Slough with light winds. I was leaning forward on the deck when the boom jibed and tapped me on the bottom, making me lose balance so went head-first into the water.

I knew we could count on you for a few. What you doing on a bundle any way, your a LS not a scaler.

I find em loose, tie em up, get a recovery fee or the product. Sometimes I get to help restowe but most times I do shallow water recovery tow out to the real boats. 12 foot Livingston towing a bundle of logs around just makes you laugh. Some times it's the bundle of logs towing me around makes me laugh even harder.

I've been lucky so far. Of course being 6'3" 250 lbs I know that if I go over there are a limited number of people who can pull me out so I tend to be extra careful.

I find em loose, tie em up, get a recovery fee or the product. Sometimes I get to help restowe but most times I do shallow water recovery tow out to the real boats. 12 foot Livingston towing a bundle of logs around just makes you laugh. Some times it's the bundle of logs towing me around makes me laugh even harder.
Lol. Makes me laugh too as I can visualize. Thought maybe you worked by night...like the old timers. Find more unstamped wood at night.:blush:

Rolled a tin boat off discovery island spent over an hour in the waters and no pfd.

You are lucky. I sail in that area and came through Baines channel at 10:10 one summer night. Next day I heard that a canoe capsized with the loss of 1 life. First 911 call was at 10:20. If only we were a few minutes later.....

Lol. Makes me laugh too as I can visualize. Thought maybe you worked by night...like the old timers. Find more unstamped wood at night.:blush:

Oh I work at night for sure but log salvage at night is a no no. Bundle Recovery, it's all good.

Haven't fallen off yet myself, but have had a customer fall ott. Years ago, we had a 65', 1957 Trumpy, one of most beautiful boats ever built. During the summer, we ran dinner charters out of Little River, SC. We docked parallel to the ICW and the current, not far from Little River inlet. Leaving the dock, we always ran a spring line around a dock piling and used it to allow the current to pull the bow away from the dock. Our pretrip "rules" lecture always included telling everybody not to do anything on the boat, if we needed them to do anything, we would tell them explicitly. Well, one night, we had one party of 6, one guy had already had a few drinks. He saw our bow being pushed out, saw the spring line around the piling and thought we were still tied to the dock. So he put one foot on the dock and one on the boat reaching for the line around the piling. Well, once a 65 ton boat starts moving, awful hard to stop it immediately. As the boat pulled out, he did a split and into the drink he went. He compounded his problem, and added real injury to insult when he realized there was a current. He wrapped both legs and arms around the piling, one coated in barnacles. No major injuries, but he was a real bloody mess when we got him out of the water. He must have had 100 little razor cuts from those barnacles!

Love the Peterborough picture as that was my first boat back in 1965 and even had the same motor that you show. I haven't fell in (yet) but have to admit the Admiral went in once with a little help from me. Just as we were approaching the dock at a 45 deg angle with a fairly stiff wind, so I was coming in hot, she decides to jump for the dock about 3 feet out. Well she did this at the precise time that I hit reverse to slow down. Well, she stretched between the dock and the boat for a few seconds, hands and feet but inevitably had to let go. Got her out safe and unhurt but very wet. I caught s&(t, but she doesn't jump for the dock any more.

Twice. Once at anchor off my current charter boat. Got in a hurry and tripped on a mid ship cleat. The other time was off my old steel charter boat, in the boat yard, on the hard. Again, in a hurry getting the boat ready for the travel lift. Fell 8' to the ground and landed on the steel dive ladder. Took a trip to the hospital. Didn't break anything except my pride. Some very impressive black and blue marks a couple of days later. I'm no longer in a hurry. :blush:

Ted

Last edited:
Yes, at the dock, Daytona Beach, off the swim platform, while pre-occupied and upset about something. Assessed myself a one more day in port penalty.
On important thing to me is having a way to get back on the boat alone.
Another is always attaching to myself the kill lanyard when piloting the Whaler.

Once. Right at the dock.

Cold and very windy late October day. I went to get back on the boat and she made an unexpected move due to the wind. I was distracted by the cold and was in the water before I knew what happened. Water felt nice and warm compared to the air. One of my boat shoes came off and I remember being inordinately annoyed at that.

Pulled down the swim ladder and climbed up. The boat was nice and warm so I stripped down, dried off and put together an eclectic outfit of summer apparel found on the boat. Some of it was decidedly gender inappropriate.

I locked her up, carefully disembarked, limped up the dock and hopped one footed over the sharp stones in the marina parking lot to the car. I drove home with the heat at full blast.

Once, while washing a 23 Grady White outboard fishing boat I had years ago. It was in the slip, my brother in law who was with me asked what happened. Not to look the fool I told him my Ray Bans fell in the water and I dove for them.
I almost fell off of Gumbo once, washing the FB windows while leaning back against the handrails, when I got to the open gate I fell back but was able to catch myself before hitting the dock. I did look the fool that time but learned a lesson, close the gates when doing that sort of work!

Once. Years ago in my blow boat days I generally sailed by myself and frequently into the early evening. I also always backed into my slip...because I could. Backed in, stopped momentum, leaned over stern rail to pick up a line. The bulk of my (m)ass and belly is above pulpit. Stretched for line, toes slid and did half gainer with belly leading the way. Doesn't end there; was still young and strong and one hand was still on pulpit. Somehow got leg up and wiggled back on boat.

In this town everyone or someone sees things happening although they were not in immediate area. After my trip home to get dry clothes I went to the watering hole and figured I should fess up before someone beat me to it. Spilled my guts and nobody had seen it. Bought Mustang float coat the next day.

Yup, at anchor. Working my way around the boat to wash salt off windows, and carelessly stepped on a cleat, wearing old Teva boat sandals whose rubber had kinda dried up and lost its grip. Fortunately did not lose my specs. Deployed the swim step ladder, and was back onboard in a jiffy.

Got rid of the old Teva's.

I fell out of a kayak trying to get out and on to the swimstep, which is difficult since the swimstep is not even with the top of the kayak. Now I have a better system whereby I have a knotted line attached to a flybridge support that I use to pull myself up out of the kayak and then slide over onto the swimstep. Much easier and I haven't fallen in since.

Not yet, still dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom