RV Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
This $60 RV water pump popped up on my Amazon recommendations:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XM5G70

It's a SHURFlo that looks exactly like the marine version that West Marine sells for $150.

Obviously it doesn't have the corrosion-resistant coating and materials. But I'm only looking for a backup in case mine fails while I'm not somewhere I can get a new one quickly.

It lives in the engine room, where there isn't much problem with corrosion. And I'd be keeping it in its original box, inside a zip-lock bag, unless and until it's needed. I might not even need to replace my existing pump, just use the RV-grade spare for parts.

Thoughts?

It is the same pump. And if your boat is in salt water and the ER is not hermetically sealed (which of course it isn't as it is vented and your engine sucks in air) there is exposure to corrosion.

Your idea is a good one though, and if you do deploy it, spray it well with Corrosion X and it'll be pretty darn good. I'd do that even if it was going into an RV. Many Shurflo and other pumps are, unlike this case, identical in both marine and RV stores and often cheaper at the latter.
Defender sells that AquaKing currently on sale for $113 by the way.

"Obviously it doesn't have the corrosion-resistant coating and materials.

Never noticed a difference , except in some brands of bait well pumps.

With Worst Marine , you need a "commercial" account to get down to Mfg list price.

I recently replaced my fresh water pump. For a short while, I had great pressure and even flow and then no water at all. Power to pump, input water line flows freely, but no pumping. My first thoughts were that I had a defective pump, but the old pump had the same symptoms. Any ideas?

Have you looked for a clogged inline filter downstream from the pump?

No, I haven't. I sure appreciate the response and will look at that next. Thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. BG. As well as checking for clogs downstream as suggested by Mr. F. also check for the feed TO your pump. Could be a clog in the water tank or worse...
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom