Ocean Alexander Gelcoat issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my experience that sort of cracking is due to the gelcoat being too thick. Gel coat is simply heavily pigmented, slightly thickened resin. As such it has no glass fiber reinforcement. Putting it on too thick results in cracks like you have shown. I completely agree!.
My 2006 OA 42 had 140 spider cracks. Not only were they in corners, radii and the like, they were everywhere! I hired an expert who spent 2 weeks (off & on) grinding, filling, sanding, spraying new gel coat, clear coating and polishing. The boat looks terrific now and the bill was a skosh over 5 boat bucks. My cracks were hairline and not as severe as the OP's boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 98
I have seen so many Ocean Alexander's with bad gelcoat, I am wondering if anyone has ever submitted warranty work to the company to have the issue addressed. Of course it would be much too late for a boat 13 years old, But I am wondering if Ocean Alexander ever owned up to their quality control problem.

Just wondering,

Gordon

This issue is not just with OA's. Those pics could have been of my boat, I had/have virtually the identical issue. The great majority are not spider cracks in the traditional sense as they are not caused by stress and do not go deeper than the actual gelcoat, the laminate is perfectly fine.

I believe TDun is mostly correct, aside from the gel coat being very thick, I also believe that there is an incompatibility issue between the gelcoat and laminate resin used. As to why the extreme gel coat thickness, it was undoubtedly done to prevent print-through because they chose not to use chopped straw. This was not an attempt at saving a buck it was an attempt at quality. Unfortunately it backfired on them.

I have found that approx 70% of these areas can simply be sanded out and when finished with 1000 grit wet sanding and polishing they are virtually invisible. The balance requires such aggressive sanding it breaks through the gelcoat exposing the yellow laminate and requires spot spraying with paint to hide. Incidentally the reduced gel thickness from repairing / sanding these areas seems to prevent it from reoccurring.

I further do not believe this is entirely an issue triggered by sun exposure, I am under cover.

Both Ocean Alexander and Albin are supposed to be high end, high quality boats but it only goes to prove once again they "all" have their issues be it rusty tanks, leaky windows, blisters or all of the above. You either find one that has the work already done or find one that needs work you can do.

Personally Gordon, I wouldn't worry about it unless your finicky about cosmetics. If you are, I would walk away, you will never recover the 50K cost to paint it. In 10 years it will need painting again by the next owner and you gain nothing. At least this one still has the "original" gel coat and you don't have to deal with several layers of old flaking paint.

In my case I tackle one area at a time but mostly I only think about doing it while relaxing on the aft deck with a cold beer.

CAPT Kangaroo,

Thanks for the response. I am finicky about appearance, but think that I can do the paint prep myself and spare most of the painting expense. I have been known to wield a pretty mean sander.

Gordon

The first thing to figure out is whether the problems are just on the surface or there are structural and integrity problems, perhaps moisture, etc. As to a "body man" looking at it, I'd much prefer a marine surveyor.

Only after a very good survey will you know the extent of the problem. Even then there may be additional hidden damage. However, until someone knowledgeable has checked for penetration, checked for moisture, looked at areas of possible flex you're shooting in the dark.

Now, if they find it's all superficial, then it's easy. Just a good paint job including all the preparation that is needed. I've seen some ten year old Sunseeker's with spidering on all decks and surfaces and with no structural integrity issues. The explanations vary but include temperatures at the time of gelcoat application, quality of gelcoat material, and others. We will never attempt a gelcoat repair on one. Almost had it awlgripped at purchase but decided to get a little time from the gelcoat and paint at the first sign of spidering.

Greetings,
Mr GJ. Well, for a 42' boat $50K sounds reasonable.

It's almost to cheap considering the amount of labor and product that will be needed to correct that mess.

Figure out a fair pride for that boat if the gelcoat was in good shape and deduct $40,000 to $60,000 off the top.

It's a shame that do to a builders shoty work that an owner looses so much money at resale.

BandB,

We are already at the point of massive spidering. I am retired and we have a year before we leave. I might just learn to paint myself.

Thanks all for the input.

Gordon

BandB,

We are already at the point of massive spidering. I am retired and we have a year before we leave. I might just learn to paint myself.

Thanks all for the input.

Gordon

Yes, and I'm sure their warranty says spidering isn't covered, that it's normal and just superficial. They don't care how ugly and unacceptable and that other builders don't have it. Of course many other builders don't have it because they paint the boat from the outset. We came very close to painting this one today, brand new, but decided to get a couple of years or whatever we can out of the gelcoat. Maybe do the Loop once first.

I don't think $50,000 would cover this paint job going on now on this 120' yacht in one of our in-water paint sheds.

Attachments

• Paint Feb 2016.jpg
    Paint Feb 2016.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Paint shed 2016.jpg
    Paint shed 2016.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 64
American Custom Yachts painted this 58' Krogen last fall. Awgrip from the water line on up, including the mast, 3 colors, $70,000. The owner dropped the boat off and picked it up 4.5 months later.

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 87
American Custom Yachts painted this 58' Krogen last fall. Awgrip from the water line on up, including the mast, 3 colors, $70,000. The owner dropped the boat off and picked it up 4.5 months later.

Surely in the 4.5 months they did more than paint from waterline up? Or was it just 3.5 months before they could start?

Surely in the 4.5 months they did more than paint from waterline up? Or was it just 3.5 months before they could start?

While 4.5 months does sound a little long, you couldn't get a proper job done in only a month IMO. Which is really only 20 work days after all.

Plus if it's being done outdoors you may have weather issues.

We have a couple of yards locally that can do that sort of paint work. Certainly far cheaper than down south. Of course the results might not be comparable. World class here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom