"Trawler Suspension"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
I learned a new term today - "Trawler Suspension". One of my other passions is wristwatches, and one of the big name sites in that world is Hodinke, which has a story today (hat tip "Bitter Eng Blog") about "A Thomas Mercer One-Off Marine Chronometer Made To Accompany A Re-Creation Of Shackleton’s Epic Voyage".

Everyone here must be familiar at some level with Shackleton's voyage, the highlight of which was a 14 day, 800 mile rescue attempt with him and five crew in a 22' open boat across the Weddell Sea in the Antarctic. With a Thomas Mercer marine chronometer featuring...a "trawler suspension":
trawler1907.jpg

Sitting here on the boat on a somewhat sunny, but windy and chilly, day on Seattle. Read this thread title and my first thought was to wonder where the springs and shocks were hidden on our boat!

All kidding aside-that is a pretty cool replica, and pretty amazing that the original did what it was supposed to do under those conditions. Shackleton's feat was truly one of the more epic journeys ever.

That chronometer is interesting, wrist watches not so much. I've never owned either or seen the need to. When I worked for a living I was always early and left late. When I worked for myself time didnt matter, there was never enough. Now that I'm retired time is irrelavant. I will admit that if someone gave me a Rollex, I would be very happy,,,to sell it and buy something I like. :) I had kinda hoped someone had shocks for my trawlers suspension, I think mine are stuck.

At the risk of starting another semantics controversy, what, exactly, made it a "trawler" suspension? Just wondering why a trawler would be associated with that rig rather than, say, a seiner or a cargo ship or a warship.

At the risk of starting another semantics controversy, what, exactly, made it a "trawler" suspension? Just wondering why a trawler would be associated with that rig rather than, say, a seiner or a cargo ship or a warship.
From the Thomas Mercer page on the Antarctic Endurance:

"The Antarctic Endurance chronometer’s design draws on our heritage to reintroduce the distinctive ‘Trawler Suspension’, a solution that withstands the violent motion of fishing vessels. In 1910, Frank Mercer took a trip on an Icelandic trawler to experience first-hand the conditions a chronometer suffered in rough seas. After three weeks of testing in different positions and conditions, he designed a new suspension with a shock-absorbing device using a frame supporting the gimbals by means of one bottom spring and four radial springs."​

Notwithstanding the 1910 date compared to the 1907 date on the image I posted, feel free to opine on why the "Icelandic trawler" wasn't really a trawler. :)

Back
Top Bottom