Old 03-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #34
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
My question is for Kevin and Pete and anyone else with experience with Cruise RO Watermakers:

Background -- I have two 600 gpd watermakers on board. They worked fine for several years but (the high pressure pumps) have now failed and the manufacturer can't supply parts or replacement pumps. So, I am in search of two new water makers from a different manufacturer. Along the way, I have learned that my current brand uses proprietary osmotic filters, so the cost of replacement is about $1,000 (each) more than it would otherwise be.

What I liked about my current watermakers is that everything was automated. I press one button and it begins production, with a green light to tell me it is making good water. When I am done I press a single button to stop it and the green light goes away. The freshwater flush happens automatically, even if I don't leave my freshwater pump turned on (which I don't like to do when I will be away from the boat).

Now my question -- how much attention is necessary to keep the watermaker producing at near its rated capacity. A prior water maker I had required the adjustment of pressure valves. Too little pressure and little or now production. Too much pressure and the thing would shut itself off. If it were only a matter of setting and forgetting, that would be fine, but with my prior unit, pressure would gradually build until it hit the shut off point. So, in practice, I would have to adjust the water maker several times during its first hour of production and I would have to check on it every hour or so after.
My question is, with the Cruise RO unit, how much adjustment, during production, is necessary?
Good question.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote