Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a lot to like about this vessel. 12v, 24v, 220v, and 380v electrics, bronze window frames, the Kabola furnace.

But I can't quite figure out the controls. The steering lever forward of the wheel is a Simrad AP control with a custom plate, and I think that's a single lever engine control on the starboard side. But what's that joystick on the...extendable?...arm to the left? Duplicate steering control? And some of those panels look interesting - would like to see some closeups of them.

I also love the carpet over the upper saloon table - very Dutch!

And that's the ultimate "down galley" location for those who swing that way.

Last edited:
Well, whatever it is or has, it seems like a very complete vessel for all my uses, save for maybe the draft. A dream live-aboard. I'd want a good, experienced survey of the hull though.

Last edited:
Well, whatever it is or has, it seems like a very complete vessel for all my uses, save for maybe the draft. A dream live-aboard. I'd want a good, experienced survey of the hull though.
I was sold until I saw the draft. Little deep for my taste.

Ted

..... Freight will be nearly 1/3 of the final cost of the boat when it gets here but I am completely smitten even from this distance. .......

Why in the heck would you freight this vessel when it's perfectly capable of crossing oceans? Passing up an opportunity like that seems contrary to all the reasons I'm involved with "Trawlers". Just Sayin'

Why in the heck would you freight this vessel when it's perfectly capable of crossing oceans? Passing up an opportunity like that seems contrary to all the reasons I'm involved with "Trawlers". Just Sayin'

Agree, also a perfect opportunity to sail around Europe and the Med.

I am not familiar with klee wyck's situation but it is entirely possible that someone may not have the money, time, or inclination to make that trip.

When I bought my current boat it was in SoCal. I would have loved to sail it home, but there was no way I could afford the requisite time out of the office to do it. In my case it was a matter of weeks, in this case it would be a matter of months.

The anchor on the Dutch boat is almost certainly a kedge.
Manson shows several on their web site.
This type of kedge usually is called a "stockless" anchor.
They are an articulating shank anchor and IMO that is the similarity to the Danforth types. They also function on either side like a Danforth.

Edit:
I now have 4 Danforth anchors. 13, 18, 20 and a 35#. Trying to cut that count in half. Dumping the 18 and 35lb.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with klee wyck's situation but it is entirely possible that someone may not have the money, time, or inclination to make that trip. .........

I can somewhat understand the time factor but I'm not buying into the other two possibilities you mention.

"money"? Me thinks if you have an extra $200K to spend on a toy you certainly have a few thousand extra to cross an ocean. In the case of this boat all you need to do is add some fuel bladders and you're ready to go. "inclination"? If it's missing maybe he should just buy a coastal cruiser locally and call it good!

Last edited:
Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled thread topic which doesn't involve second guessing the lives of others without knowing what complicating factors influence the decisions they may or may not make...

Misty Girl. (Retired east coast commercial longliner conversion)
The* Boat* Business* Group

Last edited:
Some people have had their fill of open ocean...the dangers no longer are quelled by the adventure.

Some prefer seeing things like land every few days.

Some people have had their fill of open ocean...the dangers no longer are quelled by the adventure.

Some prefer seeing things like land every few days.

+1

Once you've left the coast the sea scape is boring boring boring; I've never had the desire to make sea passages across oceans, there's absolutely nothing to see offshore.

Actually I'm more of a river/ lake person, its lovely to tie up to a tree for lunch without the worry of nasty waves and such like.

+1

Once you've left the coast the sea scape is boring boring boring; I've never had the desire to make sea passages across oceans, there's absolutely nothing to see offshore.

Actually I'm more of a river/ lake person, its lovely to tie up to a tree for lunch without the worry of nasty waves and such like.

Not trying to change anyone's mind here--and I love coastal boating--but some of my best memories are of sights offshore. Pods of whales migrating, bait exploding with some predator in hot pursuit, your wake stretching seemingly to the horizon in the moonlight, stars like I've never seen anywhere else, the colors of the water at sunrise, the first sight of land after a week of open water. To me, it's a magical place.

Not trying to change anyone's mind....:D

But alL that is seen in near coastal cruising also....with the exception usually being weeks between landfalls, more "dark" time for stars and yes...the depthsounder with no readings for longer periods. ;)

If we were talking large passagemakers, OK, I will cross again....but 50 foot or so yacht?

No thank you....I will take my adventure these days in a different flavor.

Everyone should try it once or more.....it like many things affects people differently.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled thread topic which doesn't involve second guessing the lives of others without knowing what complicating factors influence the decisions they may or may not make...

Misty Girl. (Retired east coast commercial longliner conversion)
The* Boat* Business* Group

Very nice and interesting. What is the finished product cost?

Not trying to change anyone's mind....:D

But alL that is seen in near coastal cruising also....with the exception usually being weeks between landfalls, more "dark" time for stars and yes...the depthsounder with no readings for longer periods. ;)

If we were talking large passagemakers, OK, I will cross again....but 50 foot or so yacht?

No thank you....I will take my adventure these days in a different flavor.

Everyone should try it once or more.....it like many things affects people differently.

:thumb: Sure, you can see some of those things near the coast, but the difference to me is experiencing the utter remoteness along with them. Last untamed part of the planet and all that. The same remoteness I imagine explorers felt. Agree it's not for everybody and I won't be attempting it with my Defever, although with some mods the boat could probably handle it. The open water trips I did were in a 76-ft Alden ketch.

I make no pretense about being an ocean crosser. I am not one. Like crossers or crosser pretenders I suppose, I am an addict, and like them, my drug of choice is adrenaline. But unlike them I suspect, I get mine from the businesses I run. If I am away from the businesses for more than a few days I am disoriented and antsy. I do not dream of retirement. I am in the middle of my seventh and most complex and demanding startup and could not stand being away for long. I am aware that is not a popular view, but being away long enough to bring this boat home on her bottom is out of the question. I am neither capable of that, nor willing to give up that time. Period.
So why two boats with the capability to do it? The stretch of water from the Columbia Bar to Cape Cook is all within three days of home port for both of these boats. I might be willing to make the argument that crossing capability and that kind of sea keeping ability is exactly what I need for cruising these grounds even if it classifies as 'coastal' and is relatively close to home. Forecasts considered, mother nature is still the boss in this stretch of water and she has proven many times to be suddenly ruthless even to well qualified craft. For me, it is only this kind of boat that provides the psychological comfort I need to go out with family on board and many folks still counting on me to return and do my job. Not rational I am sure, but since when is anything about boating rational?

Plus...look at this boat. Just considering the interior fit, I would buy this boat for anything from living at the dock to inland cruising without considering it's seagoing pedigree. It's beautiful.

Sounds like we have a European surveyor identified so I may get to see the Netherlands soon! And yes, it will be a quick trip so I can get back to work. That is what floats my boat for now.......

Attachments

• Libra.jpg
    Libra.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
For me, it is only this kind of boat that provides the psychological comfort I need to go out with family on board and many folks still counting on me to return .......Not rational I am sure, but since when is anything about boating rational?

Wish my Admiral could read this and understand that the concept behind all my boat projects is psychological comfort, rational or not. Very well said.

Larry-I think that rationality and boat ownership are mutually exclusive concepts!

Larry-I think that rationality and boat ownership are mutually exclusive concepts!

For boat lovers... boat ownership... is a concept many term an "addiction"!

:D :speed boat:

Thank goodness for Dutch doors!

Back
Top Bottom