Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrriley, it's on Victoria Craigslist.

Beautiful boat but just another example of powering that I just don't get: 7 hp per long ton, almost double what a displacement hull can even absorb. That extra 70 hp doesn't even fall into the category of "reserve power."

Maybe it's insecurity. Perhaps guys are afraid that their friends will make fun of them if they tell them they are building a 40ft steel boat with only a 60hp engine?

According to the ad, he is using about 20hp at cruise speed - that's an engine running at 15% load.

There's a good example of a very overpowered boat.
VERY nice boat though. I've seen her about 10yrs ago.

Mr RT-A very cool whale! But I am not sure I would want to see a stability curve for that thing, nor would I want to try it in a crosswind over about 2mph!

I don't think the interiors would work for Me and the Wifey as liveaboards, but I absolutely love the lines of those Devlins!

I don't think the interiors would work for Me and the Wifey as liveaboards, but I absolutely love the lines of those Devlins!

Sam Devlin has a real talent as a designer .

I love his small lobster boat designs.

img_420181_0_bcd8ae37a25773d9e0e5c044fa711ecf.jpg

img_420181_1_bc6feaa735a7832bb60cf61ca8a0af3a.jpg

img_420181_2_7ba80d95cbf25770fb952160b7b986ac.jpg

Beautiful boat, but I don't think it has any characteristics with lobster boats.

I think it has a nearly flat deadrise, fine bow entry, and of course the lovely bow shape of a trad lobster boat; but just like you say I doubt if one has ever seen a real lobster except on the barbie. Lol!.

Not many lobster boat designs have hard chines, (JC/Eastern, Wesmac excluded), the argument being the trap will catch on the chine. Looks like no full keel on the Sam Devlin boat.

Not many lobster boat designs have hard chines, (JC/Eastern, Wesmac excluded), the argument being the trap will catch on the chine. Looks like no full keel on the Sam Devlin boat.

You're quite right, I'd forgotten about the keel and skeg on lobster boats; and of course the devlin has an out drive leg instead of the shaft .

Maybe lobster boat replica would be a better description .

Just a quick boat ID on a photo posted by Eric at the end of page 9 (several years ago!) - that lapstrake hulled sailboat is actually a fiberglass hull - she's a Nor'Sea 27. I sold mine to a family in Seward five years ago.

Dave

Perhaps not that interesting to many, but quite interesting to me. Steel of course. Powered by single Mercedes.

Attachments

• Nordzee Kotter 2.jpg
    Nordzee Kotter 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 142
Perhaps not that interesting to many, but quite interesting to me. Steel of course. Powered by single Mercedes.

Bill....yeah, that boat appeals to me, wannabe windows and all. Of course, I've also been accused of loving ugly boats. Know anymore about it?

I have got a US broker trying to buy it for me but the time zones and language make this slow and tough. She lies about an hour from Amsterdam. Freight will be nearly 1/3 of the final cost of the boat when it gets here but I am completely smitten even from this distance. Unless there is trouble with the hull, I can swallow about anything else I expect.

Bluto,
Here is your picture of the V10. Dry exhaust. We have run them in farm equipment for years, common in trucks. I have also never seen one in a boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 114
The engine room is a bit cluttered as thirty year old engine rooms with add ins tend to be, but pretty decent overall. The Dutch brokers do not seem to like engine room pictures and they barely refer to engines and mechanicals in their ads. You have to pull it out of them. They prefer to show the bling on the interiors it seems and this one has plenty. The European listing has more pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 73
Bluto,
Here is your picture of the V10. Dry exhaust. We have run them in farm equipment for years, common in trucks. I have also never seen one in a boat.
320 Hp and normally aspirated..
Very cool.
Thanks!

The dutch make some lovely barge inspired designs.

I like this simple kotter(?) design with the vertical stem..

img_420347_0_229dd33f96299e3b634328877d668ee4.jpg

img_420347_1_6114b1b14dd93586cf5615cc4e700444.jpg

img_420347_2_6986e268563a75c2fe265b579df3b9de.jpg

OMG - Peter! We must test the anchor! Is that real or painted on?? LOL

img_420376_0_6986e268563a75c2fe265b579df3b9de.jpg

OMG - Peter! We must test the anchor! Is that real or painted on?? LOL

MG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a484/Rustybarge/imagejpg3_zps840f73c5.jpg[/IMG]

I think it maybe what we call a fortress type anchor here in the UK; or a deriviate of one.

image007.jpg

Bluto,
I like the engine room clogs in the crate too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom