View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #36
Pineapple Girl
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
A couple of few times.
One time (sailboat) we were coming back from a race outside the golden gate, heading back down to the south bay. I forget who played what role in this but someone said, isn't the san bruno shoal around here somewhere? (My husband and I had a route we always took home that avoided the shoal so I know neither of us were driving and it was not our boat). Right after that we hit it. Luckily we spun right off it. A diver checked things out after and said everything was fine. Next time the boat was hauled, the owner found out there was actually a chunk out of the rudder that was allowing water intrusion and causing delamination. Can't say for SURE it was from that incident though.
A more fun incident was after a club race in the south bay, on our boat. We cut the corner into the marina's channel a little too close when we headed back in. We knew better! We sat in the mud for awhile and waited for the tide to come in and lift us off. It was a beautiful day and fine to hang out. The channel itself was quite shallow for awhile between dredging and more than one person got stuck in the mud at low tide. actually one of the race markers at our club was in kind of shallow water and one particular person/ boat had to be careful rounding so he did not get stuck. Helped everyone else out as that was one of the faster boats in the fleet and he had to take the mark wide.
We've had a few gentle kisses in the trawler but nothing alarming or that caused us to get stuck. thus far!
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote