Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #34
No Mast
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Does anyone here feel that admitting to going aground once or more suggests being a lesser skipper?
Not for me. It happens. if you're out there enough it'll happen to you, especially if you travel to new areas i feel.

Heck, i've been aground lets see, twice just last season. Both times in the ICW. Luckily we were able to back ourselves off both times. It was kind of funny actually. We see a boat aground ahead of us who's clearly misread the markers. They're visually in the middle of the water, but no longer in the marked channel. I think I'm smart and I'll follow the markers and go right past him. so we run aground in the channel pretty much abeam of him. Within 10 minutes there's 2 more boats aground around us. Tow boat US and Seatow are coming our way. We're all talking wondering where the water is. A cat tests for a possible route not finding it. Then a local comes by saying I just missed the deeper water.
I'm wondering where it is. Off to port is the marker showing the edge, beyond it is the first boat aground. Off to starboard not 20 feet are grasses growing and then land. He comes along splits the distance between me and those grasses and goes right through followed by a boat parade of everyone who had bottled up waiting to pass.

I used the thrusters to take the pressure the current was putting against us and backed right out and followed the parade of boats.

If that sounded like an apology, it wasn't meant to, just a story.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote