securing the dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
When pulling up to the swim platform in the dinghy there is no convenient place on my boat*to tie up to untill the dinghy is hoisted. The*closest cleats on my boat are through the hawse pipes just under the caprail. Has anyone mounted cleats or maybe a handrail*on their swim platform to secure the dinghy while at anchor. *Maybe bolted through the transom a couple of feet above the swim platform?
These would be small 6" or so cleats only for securing the dinghy not to hold the boat to a dock. Any comments or suggestions welcome.
Steve W.

How about you leave a loop of rope tied through one of the slats of the swim platform, and then you tie your painter (or have a short second painter with a snap hook) that you then just clip onto the loop of rope. Then use the real painter to tie to the large cleat for when you tow the dinghy?

I mounted two small cleats on my stern caprail for that purpose. One of them is next to the boarding steps and we use that as a handhold as well....I never like pulling on a stantion or railing if I don't have to.
I also use these cleats to secure the dinghy gas tank, spare gas can, etc. while underway.
I also tie extra lines from the dinghy to those cleats once the dink is in the davits...sort of an anti-sway line when underway.

-- Edited by jleonard on Saturday 12th of February 2011 07:01:39 AM

DINGHY PAINTERAlways secure dinghy using two very long dinghy *3/8 " *3 strand lines.
At Anchor secure Dinghy way out beyond the transom <<<< vortex say *40/ 50 feet back.
Never use short dinghy lines.

MOTHER SHIP DECK DINGHY GRAB *LINE.
That is a 5/8 x 20 ft line *attached at each end forward and aft end between 2 convenient stanchion bases, this acts as a "GRAB LINE" when coming along port side *with a dinghy in a sea way ,hold on to this *till *both dinghy lines are secured.
also it you have to throw a dinghy line and you miss fire you have a second line to go with.

HEAVING LINE
While i am at it , make up a 100 ft *heaving line with a golf ball and monkey fist stow in a bucket.

Coil on left hand, Back hand throw with right hand. Tennis any one ?

Donald & Mavis
Mainship 400
Andromeda

The swim platform is "slatless"
I plan to put cleats on the caprail to steady the dinghy in the davits underway, hadn't thought about them for securing gas tank etc that should work well I was thinking of something closer to the platform to hold the dinghy, but they may have to do.
Steve W

We have 2 folding cleats*by SeaDog made of 316 SS.* We added about 2 feet of line so we can easily*side-tie the dinghy and the lines are good*hand holds for boarding or unloading.*

Attachments

• picture 001.jpg
    picture 001.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 145
  • picture 004.jpg
    picture 004.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 153
  • picture 005.jpg
    picture 005.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 143
Hi Steve*All i can give you is an opinion, and what suits us.

At one time we used to approach our boat by dinghy at the transom swim platform.

We no longer do this with the hope of reducing a potential accident.

We always *approach the port side this has become automatic having a larger target *Mavis *secures the painter to the spring cleat then lets the dinghy set back to the swim platform , *then disembark *or hand stuff over the side in the Quarter Deck. we have found off loading at the swim platform *requires double the effort.
When we are done we set to dinghy way back off the transom.

A) It does not bang against the Mother ship side
B) It does not make a splashing noise at night
C) *Passing boats keep clear.
D) *Unaffected by *Transom vortex
E) *Clear of *exhaust fumes.
F) *How many time have people got the painter tangled all round the prop or rudder.

There is a plan "B", which i have see being used by the British Navy at anchor use a 80 ft side suspended Boom, their dinghies are 30 ft motor boats i believe the US Navy use 60 ft *+ *liberty boats boarding is via suspended side stairs.

We keep our boat on a swing moorings *which requires us to dinghy to travel one mile to our boat *we do this in a 8 ft pram and a 3.3 hp motor in the summer.
I am thinking that the usefulness / practically of a 8 ft pram is *slowly coming to an end.
At this time of the year we are using our 13 Foot Boston so we don't get swamped by other boaters or at times heavy seas.
As an on / off dinghy *i am beginning to think *that the 8 ft pram is a *play toy for the mother ship, but it does comes does into its own, when *off on a long trip.

" Be Happy "

Donald & Mavis
Mainship 400 " None the less its a small ship"
Andromeda

-- Edited by SOMERS on Saturday 12th of February 2011 09:31:07 AM

Steve:
After having the same complaint as you for several years, I had two 8" cleats mounted below my davits, about 12" above the swim platform. Work great.* This was part of a greater project, as I had SS braces built so my davits could lift more weight without torquing the bulwarks and cracking the teak cap rail.** In the process, welding a cleat to the lower leg of each brace seemed appropriate, and turned out every bit as useful as hoped for.
You wouldn't have to do anything more than bolt cleats through the transom, with adequate backing plates.*
That location is great for a side tie, when you need a line to hold the stern in for boarding, and to use the hole through the bulwark would leave a vertical lead.

-- Edited by koliver on Saturday 12th of February 2011 11:27:57 AM

We just tie it to our stern mooring cleat.

The Eagle came with*pole mounted on the side of the salon that*was used*hold the dink away from the boat, sort of 1/2 between the stern and the pole.*Looked sort of like a miniature fish stabilizer pole.* I took the pole off to install gutters, but*I still have it.* The previousowner anchored out a lot, I think he also hat anti roll cones attached to it when anchored.**

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Saturday 12th of February 2011 01:44:33 PM

Steve wrote:

l. Has anyone mounted cleats or maybe a handrail*on their swim platform to secure the dinghy while at anchor. *Maybe bolted through the transom a couple of feet above the swim platform?
Our dinghy is on Weaver Snap Davits so we simply clip it to the davits and leave it in the water next the swimstep.* But since you apparently haul you dinghy up to the cabin top that won't work for you.

I'd be wary of mounting cleats on a swim step simply becaue the day will come when you or someone else slams a foot into it.* Mounting a cleat on the transom is certainly doable if it won't be something that people will catch their clothes on or whack their knee on.* And it doesn't have to be terribly strong so a couple of stout wood screws and 5200 will be more than enough for the loads it will have I think.* No need to drill all the way through the transom, use a backing plate, etc.

The earlier suggestion of a loop of line cleated off and fed through one of the hawses is a good one and doesn't involve drilling holes in anything.* If it's an inflatable you don't have to worry about fenders, either.* On the occasions we have wanted to secure our Livingston alongside the boat as opposed to clipped the swimstep we have to put a pair of fenders down and then run the dinghy painter through the midship hawse.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 12th of February 2011 05:26:47 PM

Those are called boat booms. Handy to keep the tender away from mother ship, many sailors injured/killed over the years on naval vessels.

Steve,
We tow the dink, but like Marin snap it to Weaver Snap Davits when we arrive at the ship. Another benefit is that getting out onto the swimdeck and up the ladder is lots easier with it snapped into place. It CAN be a little noisy if the winds kick up and you are trying to sleep.
BTW, how is your Davit changes coming you showed me at the Trawler Do? Did the cross piece give you the strength you were hoping for?

I mounted two pop out cleats on my transom just above the swim platform. Great for tying up the dingy. I also use them for stern crossing lines and for hooking up the dingy towing bridle.

Back
Top Bottom