Power Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I regularly clean my contacts with a Dremel tool. Apply an anti-oxidant m & f. Monitor the load. Support cables when they leave the boat (adjustable re-usable yellow zip tie). Support pedestal end either on dock line running near pedestal or around pedestal. No problems man.

If that 90 degree turn bothers you, you can buy a 90 degree adapter. Me, I strap the cord to a rail with a Velcro strap to take the strain off the connector.

As far as connecting in the dark, glue something to the connector on what will be the top side when it's plugged in. Some cords have this molded in. You'll be able to feel which side is up. Or, carry a flashlight.
Thanks, Wes! All that sounds good but I don't have those problems anymore! :blush:

Dude! Is there seriously no way that you could disagree with someone without being a jerk about it?

You are so certain that you have all the answers and everyone else is wrong?

I'll be you're a real piece of work in person. :banghead:

You are right WesK, sorry that my post came across as it did. I will try to be more careful. It honestly wasn't my intent to be rude to Capt Tom.

BTW: The word is "capital", not "capitol".

Yet another of my many many failings. I really can't spell my way out of a wet paper bag. I will continue to work on that also, but after 57 years, I don't think there is much hope for me.

Good discussion, and no offence taken Dave; I've got a pretty thick skin. The important thing is we've covered quite a few pros and cons in a fairly small number of threads, so everyone can gain perspective.

Who knows, maybe this discussion has motivated someone brighter than I to find a way to meet the existing NEMA standards and improve safety. We already know there's a market for it, with considerable room for profit.

My 50 amp smartplug lasted about a year. The neutral prong burned just the other day. The 50 amp does not have the heat sensor. I went back to the standard plug because they are common and less expensive and I did not experience an improvement with the smartplug.

Like in so many other areas, maintenance is important here. Check for heat when the boat's AC has been running for an hour, check for burnt or corroded pins and sockets and use a cleaner made for electrical contacts followed by a coating of dielectric grease (on the blades and in the sockets).

With luck, you can expect your boat to outlive several power cords so buy a new one when it's time.

My 50 amp smartplug lasted about a year. The neutral prong burned just the other day. The 50 amp does not have the heat sensor. I went back to the standard plug because they are common and less expensive and I did not experience an improvement with the smartplug.

Thank you....I rest my case....:D

Never had a problem with the standard cord.

I prefer to pay a bit extra and purchase a power hose where the ends are not sealed on.

It is impossible to do much with these ends , except hack saw them off and install a Hubbel.

Cheaper to get the Hubbel first.

The problem with investing in the "best" power cord is that when you plug it in to a power pedestal with a damaged receptacle, your plug may be damaged. Many times these receptacles have loose or burned contacts and they can burn the contacts on your plug.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom