Power Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Has anyone had any experience with the Furrion power cords that Defender sells?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I bought a couple of them a few years ago before I switched over to the SmartPlug set up. The only difference I noted was they were stiffer than the marinco cords, I think it was because of the insulation covering.

I bought one and it works just fine although the blue led failed quickly. I called Furion and told them about it and they sent me a new cord. In 2-weeks the led failed again, so I called again and they sent me another cord. Now I have 3 cords as they did not want the others returned.

My 50 amp cord and adapters seem just fine...competitive in quality but the blue LED indicators are an issue.

Unknown if water intrusion is the issue.

Check these prices....

Electric Power Cords | ecspremier.com

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 80
My 50 amp cord and adapters seem just fine...competitive in quality but the blue LED indicators are an issue.

Unknown if water intrusion is the issue.

Check these prices....

Electric Power Cords | ecspremier.com

Since I really just need an extension on occasion, I wonder if I should go with one of these 25 ft cords. Any idea of the quality?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

No...and without cutting open any of them it's hard to tell.

So far out of all I have cut...the wire is usually the same/similar...it is the layers of insulation and connectors that make the difference. But to me...usually not enough to justify the excessive pricing.

I got this link from a TF member who was satisfies...but have no idea of who or their experience to satisfy a reasonable man theory.

So, how do you like the SmartPlug?

I converted my boat (30amp) to a smart plug shortly after I bought the boat. I think it is fantastic! It has a much more secure connection and when I use it there is never any question as to whether it is connected fully. I bought a 50' chord that I keep on the boat for when we are away and converted the end of my existing 50' chord that stays on the dock at my slip.

I bought a 50' chord that I keep on the boat for when we are away and converted the end of my existing 50' chord that stays on the dock at my slip.
I did exactly the same on my last boat and have added a 50amp SmartPlug to my existing boat. I think the SmartPlug is exceptional and can't understand why more people don't have them! Cost? (They aren't cheap!)

Old Boat

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 182
I looked and it was 5 years ago this month that I changed out to the Smart Plug. I created a blog entry at the time.

So, how do you like the SmartPlug?

I like them, it is easy to plug in if you get in after dark and They make a positive lock to the boat outlet. The safety aspect of using them makes me feel better as I liveaboard 9 months of the year but the ease of use to me almost justifies the cost to update.

... can't understand why more people don't have them! Cost? (They aren't cheap!)

For me, it's the principle.

If every few years someone "invents" a new system that makes our entire collection of cords, our power inlets and all the dock power outlets obsolete, I'll go broke.

Plus, it's a chicken-and-egg thing. If all the docks I visit start having the Smart Plug outlets, there will be more incentive to start shelling out boat bucks for new cords and connectors.

I can't disagree that the "old" standard connections leave a lot to be desired. To be honest, I've heard some grumbling about the "Smart" connectors too, although I've heard more praise.

The 30 Amp NEMA connector is a joke, the 50 amp is substantial and rarely a problem.

For small boats a smart plug makes sense to me....for any boat using 2 30A cords...I would just upgrade to a 50A service and use a regular MEMA plug or smart plug...either I feel is solid and safe.

At my last survey (for insurance), one of the recommendations was to change to a smart plug. The insurance co was so keen on this that they paid for most of it by a rebate when I renewed.

I can see that...but I can also see an entire industry that hardly would know the difference in why a 50 A plug is completely different than the 30A...

Last edited:
It seems to me that a Smart Plug only solves half of the problem, i.e. only one end of the cord. And it address the end that is less susceptible to problems since you have much more control over inspection and maintenance of the boat end of things.

For 30A service, I can sort of see the argument for them, but for 50A I agree with psneeld that 50A plug is pretty robust, so I don't see the compelling argument.

On my boat, I've got one cord on a reel so it's hard wired on the boat end, so no opportunity for a Smart Plug. And I've got several other cords so would have to convert multiple cords. And once converted, it would no longer be possible to daisy chain the cords together for more length, so that flexibility would go away.

It just seems a lot easier to inspect cord ends periodically and replace as needed. This should be done no matter what cord end you use, so the work is the same either way.

for me...it is all about keeping the connection secure (mostly what the smart plug is good at)...and the 50 A NEMA connection is just fine unless you really are out to lunch with keeping an eye on it...not like a 30 A that seems the wind can loosen.

Last edited:
The "Smart Plugs" may truly be an improvement over the standard twist lock style, but they are not standard. This means you can't borrow a cord and you might be out of luck in some areas if you need a replacement.

It might have been better if they had focused on a way to make the standard better.

Good point WesK.

And, back to the OP, the whole discussion started because the "name brand" cords are over-priced. The Smart Plug is not helping this problem.

Competition is good for consumers. Manufacturers want to avoid it by developing proprietary stuff they can sell for a premium.

A new, safer design that is compatible with existing connections would be worth paying more for.

An incompatible, higher-price design going up against an entrenched standard with a huge installed base is, IMHO, more about profit than safety.

Competition is good for consumers. Manufacturers want to avoid it by developing proprietary stuff they can sell for a premium.

A new, safer design that is compatible with existing connections would be worth paying more for.

An incompatible, higher-price design going up against an entrenched standard with a huge installed base is, IMHO, more about profit than safety.

Sorry Captain Tom, the above is hilarious. Almost sounds like Bernie Sanders. :rofl:

It almost sounds as if you would prefer that the marine industry stop immediately at trying to innovate. Don't come up with new products, simply have more folks try to improve the existing products and make them cheaper.

I would imagine that the innovators behind the Smart Plug are doing it exactly for profit reasons. Why else would they risk coming up with an "incompatible, higher-price design going up against an entrenched standard with a huge installed base" if it wasn't to make money!

Maybe you can help me think of any product or service found in and around the marine industry that doesn't exist to make a profit? (The USCG doesn't count)

I am perfectly happy that there are folks with new ideas willing to risk their capitol to bring new ideas to market. If the product or service is worth it to me, then we both win. I get a product or service that I find useful and they get to go out and buy that bigger boat they always have wanted.

I think resistance is that marinas replace power sockets as they fail....unless insurance companies forced the changeover all at once (the Government could but I think the gain/pain for them isn't worth it yet)...we are stuck in the half-way dilemma.

And what do you change? I agree that a plug that hangs from it's prongs is dumb...but the 50A doesn't and for the first time in my boating...I don't have little brown rings forming around my shore power prongs. So no push from me to switch to a 50A smart plug as I see little or no advantage because of the much better design over 30A plugs.

Last edited:
It might have been better if they had focused on a way to make the standard better.
I couldn't agree more but the fact is that they didn't! The old style, with it's fine threads, 90 degree turn and hard to connect in the dark, was a royal PITA to me. Over the years, when I was in a hurry, I can't count the times I started to cross thread the connection at the boat. The point that has been made about needing to borrow a spare is valid! The solution that has been noted in post #8 is really the only fool proof way to protect you from not having a SmartPlug when away from home.

Epilogue: The SmartPlug or similar connections are the wave of the future. They are far superior (albeit expensive) to the existing connectors and anyone who has intimate knowledge of the product fully agrees!

It's kinda like "wet cell batteries vs AGMs"...they both work but the AGMs are clearly the batteries with the least amount of maintenance required. (Albeit they are much more expensive.)

Attachments

• SmartPlug.jpg
    SmartPlug.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
It's kinda like "wet cell batteries vs AGMs"...they both work but the AGMs are clearly the batteries with the least amount of maintenance required. (Albeit they are much more expensive.)

That is the point I was trying to make above. I think AGMs are superior in many ways. However for me, the advantages didn't outweigh the costs when I change out my battery bank this year, so I went with the old technology, wet cells. In the case of the Smart Plug, the advantages were worth the added cost, to me.

Sorry Captain Tom, the above is hilarious. Almost sounds like Bernie Sanders. :rofl:

It almost sounds as if you would prefer that the marine industry stop immediately at trying to innovate. Don't come up with new products, simply have more folks try to improve the existing products and make them cheaper.

I would imagine that the innovators behind the Smart Plug are doing it exactly for profit reasons. Why else would they risk coming up with an "incompatible, higher-price design going up against an entrenched standard with a huge installed base" if it wasn't to make money!

Maybe you can help me think of any product or service found in and around the marine industry that doesn't exist to make a profit? (The USCG doesn't count)

I am perfectly happy that there are folks with new ideas willing to risk their capitol to bring new ideas to market. If the product or service is worth it to me, then we both win. I get a product or service that I find useful and they get to go out and buy that bigger boat they always have wanted.

I sound like Bernie Sanders? Now that's a low blow.

I didn't mean to suggest that innovation or profit was a bad thing, or that I'm not willing to pay extra for a better product.

I guess it depends on your definition of "better". If it means trying to create a monopoly through extensive spending on marketing, without concern for the customer's best interests, then I guess Smart Plug is better.

To me, a way to make it safer for EVERYONE, even those who are not in a position to rush out and replace their 3-4 power cords, 2-3 "Y" adapters, assorted pigtails and connectors, along with all the associated dock wiring and boat power connectors, would be "better."

My thought was that a truly "smart" plug would work with the old style outlets and inlets, and could be phased in over time as things are replaced.

But smart isn't rewarded.

Good point WesK.

And, back to the OP, the whole discussion started because the "name brand" cords are over-priced. The Smart Plug is not helping this problem.

I started this thread because all I could find when I searched was discussion of Smart Plugs...and that is pretty much what I got. Thanks to those of you who answered my original question.

I ended up buying a used Marinco cord from a boat down the dock that I will use when I need to extend my existing cord.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Dude! Is there seriously no way that you could disagree with someone without being a jerk about it?

You are so certain that you have all the answers and everyone else is wrong?

I'll be you're a real piece of work in person. :banghead:

BTW: The word is "capital", not "capitol".

I think resistance is that marinas replace power sockets as they fail....unless insurance companies forced the changeover all at once (the Government could but I think the gain/pain for them isn't worth it yet)...we are stuck in the half-way dilemma..

Do we really want the government getting involved in this? Favoring one manufacturer over another? Forcing marinas to spend thousands of dollars (each) replacing effective electrical sockets with arguably better ones? And forcing boaters to spend hundreds of dollars replacing effective and safe cordsets?

Perhaps the government could subsidize adapters like they did for the conversion to digital TV.

The current (no pun intended) system has worked well for many years. It helps if the boater used a little common sense like securing the boat end of the cord to a cleat or rail to take the strain off the connector and doing the same at the power pedestal by looping the cord around the hanger a time or two.

Trying to deal with two different "standards" would be a nightmare and the widespread use of adapters could make the situation worse.

I couldn't agree more but the fact is that they didn't! The old style, with it's fine threads, 90 degree turn and hard to connect in the dark, was a royal PITA to me. Over the years, when I was in a hurry, I can't count the times I started to cross thread the connection at the boat.

If that 90 degree turn bothers you, you can buy a 90 degree adapter. Me, I strap the cord to a rail with a Velcro strap to take the strain off the connector.

As far as connecting in the dark, glue something to the connector on what will be the top side when it's plugged in. Some cords have this molded in. You'll be able to feel which side is up. Or, carry a flashlight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom