Vancouver Boat Show and points north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gray Hawk
Vessel Make
Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
On Wednesday we slept in longer than we should have which meant we hit Active Pass against the current but that was a good excuse to open up the Lehmans and blow some carbon out.* Then we headed across the strait and rounded UBC into English Bay in early afternoon.* There are a lot of freighters tied up in English Bay - more than I ever remember seeing - so many in fact that they are tied up well down toward Kitsilano Beach - maybe more than a dozen although I didn't count them.* We wound our way between them and into False Creek where we tied up at Fisherman's Wharf.* (D-Dock if anybody is nearby)

We're here for the boat show and trying hard to stimulate the local economy by purchasing a dinghy for Gray Hawk.* So far that effort has failed but its still early going.* I'm having great difficulty getting my head around spending that much money for a rubber boat.* And on*the subject of too much money, we looked at a Wakesetter yesterday - couldn't resist because our other boat is a Response LX.* 89 thousand Canuck bux (or a mere $390 every 2 weeks for the rest of your life) - it didn't look like much c/w with what 90 grand will buy you in the used market.

We didn't have to dodge much flotsam on the way over but there were some big buggers at the entrance to English Bay.* A couple of them would have been worth salvaging.* Monday morning weather permitting we're headed north towards Jervis Inlet.

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Friday 11th of February 2011 09:23:18 AM

Attachments

• fcfw-1.jpg
    fcfw-1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 106
  • atanchor.jpg
    atanchor.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 101
  • floaterwithgull.jpg
    floaterwithgull.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 98
bobofthenorth wrote:......* Monday morning weather permitting we're headed north towards Jervis Inlet.

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Friday 11th of February 2011 09:23:18 AM

Jealous!* Heading up towards Princess Louisa?** There's a fabulous clamming spot near the Harmony Islands .... just scoop them up by the hundreds!* Be happy to share if you're interested.* Have a great trip, Alisa.

Any trouble finding a berth?* I'm headed that way soon with a delivery boat, and may need to lay over for a couple days while we wait for the frieghter it's being shipped on to load us. Any recomendations?* I've never been there. ............Arctic Traveller

@AT: Fisherman's Wharf was happy to accomodate us.* They warned us that we might be rafted but we have been side tied to the dock with nobody outside us since we got here.* Vancouver moorage has the reputation of being hard to find so you probably want to know ahead of time where you will be staying but it wasn't a problem for us.

@Alisa: We definitely plan to make it to Princess Louisa Inlet.* If you're willing to share your special spot I'm all ears/eyes.*

bobofthenorth wrote:@Alisa: We definitely plan to make it to Princess Louisa Inlet.* If you're willing to share your special spot I'm all ears/eyes.

Pst....it's up in Hotham Sound just past the Harmony Islands Marine Park (great anchorage BTW).* At the end of the sound you'll see Baker Bay and Lena Bay on the chart.* The point between them on the Baker Bay side has a small indentation showing a drying section.* It's actually an intertidal zone protected by rocks.* Anchor and stern tie....dinghy ashore and help yourself!* The water shouldn't be much more than a foot deep, although probably a little colder than when I was there in August
smile.gif

Thanks.

I won't tell a soul.* And if we ever meet up there's a plate of my world famous clam linguine in it for you.

Don't forget to check for PSP warnings first, it was quite a problem in Alaska last year..........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Don't forget to check for PSP warnings first, it was quite a problem in Alaska last year..........Arctic Traveller
A very*good idea.*There were no*warnings in August or the end of September 2010 but*I just checked*the DFO site, and area 16-2 to 16-13 inclusive is closed to*butter clams & horse clams.**

*http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&ID=recreational&ispsp=1&areas=east_coast

Too bad....it's a great spot
cry.gif

-- Edited by Killick on Saturday 12th of February 2011 05:33:28 PM

Killick wrote:

Arctic Traveller wrote:

A very*good idea.*There were no*warnings in August or the end of September 2010 but*I just checked*the DFO site, and area 16-2 to 16-13 inclusive is closed to*butter clams & horse clams.**

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&ID=recreational&ispsp=1&areas=east_coast

Too bad....it's a great spot
cry.gif

-- Edited by Killick on Saturday 12th of February 2011 05:33:28 PM

Alaska had a tragic summer with PSP.* Two people died, and several more were sickened.* Sadly, Alaska does not test for PSP.* I had collected a bunch of Clams, soaked them in water and cornmeal, but when it came time to cook them, I chickened out. Instead I waited till I got back to town and called to see if there were any warnings.* It was then that I learned that Alaska quit testing several years ago.* They now recommend you don't eat ANY clams, ever.* Too bad..............Arctic Traveller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom