Paint for the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
We are in the process of fixing up our 1987 Defever.
My co-captain wants to paint the heads and was wondering about what paint to use and would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks

If you want a nice shiny hard enamel type surface, then Rustoleum topside paints would be good. I would thin just a little and roll with a foam roller. All the brush marks go away. It is pretty low cost per quart.

We used Behr Premium Plus Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel tinted to the color we picked. Our walls are plywood.

We first filled any nicks or old screw holes with 3-M Marine Premium Filler, sanded/fared the repairs, then washed the walls with TSP. This paint is self priming. If you have major stains or a big color change, Behr makes and suggests a primer or Kiltz would work. We used a brush for the trim and a varnish roller for the rest. If you have a gloss finish, you should lightly sand the walls first before painting.

We changed from the Krogen green to a light blue in the head. It did take a while to find the color we liked. Home Depot sells or did, small sample cans that they tint for ~$2/each. I think we tried 3 colors before we found the one that fit. One quart could paint 10 heads for the amount of paint we used. :)

Great topic - I was/am setting up for a new panel, witch ( spelling correct) is eating me up & was thinking about this same thing last night. :Thanx:

I have used and highly recommend White Satin Trim and Cabinet Enamel to paint out bathroom cabinets. I like it so much I've started using it at home for all of our white trim.

I used it straight white and not sure if it is tintable but you might inquire if color is desired. It's available through Home Depot but not carried in the stores - I ordered it and picked up at the store so no shipping$.

It is water based urethane so clean up is easy. It goes on easy and is a very tough finish. I use a sm foam roller & brush. Their recommendation is for multiple thin coats vs a heavy coat if needed to cover darker wood or existing color.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the input. I have a quart of Rustoleum topside paint, so I'll try that ( Never thought of that,Thanks).

I just finished painting the forward head. I used Pettit Easypoxy and rolled it with a small foam roller and tipped it with a brush. I used white and it looks like gelcoat. I did the other head a year ago and the white does yellow quite a bit. Still pretty but not a bright white.

Don: Looks like interesting stuff. There is a tint base in addition to the white. Definitely worth a look. Thanks.

Cabinet Coat CC-4500, CC-4600, Satin

We used this for our home kitchen cabinets when it was only available at True Value. It has lasted very well for years. When we first used it it was only available in pastels and varying whites. If they have expanded the color tints I will use it again. Smooths out very well using brush or roller.

I'd much prefer satin or less gloss than that. One needs a surface in the head (not in the toilet Bill) that is easy to clean. A good ballance between gloss and cleanability is the key. However in a tight small place w fairly bright lighting gloss would be very undesirable IMO.

Shower walls and head walls

Are you talking about the walls or the actual toilets?

We are going to paint the shower walls and the head walls. We may try the cabinet coat.

Last edited:
baldfacepaint.jpg

Be careful of the type of foam rollers you use with Rustoleum since some rollers will disintegrate in about 10-15 minutes after contact, leaving bits of foam in your new paint job...

Extreme cleanliness of the shower surface is important to promote good adhesion.

For shower you might consider something designed for wet areas.

RT you've done it again. Took a topic & sent it to the dark side of the Moon. Colors like that, it won't be too hard to find the spots you didn't clean. Wax build up in the corners?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom