Debris in the Chesapeake ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
.... not a good day for your prop!

That's a water heater out there.* Where's the rest of the house?

Attachments

• hurrican__crap.jpg
    hurrican__crap.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 68
  • more__crud_frim_the_stomr[1].jpg
    more__crud_frim_the_stomr[1].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 73
Wow it sure didn't look like that in the lower Chesapeake yesterday. The water was as clear as I've ever seen it.

It may be on the way to you.* Stuff has been moving south.* This morning there was much less in the water just south of Baltimore.

We have more than that in the water frequently but the debris is not man made. It's just huge masses of sea weed. We also get a lot of logs and drift wood with really big tides. Looks to me like your "debris" was flood stuff that a high tide floated down into the bay.

There was a different effect of debris from Irene down here in Key Biscayne. We were nearly 200 miles from the storm center, but the surge pushed in a particularly high tide, and within a day or so, there wasn't a square foot of our cove here that didn't have jelly fish bumping into each other. I couldn't crank up the A/C or anything for almost a week. These jellies were between 8 and 20 inches in diameter, and were entirely overwhelming the strainers. Meanwhile, lots of the Krogen club members were up on the Hudson when the storm hit. Entire floating piers and docks were floating down river (with the boats still attached) along with about every dock accessory you could ever want for. Many ran out of post height and had to abandon their docks before the storm was over. One careened down river about 13 miles and chanced a turn into another creek, using full throttle to fight his way upstream only to find many others in trouble, and trying to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom