Launch Scrubbed - Another Ship in Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I grew up during the Apollo program. I still get a kick out of watching a launch live on YouTube.

Tonight they scrubbed the SpaceX launch. Not sure in the end if this was a factor, but they had to delay it once because there was a ship in the safety zone. "Foul Range" they called it.

This is the second time I know of.

Can anyone down in FL explain to me how it is that this happens? I assume there are LNM entries and plenty of VHF notices. You'd think the CG or NASA would post some boats out there to patrol the range.

Think of the cost that one idiot caused. I wonder if they get fined. Or sued.

The other option would be to launch anyway, and let Darwin sort it out if the thing crashes. But I suppose that would end up costing even more, the way our system works.

OK. I'm done venting. Maybe I'll catch the next launch.

Not the cause of the scrub from what I have read. Fuel loading issue.

Yes they scrub when vessels are in certain areas...I was watching a launch from Wallops last year that was scrubbed for a vessel in the range.

Yes they broadcast and publish...but way too many boaters are clueless...yes range vessels are out there but it's a freakin big ocean and not every vessel shows up great on the radar being used.

Usually they are not fined...just like people aren't billed for rescues...not sure at what point it becomes effective.

That title is sure confusing, I'm really sorry you didn't get lunch!

Call in a strafing run by a couple of fighter aircraft and that will put an end to boats being where they're not supposed to be.

That title is sure confusing, I'm really sorry you didn't get lunch!
Yeah, I was lookin' for a funny story there.

BTW, friend a yours?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Wifey B: Why don't you eat lunch if a ship is in range? Is there something about how you eat? Do you get on the floor and eat out of a bowl without using your paws? Are you afraid they'll come steal it? :rofl:

The area is quite large and I can easily understand someone straying into it. It extends 64 miles offshore on the day of launch.

While this launch wasn't canceled because of the boat there have been others. Actually the most recent and notable was the launch of Antares from Wollop Flight Facility in Virginia. Their "danger zone" is about 1400 square miles. On October 27, 2014, it was scrubbed by a 26' sailboat in the area. On October 28 it was launched and exploded shortly after liftoff.

In 2000 a launch from Canaveral had to be scrubbed. Boats strayed into the area as they were part of a fishing tournament scheduled the same day.

LOL, yeah, launch not lunch. Must get that keyboard fixed ;)

Reading more details today, the lAunch was scrubbed because of high temp/pressure int he LOX system, which looks to have been a result of the delay.

So, perhaps, the clueless boater WAS the cause.

I know there's a lot of ocean under the flight path, but when I weigh the cost and risk of delaying something as complex and expensive as a launch against some idiot who can't be bothered to turn on the VHF, I'm having trouble working up a lot of sympathy for the idiot.

LOL, yeah, launch not lunch. Must get that keyboard fixed ;)

Reading more details today, the lAunch was scrubbed because of high temp/pressure int he LOX system, which looks to have been a result of the delay.

So, perhaps, the clueless boater WAS the cause.

I know there's a lot of ocean under the flight path, but when I weigh the cost and risk of delaying something as complex and expensive as a launch against some idiot who can't be bothered to turn on the VHF, I'm having trouble working up a lot of sympathy for the idiot.

We're calling someone an idiot and we have no idea what the circumstances were. He may well be an idiot, but may not be. There are not lines in the water nor are there signs posted 64 miles out saying do not cross this point. Yes, anytime near Canaveral one should be listening and one should take an exceptionally wide path or stop. Certainly a very expensive act.

We're calling someone an idiot and we have no idea what the circumstances were. He may well be an idiot, but may not be. There are not lines in the water nor are there signs posted 64 miles out saying do not cross this point. Yes, anytime near Canaveral one should be listening and one should take an exceptionally wide path or stop. Certainly a very expensive act.

+1

If I was spending $1b on a rocket launch, i'd arrange for few patrol boats to block off access.

There are caution areas on charts...ya gotta do more as a cappy than just toss the lines off.

There are caution areas on charts...ya gotta do more as a cappy than just toss the lines off.

Not saying they shouldn't, just saying with enough launches there are going to occasionally be some issues. Again, I have no idea the boat or their reason. The bass tournament is still the one that gets me.

My use of the term "idiot" was hypothetical. Certainly if this was someone rushing a sick child to shore, or some other legitimate reason, I'd understand.

But I doubt my hypothetical situation is far from the mark most of the time.

The area is quite large and I can easily understand someone straying into it. It extends 64 miles offshore on the day of launch.

While this launch wasn't canceled because of the boat there have been others. Actually the most recent and notable was the launch of Antares from Wollop Flight Facility in Virginia. Their "danger zone" is about 1400 square miles. On October 27, 2014, it was scrubbed by a 26' sailboat in the area. On October 28 it was launched and exploded shortly after liftoff.

In 2000 a launch from Canaveral had to be scrubbed. Boats strayed into the area as they were part of a fishing tournament scheduled the same day.

I saw that live...it was the most wonderfully horrible thing I've ever seen.
I can tell you this the amount of air traffic prior to the launch is quite a liitle air show to behold....multiple AWACS, Helos, ect all in an effort to prevent a scrub.
The interesting thing was after the explosion the "blackwater" dudes got very aggressive about evacuating the viewing area.

heres what i had read : "Musk tweeted that the second countdown was halted and the launch was scrubbed due to "rising oxygen temps due to hold for boat."

Hope this attempt works out better, now if I can just get a little close to shore I'll get a much better shot with my go pro...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom