Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone familiar with Strongback's? This one just showed up on YW.

5645562_20160219174815516_3_XLARGE.jpg

Back to the $800,000 in upgrades/improvements on the Marine Trader.
We all have spent similar amounts on our boats IF you charge your labor up at $100 a hour or more and in this case maybe getting the hardware at cost and calculating it worth at MARINE pricing. Also if your the boss you do not want to lose your skilled workers if you run out of jobs for them so having them work on the MT when things get slow is a bonus.
I personally worked three years on our present boat after we bought it bringing up to date on improvements, and the bulk of it was my labor.

Last edited:
Can't you basically buy a brand new Nordy or Krogen for $800k? What owner would honestly invest that much money into a boat that size? I wonder how accurate or honest a lot of these boat brokers are, or if they proof read the specs they print which are coming out of seller's mouths.

It just shows you what value someone puts on $800k.

If you involve marine architects, interior designers and other experts, then do all the cad work to do the construction, you've already spent 25% of that. Materials would be another 25% or so, an then you add profit on the labor of those that actually did the work, and the location, it all adds up.

No, you can't buy a brand new Nordy or Krogen for $800k.

I saw a boat that advertised that the owner just spent 1.8m in a refit, mostly interior stuff and then was selling the boat for $2.8m...

Back to the $800,000 in upgrades/improvements on the Marine Trader.

We all have spent similar amounts on our boats IF you charge your labor up at $100 a hour or more and in this case maybe getting the hardware at cost and calculating it worth at MARINE pricing. Also if your the boss you do not want to lose your skilled workers if you run out of jobs for them so having them work on the MT when things get slow is a bonus.

I personally worked three years on our present boat after we bought it bringing up to date on improvements, and the bulk of it was my labor.

Really? I doubt most here could not add up $800k of improvements, even using $100 per hour for their labor.

It's a nonsensical number to put into an ad IMO. The number is so out of whack it makes people look stupid.

I would question the ethics of D'antonio if this number is real. If he was supervising this project, and if the boat owners were relying on him to help them make sound decisions, it sounds like greed overcame his good judgement.

Me too...but $800,000 is so far off the map I can't see it and I work in the marine trades from captain to bottom painter, electronics/electrical installer, light mech to glasswork....sorry...just can't imagine it all.

Sure...could I produce an estimate with labor and materials that would equal that much? Probably...but I have never met anyone in 50 plus years of boating that would probably execute it.

Now spread over 15 years or so could someone throw that much into a boat like that? Maybe, still don't see it and it would be a $100,000 dollar electronics suite, a $150,000 for new engines, genset, tanks and fuel system, a $150,000 dollar paint job inside and out, ....hmm give me some more time and I'm sure I can get up to that number....

Or...I still have $400,000 left....maybe I'll just buy a REALLY NICE $400,000 trawler to enjoy while my other $400,000 is being well spent.

Last edited:
Hey stubones99, the base price of a Nordy 40 has got to be under 800k. Perhaps a larger model as well.

I knew a sleazy attorney who was an expert in taking a 10k window leak and turning it into 500k in damages. Maybe this seller has those same wonderful skills (sarcasm).

I think I could be tricked into buying this one, not at the asking price, though.

Attachments

• Halmatic.jpg
    Halmatic.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 158
Wow that' a real tough-guy boat. What are those spray deflector-type thingies - are those multiple chines?

I've often thought that TF should have an award to poke fun at the member who spends the most on his or her boat in relation to its value, (might even be me), but only as a measure of humor in the madness of our insane passion for boats. The claims made about the DeAntonio vessel are simply amazing and beyond anything I would confess to, especially if I were a respected industry expert. That is, unless it was to the tax man.

Hey stubones99, the base price of a Nordy 40 has got to be under 800k. Perhaps a larger model as well.

I stand corrected... It's hard to get a real price on most of them since there are too many variables involved.

Like they say with cars; if any two people bought the same car and paid the same price, it was an accident.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. Nope. Not just you. I get stopped as well (Firefox). Beautiful boat boat but a bit shy on fuel (295 gal) depending on GPH IMO.

Last edited:
I am having a problem scrolling through the images on YachtWorld.com.

Is anyone able to scroll past the 5 or 6th image? Is it me?

I have the same problem with Firefox but no issues when I use IE. Same computer in both cases.

Recently having the same problems. Stops scrolling after a few images.
Also if I open a new tab but go to a different tab before it loads the images won't scroll until I reload that tab. This is a Macbook Pro using Safari.

I am having a problem scrolling through the images on YachtWorld.com.

Is anyone able to scroll past the 5 or 6th image? Is it me?

thanks!
Stu

I have been having the same problem over the past few days, exceedingly frustrating. It doesn't happen on my ipad, but does in Firefox on my computer. I tested it out last night with Window 10 version of IE and didn't have the problem.

As to the Sockeye, that is a nice boat. There is also its big sister for sale now in Seattle.
2007 Devlin Sockeye Fantail Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Both of those Devlin boats seem small on accommodations for their size, a single stateroom boat for + $ 700,0000 ?

Both have cool features .. but some of the finishes also look like backyard boats.. kind of inconsistent.

But the have nice lines.. I feel I need to say something nice

HOLLYWOOD

I like the boats as I look at them, but the whole time I am thinking "my wife would hate it".

I love those boats, their 'fine workboat' finish, and the way their interior spaces don't hemorrhage outwards resulting in a top heavy, unstable look.

Interesting though how both boats say "composite hull", and both go to great length not to mention plywood anywhere;

Devlin's patented Stitch and Glue construction method used for boat construction yields a strong, relatively lightweight structure that has at least the same or in most examples even greater strength than conventional fiberglass construction. The boat built with the Stitch and Glue method has maintenance similar to that of a painted fiberglass boat and has many additional advantages to other building methods. With the Stitch and Glue method the entire vessels structure is true Monocoque in type, with all the components of the boat contributing to the overall strength and stiffness of the structure. The Stitch and Glue boat doesn’t sweat or draw moisture like other methods of boat construction have a tendency to do, the hulls are quieter, all areas of the boat are accessible and if there is maintenance necessary, it is easy to gain access to the hull skin itself and repairs can be done simply and quickly with a very basic kit of tools and materials. Stitch and Glue construction has no potential for the dreaded nemesis of conventional fiberglass construction "gel coat blisters" as Devlin Boats used High Grade Marine Epoxy Resins for all lay-up, sheathing and sealing of the structure. By using only the very finest of materials in all aspects of the boats construction, Devlin Boats offers to you an absolutely unique and beautiful vessel.

and;

Our "Stitch and Glue" method is a vastly superior approach when compared to traditional boat assembly methods and delivers stronger, better boats. The Devlin Method uses epoxy to bond and seal all parts together thereby achieving a stronger, one-piece boat design. The initial construction is quicker, easier, and needs fewer parts. This approach does not require expensive building molds. More importantly, it results in a boat that is much easier to maintain over the long term. One well-known test was done on various materials to find out how well they hold up under constant pressure. Each material was put under direct pressure for 1 million cycles for 30 hours at a time.

-Straight Fiberglass kept only 22% of original strength,

-Aluminum kept 37% of original strength,

-Wood with epoxy kept 64% of original strength.

Do they have good reason not to say plywood, or are they just trying to avoid a pre-set unjustified prejudice?

Last edited:
I love those boats, their 'fine workboat' finish, and the way their interior spaces don't hemorrhage outwards resulting in a top heavy, unstable look.

Interesting though how both boats say "composite hull", and both go to great length not to mention plywood anywhere;

and;

Do they have good reason not to say plywood, or are they just trying to avoid a pre-set unjustified prejudice?

I'd guess that most of us have built some sort of plywood dinghy; I built one and repaired a second. For its weight its incredibly strong, but I water gets into the ply it can delaminate very quickly, as evidenced in ply sandwich decks.

I'd guess an old plywood boat is totally unsaleable.

Not necessarily unjustified...and if those boats were top of the line, quote "better boats"....

I think we would see a lot more and a lot of other 'lesser" boats with far worse reputations than we do.

I love the look...but still would have a hard time owning one on many levels unless it was one boat between several others and between my Citation and Lear on all the payment plans.

Lovely lines, definitely a "one last glance" boat, but the lack of covered side decks and outdoor spaces is a no-go for me, unless you like wearing rain gear lots and don't mind dripping inside the living spaces. Also no port-side wheelhouse door.

To compare a Sam Devlin Plywood/Epoxy boat to a homebuilt skiff is totally unfair. He is a consummate professional who builds heavy duty boats. These are not light weight skiffs. I believe we have a member who has a 48' twin screw that he had custom built to his needs. Beautiful boats.

To compare a Sam Devlin Plywood/Epoxy boat to a homebuilt skiff is totally unfair. He is a consummate professional who builds heavy duty boats. These are not light weight skiffs. I believe we have a member who has a 48' twin screw that he had custom built to his needs. Beautiful boats.

But how can he say "better"...they may be a lot of things but "better" is always debatable.

Gorgeous boat, perhaps a long way from practical in application and purchase price for me personally, but I sure appreciate it.

Wonderful boat.
Hollywood,
Probably has fewer accomodations but in larger more spacious dimensions. I like.
RTF,
300gal tanks too small? Not at all. This is an excellent heavy cruiser. No imitation trawler or tug. Not a passagemaker either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom