Frightening and fascinating at the same time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I thought this was about The Donald.

Wow is right. And it's funny, when they were demonstrating agility and its response to change by pushing it over, I naturally thought the robot was going to get annoyed and smack the human. We're in the Star Trek world with Commander Data already - robots don't get annoyed or angry, I can push him around all I want, no feelings of frustration involved. Funny how I load human emotion into those interactions.

If the Arnold Terminator was a T900, this thing is a T001. Maybe the T900's are closer than we'd like to think.

Are four limbed, two-legged robots the efficient design?

Why are we limiting limbs and hands etc.

Give it six legs for rough terrain, and to stop it being pushed over, and four arms and hands.

Why limit it to a human design? Give it the best of everything. Hell centipede legs and Budda arms!

Looks like we might be getting closer to needing Asimov's 3 laws of robotics. (ya gotta read him to know what that means)
John

now there's an idea RT
John

It will be ok, it just takes a while to go thru career politician withdrawal.

Some very smart people have publicly come out with concerns about robots getting some level of intelligence, or awareness, or whatever. Then again, every new technology had detractors who thought it was going to destroy civilization.

It did give me pause to think when I read some articles about the problems of programming self-driving cars. It turns out that safely driving the car is the easy part.

Ethical decisions are harder. I watched one video where a large truck was blocking the "in" lane of the parking lot. A human driver would simply ignore the law that requires us to stay in our own lane and go around it. The Google self-driving car sat there waiting for it's assigned lane to be clear, which could have been hours.

Can you program a robot to know which laws are OK to ignore, and when?

There are bigger dilemmas, such as choosing between having a head-on collision that kills your own passengers, or avoiding it by plowing into a crowd of bystanders. Or one bystander. Where do you draw the line?

Interesting stuff. Humans have never resolved these dilemmas for ourselves. Maybe robots will.

Greetings,
Many, many books, articles and movies have been and will be written/made regarding electro-mechanical devices approaching and achieving sentience. It WILL happen, I'm sure. Until such time (sentience) the populace will have to depend on the programmers to control the devices in such a manner so as to conform to Asimov's 3 laws of robotics but therein lies the rub.

In order for the device to conform to the 3 laws it would have to have some sense of morality/reasoning which would actually suggest that the device HAD achieved self awareness thus suggesting a life form...A dilemma indeed.

Mr RT-There may a new standard in Robotics-is a robot more sentient that the average Trump supporter?

Greetings,
Mr. THD. Until this thread is moved to OTDE I will withhold comment on such a controversial political topic regarding the "intelligence" of voters.

I've found it's not generally considered political (but remains accurate) if you question the collective intelligence of ALL voters...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom