Where to buy Dolphinite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Hello,

Getting ready to re-bed some windows on our GB-36 and not having much luck locating a source for Dolphinite in WA state. Fisheries does not show it, nor west marine. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Keith

I use butyl tape now, Dolphinite is a rare product. Martin Marine in North Vancouver has some.

Embarrassed to say I just found it on WM website... Not my favorite place to shop.....

Always check with Parks at Hopkins-Carter Marine...he will have it or probably know where to get it...

My go to for classic boatbuilding/repair stuff is Jamestown. Not cheap but for hard to find things like bronze hardware and stuff...

Dolfinite Bedding Compound

For windows or hatches the tape is easy and works great.

For deck fittings and any hardware like thru hulls that need to be removed Dolphinite is the answer.

Stay away from glue like 5200.

I have used butyl tape rebedding a hatch on my camper but did not think about it for rebedding the windows and frames on my GB. I will seriously look into this. The tape was/is very easy to work with and I also remember using it to install a new hatch on our Albin 25 years ago.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

Used it on my 16 window replacement....it does squeeze out like caulk but doesn't tend to rise to fill a gap like caulk...make sure you double up in areas that the window isn't very flush with.

All house window installers use copious quantities of butyl tape. I have had no trouble getting small quantities free or buying a full roll cheap from my local glass guy.

Reading the contributions to this thread makes me think how nice it would be to have a "Stores" category. Just a simple list of; Job---what to use---where to buy. Excellent posts, you guys.

And, everyone is on the same page.

Greetings,
Mr. H. "...everyone is on the same page." Problem is there are usually several equally acceptable approaches to the same problem. I agree, butyl tape does have it's uses but is it the "best" in any particular application? Personal decision. Same goes for deck seaming materials, caulk, waxes, filling compounds etc.

For example: I've had bad experiences with Life Caulk and as a result will opt to use another product. I've had good experience with 3M 4000 in certain applications and will continue to use it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom