Where to buy heat exchanger for Cat 3208NA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panhandler

Vessel Name
Sea Triscuit
Vessel Make
Transtar 50'
All,

We have a contract on a trawler with a single Cat 3208NA. Everything looks good except the heat exchanger housing is rusted and leaking. I'm sure the innards of the exchanger aren't great either. I'm having no heck of a time finding where to purchase a replacement if this one isn't repairable. Suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks. Engine surveyor said the heat exchangers are no longer available but could sometimes be found on eBay. Looked but no luck for the NA at the moment.

Try Gold Coast Power in Ft. Lauderdale, they deal in a lot of second hand engines and parts. You might consider trying to refurb the casing and check with Sendure and see of the have the HX itself; before you spend money have the HX tested and cleaned.

Cat Dealer

I'd verify with another Caterpillar dealer. In 2014 we replaced the end caps on our 3208NA heat exchangers. I thought the entire exchanger was available, they even had the old style Bronze end caps vs newer composite ones.

Many times the original part#'s are discontinued but counter help has always been able to locate the new replacement part#'s in their computer system. So far we have not found any parts that aren't available from CAT for the 3208NA.

Thanks, all. Avalon, I called my local Cat dealer and, while I need the serial number to confirm, he indicated it shouldn't be a problem. Interesting...

I've bought parts for 60 year old Caterpillar equipment, if a old part isn't available there will be a update to accomplish the repair.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

That's great to hear. Thanks, all. I'll be calling the dealer with the engine SN tomorrow.

Cat also uses a arrangement number on engines, that tells them how it was specifically set up from the factory. Whether it's a truck, equipment, marine or stationary power and then breaks it down further to what parts are used in any application.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

When you say housing are you referring to the day tank or the tube that houses the bundle? Never seen the bundle tube leak. It is quite thick steel. The tank mounted to it is a different case. Once they start leaking best to cut them off and replace. The end caps on the older exchangers are bronze. They are easy to repair if they need patching. I'd try to save those if possible. The new end caps from CAT are plastic. You have to be very careful with these not to over tighten the zincs. Doing so will twist out the threaded inserts.

Someone who is close to you is Exhaust Systems of Alabama. They are over in Fairhope. Bring them the old exchanger and they can build you a new one. Just be ready as it won't be cheap no matter where it comes from.

Quote: "So far we have not found any parts that aren't available from CAT for the 3208NA."

You maybe right, but I can tell you from experience that there are many parts (at least on the TA's) that take forever to get. I guess CAT waits until there is enough standing orders before they goto an outside vender to have the parts made. Waited about three months for a pair of aftercoolers once.

Last edited:
Capt. John, it's the tube that houses the bundle. A spot toward the center of it just rusted out.

If it's the center bottom that's were the drain plug is. Might be a simple fix.

Good to hear. I'll post some pics when I make it down again.

Back
Top Bottom