Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #45
kthoennes
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
...The problem is the buyers time frame of 24 hours from wheels down on his flight into town, to sea trial....
Well, yes, but whole point of money up front is to demonstrate the serious intent of a buyer, so you don't waste your time and effort in providing access to the boat for inspection and survey and end up giving tire kickers a free boat ride for no good reason. Spending $1000 or more for a trip down there seems like a pretty good demonstration of serious intent to me and not tire kicking.

Heck, when we were boat shopping, if all we had wanted was a boat ride I could have done it a lot cheaper near home instead of dropping about $1200 for my wife and me to jump across the country for a weekend. Other posters are right, the seller and broker can set whatever transaction terms they want, and the buyer can accept them or walk away. To me though, this discussion is a good example of why there's so much broker bashing on boat forums. Brokers are supposed to facilitate boat sales, not throw up hurdles and make the process more difficult or elaborate. If I'm a seller and somebody wants to hike across the country to seriously consider buying my boat in a 24 hour window, yipee.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote