Paint 135HP Perkins Engine Estimate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joncon

Greetings all... been around lurking for a while, learned much from yawl thanks... we bought a 1985 Monk 36 last Oct 2015 for doing the Loop and she's resting in a boat yard in Maine. Time to get something's on the punch list done that I can not do myself... if I could ask for some advise on yard estimates :rofl: "I know" not new to old boats but old in health/years! Yard estimates Paint Engine 135 HP Perkins "needs it' 16 Hours @ $65 per + $ 100 Materials = $1140.00 ballpark fair?

Like how long is a piece of string ? In boat out of boat ? Hard to even guess the cost and time without knowing the condition of the motor some just need a spruce up othere's need blasting prime and 2 coats ???????????

Well. . .. Time is money to a boat yard.
But if you want to save $1100 and you don't mind getting your hands dirty. . . . do it yourself. It's not that difficult, maybe a good weekend project.

Start by removing the belts, hoses, cover and mask where necessary. Degrease the engine with engine degreaser and remove all the loose paint with a scraper and wire brush. Buy some primer and 2 or 3 cans Perkins blue spray paint . (I use Ford Blue engine paint it's close enough for me.) And have at it.

ps: Make sure you have good ventilation (air flow) through the engine room and it's wise to wear a respirator rated for spray paints and chemicals.

Greetings,
Mr. E. Mr. j states he is unwilling to take this on as a DIY project but using your suggestion, he could probably hire someone (not the yard) and under Mr. j's direction and tutelage accomplish much the same as a pro job with spray cans.

Probably still save considerable $$ in spite of having to hire a person...

i'd happley pay $5000 to paint this one :) :)
img_418705_0_90e4d7d2c88fbf7adc7de73840ef3f8a.jpg

Thanks all... motor is in the boat run's well needs paint Health Issues prevents me from DIY... Painting a engine I've done in the past, COPD & Paint in closed environment know can do anymore... Yards are expensive 50 plus years of boats I can attest to that, Thanks again

Buy some primer and 2 or 3 cans Perkins blue spray paint . (I use Ford Blue engine paint it's close enough for me.) And have at it.

Blue isn't the only color. Our 6.354 is red. Have also seen them in yellow, green, orange and other colors but mostly for farm and other industrial equipment. Suspect the default color for marinized versions is blue and I am clueless why ours is red.

Blue isn't the only color. Our 6.354 is red. Have also seen them in yellow, green, orange and other colors but mostly for farm and other industrial equipment. Suspect the default color for marinized versions is blue and I am clueless why ours is red.

Don't know if it's true, but back in the day :oldman: they used to tell us that the European and Asian marine Perkins were marketed in red and North American in Blue.

Industrial, generators and farm equipment engines are often painted to match the manufactures chassis color scheme, regardless of the engine manufacture.

But I have seen 6-354's in Canada that were red too. Most U.S. Perkins seem to be blue.

Last edited:
Painted my Perkins HT 6-354 with blue Tremclad with a brush. Colour is almost perfect and stood up exceptionally well for 16 years.

Attachments

• ENGINE 2.jpg
    ENGINE 2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom