Do you use your AP remote?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Raymarine 6000 and wireless remote.....100% reliable till the batteries get low but no real surprises if you are paying attention. It doesn't affect the AP...just like a TV remote...it just won't change anything and 2 AAA batteries can be installed in a minute.

Raymarine 6000 and wireless remote.....100% reliable till the batteries get low but no real surprises if you are paying attention. .

Same here. Since I do not have a secondary hard control on the bridge, and that's where 90% of my piloting is done from, the wireless control is invaluable..

7742_pd1573039_2.jpg

exactly why I bought mine....cheaper than a second head.

Personally know of two remote AP failures, they were not pretty. Not so smart a set of decisions as to when and where to use them though. But it is a wired world today, can even do it from an IPad using TZ touch I betcha :eek:

For snotty weather cruising where multiple plotters and radar required remote APs are a challenge. Or how about a quick power cut to miss a log? Is there not a legal requirement to have the helm manned?

I believe a proper lookout is required...no helmsman required as long as you can comply with Colregs (still under command).

I see no reason a remote (at least the kind I have) would be any more prone to failure than other components in the AP system...probably way less likely.

Anyway, I don't think any one is saying ignore watchkeeping or helmsmanship....just "hands on" steering is not necessary if you can still get to the wheel and controls in an adequate fashion and your remore isn't on the fritz.

My remote is like a TV remote...it isn't DOING anything...it just changes the settings on the head when asked to. I don't know what it would take to send a false signal...but with as many dumb remotes that are out there...failing to work is common, failing by sending false signals I would think is pretty rare....I have never seen one.

Last edited:
I have the marina installing a ComNav 1420 AP right now. It will have a control head at each helm, each control head is on a 25' cable, it snaps into a clip on the helm or can be removed for use. When it's in the clip the cable coils under the helm so it's not cluttering up the helm, I hope to be using the remote very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I use mine often. On a nice calm day, there is nothing like sitting on the bow (top of the forward cabin), sipping a cocktail and enjoying the view.

sunchaser said:
But it is a wired world today, can even do it from an IPad using TZ touch I betcha.
Makes me think about when my kids were young and as we drove through neighbourhoods they would hit the garage remote to see how many doors opened.

"On a nice calm day, there is nothing like sitting on the bow (top of the forward cabin), sipping a cocktail and enjoying the view."

The bow cockpit on a Midnight Lace is not limited to just nice days.

Got a Sawsall?

Sometimes in this position, I have the hardwired remote AP in my hand, (rather than a G&T). It's always been 100% reliable.

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 69
That was the thinking behind my post. In Ted's example, on the troller, he had other controls at hand. Still wouldn't like climbing a ladder to the bridge dragging a cable or curly phone cord. Maybe a wireless would make me feel more comfortable, I don't know.

On my boat, there was a full in-dash control head as well as an AP remote (wired) at both helms.

AusCan; said:
Sometimes in this position, I have...
I have...a hard, really hard time getting up when I hear the transmission eating itself.

In summary, the OP was "Do you use your AP remote?" with the comment "I just can't get used to the idea of being away from the helm." It wasn't "Do you use AP?"

I'm ok with the remote in hand within easy reach of the helm.

As a tool, I get it; as an entertainment aid, I don't.
While dipping humus, mixing a Red Sky or just getting frisky on the foredeck, Mr. Murphy could arrange for a Humpback to raise the bow, causing that wireless mini pad to skitter down the side deck to the cockpit, just as the pilothouse door slides shut and locks itself.

While dipping humus, mixing a Red Sky or just getting frisky on the foredeck, Mr. Murphy could arrange for a Humpback to raise the bow, causing that wireless mini pad to skitter down the side deck to the cockpit, just as the pilothouse door slides shut and locks itself.

I like your imagination.:thumb:

I have...a hard, really hard time getting up when I hear the transmission eating itself.

In summary, the OP was "Do you use your AP remote?" with the comment "I just can't get used to the idea of being away from the helm." It wasn't "Do you use AP?"

I'm ok with the remote in hand within easy reach of the helm.

As a tool, I get it; as an entertainment aid, I don't.

Hawg, - I think your helm chair is more comfortable than mine. I spend less than 50% of my time at the helm on a long trip.

I normally do the rounds between up on the bow, either lazing and checking the sails and doing a good 360 visual check, back to the cockpit for an engine check, check stuffing box, bilge water etc, then at helm to check plotter, temperatures, etc and another visual, then maybe a food beverage or toilet break, and back to the bow.

Wherever I am on a 30 foot boat, I'm never more than 10 seconds away from the helm; even if I have to reach inside the side window to quickly take manual control.

AusCan; said:
Hawg, - I think your helm chair is more comfortable than mine.
Naw, it's a geographical thing, mate.

Attachments

• Oz.png
    Oz.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 225
  • BC.jpg
    BC.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 195
Well Ya! Are there people that don't? I find it a requirement, especially in my Jammy's and a cup of java with the heater on.
And on a nice day, the cord will reach the fly bridge, just so I don't have to stretch for the wheel.

We discovered that the auto pilot control had a 10' cord on it about a year after buying our boat. Nothing like cruising your way up a long, winding, narrow inlet with mountains towering on either side, sitting on the pilothouse roof with your feet dangling in front of the windows :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom