Charger Clutter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel112r

Guru
Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
North Pacific 42
Installed 3 of the outlets. They replace regular 110 receptacle, and give you 2 usb ports for charging. USB OUTPUT IS 4 amps. Now you can stow all those phone, ipad camera etc chargers. This one made by Top Greener, available on Amazon. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456362322.824567.jpg

Yep, installed them on the boat and the condo. Work well.

Does the 120vac outlet still work as well?

I saw one by Belkin that had a wedge shaped clip below it to hold your phone. The wedge was sloped so that it would hold different sized phones easily.

Hubble now makes one for the marine market.

It may not be anything different than what they sell for use on land. I saw it at a trade show a few months ago and thought it was a good idea.

They also make an outlet with a built in surge suppressor.
Here is a link to the Hubbell page that shows both new outlets.
Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems

and is the built in type any safer than wall warts....a fear that was recently strengthened by my Samsung tab almost catching fire.

You can look this stuff up on the Internet.

I didn't find anything about an isolated ground, but I wouldn't expect it to matter. The electrical part is straightforward.

I found this for one brand:

Smart Power feature only outputs enough charging power required by the attached device
Energy-efficient, spring-loaded Safety Shutter design turns USB ports off when connecting cable is removed

Also, the USB part seems to be controlled my a chip. My guess is, there's no transformer so they would not have the possible issue of an overheated transformer and fire. That's only a guess.

These still require the USB cable and to turn them off you would have to remove the cable from the outlet as well as the device.

I might install one but I'm not sure if my cameras will charge through the USB port. They are a few years old.

Last edited:
I did look it up on the internet and while you provided half the answer...I will wait for the other half. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom