Summer screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User915

Perhaps some of you would be interested to see my window screens for summer. Very strong and convenient, the screens allow air to pass what is good when we open the windows, they protect the furnitures and electronic devices from direct sunlight, we can still see the outside from inside but people from outside can't see the inside of the boat. Moreover, the screens are a perfect mosquito netting.

BATYLINE FABRIC : "A synthetic woven fabric pioneered for use in furniture and as window canvas for RV and pleasure boats. Batyline is extremely strong and provides full support whilst remaining supple. The weave allows air and liquid to pass freely through it, whilst the synthetic nature of the fabric prevents any deterioration in humid atmospheres. Due to this fact, and also given its excellent UV resistance; antifungal treatment and open weave that does not return water; the Batyline fabric is particularly suitable for garden, pool side furniture and yacht canvas.
Batyline canvas is also very resistant to tearing, does not distort and is easy to maintain. Cleaning the fabric is simple, needing only a brush and soapy water, and it is also environmentally friendly - Oeko Tex label (fabric confidence - control of non-toxic substances)".

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 158
That looks very nice...

Thank you Janice for your comment, I appreciate especially coming from the expert on boats you are. You already know I'm a big fan of your very professional website.
Congratulations to Betsy - your engine - for running again !
Fair winds,
Olivier

Olivier,

Those screens look great on Lutin. What a nice addition to your boat. We have screens on Beachcomber and it definitely is nice to be able to open the windows to let the breeze flow through but keep out the bugs.

In that photo it looks like the material is a fabric that has been coated with some type of coating? Also, I looked at their website and it appears there are two different weave patterns, one much more densely woven than the other. Which weave pattern did you choose?

serge-ferrari-batyline-iso-7407fr-5260-sling-mesh-fabric-pl-121828-883.jpg
serge-ferrari-batyline-iso-7407fr-5015-sling-mesh-fabric-pl-121827-d10.jpg

Olivier,
Those screens look great on Lutin. What a nice addition to your boat. We have screens on Beachcomber and it definitely is nice to be able to open the windows to let the breeze flow through but keep out the bugs.

In that photo it looks like the material is a fabric that has been coated with some type of coating? Also, I looked at their website and it appears there are two different weave patterns, one much more densely woven than the other. Which weave pattern did you choose?

serge-ferrari-batyline-iso-7407fr-5260-sling-mesh-fabric-pl-121828-883.jpg
serge-ferrari-batyline-iso-7407fr-5015-sling-mesh-fabric-pl-121827-d10.jpg

Hi Mike,

Always pleased to read from you, many thanks for your kind comment.

I did choose the less densely weave pattern, what is the most suitable for canvas on a boat. I forgot to explain my screens are attached on the outside of the windows.

The more densely weave pattern is only for garden (or deck) furniture like armchairs or sofas.

I attached a picture of an outdoor armchair made with the more densely weave pattern.

Best regards to you and your family,

Olivier

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 116
Translucent from the inside, blackout from the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 135
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Z.jpg
    Z.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 152
We have the same screens on our aft deck. They are great. They cut the temp by 10degrees as well.
Provide 1 way privacy. Wouldn't be without them.

We have the same screens on our aft deck. They are great. They cut the temp by 10degrees as well.
Provide 1 way privacy. Wouldn't be without them.

You are right about the temp cut as well. Sorry, I forgot to say that. Thanks.

I really like this! Need some bug screens.

I have snap-type sunbrella window covers on the outside of my windows I use when away. Could something like this be retrofitted? How would the area between the snaps be sealed against bugs? Or is this not how it works.

Thank you Janice for your comment, I appreciate especially coming from the expert on boats you are. You already know I'm a big fan of your very professional website.

Thank you Olivier... I'm still learning and enjoying the lessons. I wish I was half as smart as my Daddy.

I really like this! Need some bug screens.

I have snap-type sunbrella window covers on the outside of my windows I use when away. Could something like this be retrofitted? How would the area between the snaps be sealed against bugs? Or is this not how it works.
Cardude, I have snap-on screens on Beachcomber and they're made of a material called Pfifertex(sp?). The edges of each piece of screen is doubled over so it's fairly stiff. When a piece is snapped on, the edges are tight against the sides of the windows and there's no room for bugs to get between the screen and the window frame. .

img_417978_0_bcb05a1aaee67e4f6580f106fe9fa866.jpg

Cardude, I have snap-on screens on Beachcomber and they're made of a material called Pfifertex(sp?). The edges of each piece of screen is doubled over so it's fairly stiff. When a piece is snapped on, the edges are tight against the sides of the windows and there's no room for bugs to get between the screen and the window frame. .

Mike, it looks so nice !

This looks so good. Could/would You tell us how You framed it. In Palma at he moment, working.." but bringing "my own" from Northern Europe in early summer.

Oliver...

Very nice - I have a similar set and agree with all of your comments.
Did you make these yourself?

For anyone interested in doing some of their own canvas work this is a great starter project.
Also see DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

This looks so good. Could/would You tell us how You framed it. In Palma at he moment, working.." but bringing "my own" from Northern Europe in early summer.

Thank you Jonza !

I got the idea last summer looking at some mega yachts moored in Antibes what had these screens on the windows of the navigation bridge. I went to a local upholstery and ordered 3 screens for a test. I was happy with them then I ordered more screens for all the windows of the salon.

In September 2015 I paid 1000 euros / 1100 USD for 11 screens for the windows of the salon, fabric + custom fit + installation with strap-type by the upholstery, all included.

I will be aboard after tomorrow and will post pictures of the details, straps, etc...

You mean you are in Palma de Mallorca ? I went there with my former Grand Banks 42' classic, it's beautiful.

Oliver...

Very nice - I have a similar set and agree with all of your comments.
Did you make these yourself?

For anyone interested in doing some of their own canvas work this is a great starter project.
Also see DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

Many thanks Bacchus !

No I was not able to make these myself, I ordered to a upholstery in Antibes, who custom fitted and installed them aboard.

The link you posted is very interesting, thank you !

Olivier.

Yes, I´v lived in Palma 7-8 years. It is beautiful but a crazy expensive place to keep Your yacht :( Lot´s of work for a tech like me though :) Btw, the city changes its name from Palma to Palma de Mallorca everytime there´s a new local government... Palma is the oldest and Palma de Mallorca was invented so the poor tourists wouldn´t go to the Canaries ( Las Palmas) by mistake....

- Jonas

Just remember for privacy the screens can be inside or outside.

For temperature reduction inside , only outside mounting works.

Last edited:
Just remember for privacy the screens can be inside or outside.

For temperature reduction inside , only outside mounting works.

FF,
You are right, about privacy it doesn't matter inside or outside. As a mosquito / bugs netting, in my opinion and from my experience it's a lot better to have the screens outside the frames of the windows than inside.

Inside wouldn't work on my boat. I have sliding windows in the salon that you couldn't get to easily if there were screens in the way. Plus, I have aluminum mini-blinds on the inside of each window. Having the screen on the inside would interfere with the operation of the blinds.

.. I have aluminum mini-blinds on the inside of each window....
Please excuse the drift, I`ve seen pics of boats with them, you have them, can you answer the obvious? Do they rattle?

Hi OMC, can you see in from the outside at night with interior lights on?

Inside wouldn't work on my boat. I have sliding windows in the salon that you couldn't get to easily if there were screens in the way. Plus, I have aluminum mini-blinds on the inside of each window. Having the screen on the inside would interfere with the operation of the blinds.

Hi Mike,

To having the batyline screens inside is not the right way to do for the reasons it does not look nice inside, does not cut the temperature, not that convenient and not "clean" against the bugs. All of mine are outside.

By the way I have as well snap-type sunbrella window covers on the outside of my windows I use when away, they came with the boat when i bought her. When I am aboard I remove the sunbrella window covers then I use the same snaps ( I mean the part of the snaps what is fixed on the boat) for the "summer screens".

Olivier

Attachments

• Img_0807.jpg
    Img_0807.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 78
Hi OMC, can you see in from the outside at night with interior lights on?

Hi A330NRT,

Good question. At night with interior lights on, it is some less blackout from the outside at less than 2 meters (6.5 feet) from the windows. More than 6/7 feet away, it's really fine (at least with the quality of Batyline fabric I have aboard).

Olivier

Some pictures for those who have asked how the screens are installed aboard.
The screen seems to be slightly curved. They are not, it is simply a distortive effect of the pictures due to the camera of my cellphone.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 80
Sorry I forgot to say the upholstery reinforced the border of the screen with a strip of polyvinyl fabric to hold the snaps and to protect against any friction of batyline on the frame of the windows.

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
We have similar and love them. See avatar. You can see out through them surprisingly well, though when under way we remove the pilot house screens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 86
Cardude, I have snap-on screens on Beachcomber and they're made of a material called Pfifertex(sp?).

Everyone seems to be doing this it seems, and I will as well. Phifertex is easily sewn on home machines and available through Sailrite in lots of colors.....

here

Double-snap offers more convenient options, both screen / canvas can be held.

Attachments

• IMG_5881.JPG
    IMG_5881.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Img_5883.jpg
    Img_5883.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Img_5885.jpg
    Img_5885.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Img_5887.jpg
    Img_5887.jpg