Crossing Florida via Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, i intend to explore the west Florida side and maybe move to there. Thank you for the advise

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Alemao, it is a very nice area, I think you would enjoy it, the boating is fantastic.

It's an easy trip, and water will be high all the way until winter this year, it looks like...

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

It's an easy trip, and water will be high all the way until winter this year, it looks like...

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

:thumb: You're right, water is real high!

We just went across the Lake for the first time and would recommend it. Lena's a civil engineer and to see/partially understand what the Army Corp did is pretty amazing, right or wrong. The St Lucie Canal is not as interesting as the Coloosahatchee River but still worth the look. There are plenty of places to anchor and sites to see. The locks are easy, not the Panama Canal but still fun. We took five days and could have doubled that. A high light was the visit with FF at Turkey Creek.

The first couple shot are going through the Mayaca Locks. During the day, the lock gates were wide open as they dump water. It looks like we're climbing up hill. The third pic, we're tied between a set of dolphins before a set of locks. Then the free public docks in La Belle which include water, electricity and wifi. And darn we were there a week early. :)

Attachments

• 024a.jpg
    024a.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 026a.jpg
    026a.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 017a.jpg
    017a.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 004a.jpg
    004a.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 135a.jpg
    135a.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 260
. The locks are easy, not the Panama Canal but still fun. We took five days and could have doubled that. A high light was the visit with FF at Turkey Creek.

Yes, the locks on that trip are fun. The scenery beautiful. I don't think fun is the way to describe transiting the Panama Canal. It's awe inspiring. It's an incredible experience. But it's also a very intense and pressurized experience. A lot of "wows", not sure a lot of "This is sure fun" while doing it although as soon as we exited there was a "Boy, that was fun, lets go back through." That was followed by a lot of laughter, but we didn't turn around to try it again. The difference is there is only one Panama Canal. There are many canals like those on the Okeechobee route. Still, not any identical. We look forward to Erie Canal, but I'm betting we're not going to see alligator's sunning there.

First time, I really had to be talked into Okeechobee and even then it was "Ok, I'll do it once." I think we've now done it four times and will do it many more. I'm sure some here have done it dozens of times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom