North Pacific 43 & Nordic Tug 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
After long discussion with my wife, these are two boat that we are seriously considering. I could be very happy with a smaller boat, but my wife wants plenty of room for family or other couples to go with us.

For the next several years, the boat would be a weekender and 2 week vacation type of boat in the Salish Sea. Once I can cut back on the amount that I am working, I am hoping for some longer trips. Eventually when I retire, I would like to do the Inside Passage.

One issue for us is cost. We could afford a used NP43, in the 2006-2010 range or we could afford a NT42 in the 2000-2002 range. The newer boat would have newer electronics etc... which would be nice. I have a circa 2005 Raymarine package now and would really not like to go down in capability in my next boat.

The other issue is cost of ownership. Unsure about repairs, but the North Pacific would likely be a bit more fuel efficient as it generally has a smaller engine.

Pros and Cons from my perspective so far:
- I am not crazy about a flybridge. A NT42 without one would be nice.
- Don't like the lack of a side deck around the NP salon. As a sailor it makes me a bit uncomfortable.
- Do like the interior space provided by the NP
- New systems and electronics would be good
- The NP is butt ugly

I have searched and found a very few references to the North Pacific. I did read about the complaints about there not being electrical boxes for the AC outlets. However, beyond that does anyone have any experience with these boats. Short of actual experience, seeing as this is TF, I would love to hear from those that share my specialty, uninformed opinions.

I would say, that I would not buy a boat that I considered butt ugly. Best go for the Nordic Tug.

Is this the style and model?

2012 North Pacific 43 Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This second posted photo is what I view a Pacific Trawler
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...othouse-2844425/OR/United-States#.Vs1IsvkrLIU

When I first read your post and having visualized the 42 foot Nordic as I know them, and what I had perceived was a North Pacific is not! The Pacific trawler I am familiar with has a group discussion of its own on the TF under the specific boats nomenclature. Clarify? Thanks,
Al-Ketchikan 27 Marben Pocket CRUISER

Last edited:
I would support Rebel112r when he says don't buy a boat you consider butt ugly but at the same time, give it a chance. And nurture him, he could be your new best friend when it comes to the NP.

Don't discount an older boat because you think it has old electronics. Chances are good it has been upgraded and might even have newer stuff that the 2010 NP.

And smaller engines does not automatically translate to better economy.

Me? Either one for different reasons but more likely the NT.

Last edited:
Rebel, please forgive my intemperate language with regards to the appearance of the NP43. It was in poor taste and likely offensive to any NP owner. You do have the experience with this boat so I would be very interested in your perspective. A few specific questions; Being in the PNW how often do you make use of the flybridge? Is it ever a problem not having side decks to get from the computer to the bow? How is the visibility aft from the Pilothouse?

Al, I am a bit confused but yes, the North Pacific 43 is not the same as the Pacific Trawler.

Hawgwash, You are right. My first reaction to the NP43 was that is didn't fit my mental picture of an attractive boat. However, as I have looked at them more, it is starting to grow on me. In essence, there are some very nice features in the design and functionality has its own attractiveness.

the np has a very nice interior,but from an external view,I agree about the butt ugly part.To me,its the pilothouse shape.best of luck with whatever you decide.

No need to apologize, every body likes what the like. I never thought my 42 was the prettiest girl at the party either. Great value for the buck though. Seems like most of the used, are in the 300k range. If somebody wants to trade a Fleming for my NP, let me know. There are lots of boats, that have looks that I like. Love the stern on the Cherubini, pilot house on Nordy 46, Selenes are very nice. Mikelson 43 interior is so nice. But I have a NP 42, and it works well for me. We use the flybridge much less with the 42 then we did with the previous boats. Am up there on very nice days and for most docking. Also sit up on the fore deck with auto pilot remote on nice days when making a few miles. Visibility from pilothouse is very good, but not good looking aft, need to stick your head out the doors. The side deck issue has not been a problem, one cleat is hard to get to. There is enough edge to move along side decks, but you better be hanging on. Very secure feeling on the foredeck, the bulwarks are knee high and railings are close to shoulder level. NP has listened to owners over the years, and made changes. We spent 100 nights on boat last season, more this year, actually going out Thursday for 3-4 nights.

The first time I saw a KK42, I thought it was an odd looking boat. Squat and sat like a toad in the water. We had considered both the NT and the NPT. Both are excellent boats. I found the NPT "narrow" (<13') but inside it makes great use of space. I preferred the Pilothouse on the NPT, although I think the edge on construction goes to NT. They really are very well made boats.

"Pacific Trawlers" are also with considering, if you can find one.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thanks for the feedback so far. Rebel, it is good to know that it hasn't been a problem with not having a side deck around the saloon. One thing I failed to mention that I really like about the NP over the NT is how the boat deck extends over the cockpit. Our weather is so wet, even during what passes for the "warmish" season. My wife would like being able to sit out in the cockpit during a gentle mist and have a cover over her head. The NTs made a mistake by not extending it in my opinion, something that the American Tugs, North Pacific, and Helmsman boats did.

JD, I really like the KK42. The killer for us is the Pullman berth and more exterior teak to maintain.

I echo the comment about NPTs being narrower than expected, particularly the PH.

Keith

The major difference I have noticed between the NT42 and NP43 is the size of the pilot house. Without a flying bridge, the size of the pilot house was a big consideration. Walk around decks were not a firm requirement, but do add fishing space especially when fishing from the pilot house and needing to move to the cockpit to land a fish. The extension of the boat deck wasn't an issue, but can be solved with some canvas. For us it wasn't crucial and factored into the fishing equation.

Tom

dhays said:
My wife would like being able to sit out in the cockpit during a gentle mist and have a cover over her head.
There is an answer for everything.

Attachments

• Sabre-54-Flybridge-main.jpg
    Sabre-54-Flybridge-main.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 209
The question is, does your wife think the NP is "butt ugly" and if so, can she still stomach owning it??? If the answer is yes,no...then your dilemma is solved.

With that said, I had a 2006 Pontiac GTO. LS2 power at 400hp. The car was far from pretty...based on the Aussie Holden Monaro. But it was a great car and performed well and the interior was above most GM products of the day. Bottom line...I grew to love the car....(ear)regardless of its appearance.

As far as age of boat goes...just look for a well maintained updated boat. Obviously, you may pay more. Or look for a not so well maintained boat at a bargain price and do a little updating yourself. I bought my current boat at half market price because of neglect. After some due diligence, it just needed to be cleaned up a bit and a few things replaced. It will still never be cheap and no boat will be. But I should do well when I sell if I get anywhere close to market.

Thanks for the comments on the size of the PH of the NP43. We are planning on chartering one this spring if we can make the time work out. Chartering the type of boat we were interested in was one of the very first (and best) pieces of advice I received from the TF brain trust.

The idea of a canvas extension over a NT is something we have considered as well. Not all that expensive to have built I would imagine.

I don't fish, so many of the common considerations for those that fish and crab aren't ones that we have.

The idea of a canvas extension over a NT is something we have considered as well. Not all that expensive to have built I would imagine.

My full custom enclosure including stainless frame (sides not shown in avatar photo) was about $5k 12 years ago.

Keith

The Nordic Tug was the first boat I was attracted to.

I would decide on a few, but not more than a few, showstoppers.

What must you have? e.g. side decks; or not have, e.g. pullman berth??

I thought I would like the fly bridge, but actually don't, though I think it really is good to have when you sell.

Sidedecks, I thought were not so critical, but now, it would be hard to live without.

Pullman berth, never thought about, and it has not been an issue with all the couples we have had on board.

Good luck.

Richard

We are very happy with our NT42.

Having side decks or not really only affects our handling of the fenders. Pulling them up and redeploying them is dead simple when you can walk up and down the side decks. Plus for short term cruising between docks the sidedecks are a convenient place to leave the fenders. (We have baskets on the foredeck for longer term stowage.)

Another consideration is that the stanchions provide a place to tie the fenders to at a reasonable height; none sidedeck vessels can be a bit of a challenge there.

Boarding and unboarding is almost always at the stern platform or occasionally from beside the pilothouse door, so sidedecks are irrelevant in that regard; lines are grabbed from the dock so again sidedecks are sort of irrelevant although they do hold the lines in place ready for grabbing.

The pilothouse is very useable, although I think later models are even better. Our hull #1 is a bit tight when passing behind the helm chair. Actually impossible so the helmsperson moves out of the way when someone is moving athwartship. Newer models have the helm moved forward for more space.

Although I am not a fisherman we have some very avid fishermen in the family who really appreciate not having a full overhead deck covering the cockpit; it allows rod movement up and down and not having corner support posts is also a huge benefit.

Good luck with your quest.

Just my opinion, but you will be quite happy with either vessel!

Whichever boat you eventually choose, you will be the winner as they both will get you out on the water enjoying life.

As far as a flybridge and exterior aesthetics, I though the same things regarding our boat. I never thought she was beautiful, but have come to love her "handsome" lines. And the flybridge gets way more use than I ever expected...

Conrad, thanks for your input on the side decks. For a long time I would never even consider looking at a boat that didn't have decent side decks. As I have gone along in the process, I am slowly beginning to realize that I can't necessarily think of handling and working the decks of a trawler like I do my sailboat.

Darren, I think you are right. We would be happy with either of them (and a lot of others as well). BTW, I have enjoyed many of your videos. Keep it up.

The other boat that has made our short list is the NT37. That would probably be my first choice, but my wife likes the idea of a bit more room in the saloon to accommodate more family.

It likely will come down to finding the boat that is at the right price, right location, at the right time and call it good.

Dave,

I echo Conrad's comments on the pilot house spacing on the earlier NT42s. However, in our first and only long trip (La Conner to Wrangell), I eventually removed the folding helm chair and just sat back and worked with the autopilot remote. I have a remote monitor and wireless trackball that sits to the right of the bench in the pilot house for navigation purposes (Coastal Explorer is the primary tool). I can see the 12 inch Garmin display easily from there for sonar/radar. If I need to sit at the helm for long periods, I plan to use a bar stool since it takes up less space, you can face any direction and there are no arms to get in the way.

Tom

Great feedback from you and Conrad, Tom. Did your boat chase Tom's out of the factory? Is he hull #1 and you hull #2?

I'll probably get slammed for being predictable here, but I really like the PT 43, and one of the few things I think it needs is the windshield from the 45, which is grafted here.

Attachments

• PT 43 comparison.jpg
    PT 43 comparison.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 120
I'll probably get slammed for being predictable here, but I really like the PT 43, and one of the few things I think it needs is the windshield from the 45, which is grafted here.

I think North Pacific agrees with you. As do I.
maxresdefault.jpg

45-ext-2.jpg

45-pilothouse

Our boat has a very similar layout as the PT43. Our previous boats, GB42 and GB50, had side decks. We have not missed them. The extra room in the salon is worth the negligible hassle. On our boat and the PT43, we really like not having a PH that is open to the salon and/or galley.

Tator

Great feedback from you and Conrad, Tom. Did your boat chase Tom's out of the factory? Is he hull #1 and you hull #2?

Tom & I had the opportunity to meet last summer and compare our NTs. Quite different but very similar. Ours (#1) was a bit of a prototype whereas his (#2) has some improvements and differences. After all was said and done we determined that we each preferred our own! (Which was a very good thing...)

We too came from the sailing world and so sidedecks were important from the outset. I still would want to have them in general for other things like ease of rafting or dealing with dock or at sea oddities.

Feel free to ask more questions Dave.

Our boat has a very similar layout as the PT43. Our previous boats, GB42 and GB50, had side decks. We have not missed them. The extra room in the salon is worth the negligible hassle. On our boat and the PT43, we really like not having a PH that is open to the salon and/or galley.

Excellent feedback Tator, thank you. My wife and I have considered the pros and cons of having the PH more removed from the saloon as well. On the whole, we see it as a net positive.

The Nordic Tug was the first boat I was attracted to.

I would decide on a few, but not more than a few, showstoppers.

What must you have? e.g. side decks; or not have, e.g. pullman berth??

I thought I would like the fly bridge, but actually don't, though I think it really is good to have when you sell.

Sidedecks, I thought were not so critical, but now, it would be hard to live without.

Pullman berth, never thought about, and it has not been an issue with all the couples we have had on board.

Good luck.

Richard

My selection process was similar. Liked the Nordic Tugs but they were expensive and lacked easy-walk-around decks. Good side decks are critical as well as high/strong railings. Moving rapidly and burdening a boat with a flying bridge had no appeal. We've no need to accommodate more than two for sleeping, however.

Don't like the lack of a side deck around the NP salon. As a sailor it makes me a bit uncomfortable.
- Do like the interior space provided by the NP

There ya go....compromise.

I wanted a full walk-around for all the reasons....got the widebody instead.
Rationalizing.....I'll spend more time in the boat than I will docking or moving fenders. Wife liked the extra room inside.
I'm glad to hear that some people went from full walk around to wide body and didn't miss it.
I haven't had this boat long enough to provide a valid opinion.

One of my "really wants" was a fly bridge....I just like it up there...might change my mind later in the PNW but have always liked it up there.

I don't think I'm alone that during the shopping period I over-analyzed everything,. details & minutiae..trying to find the "perfect, exactly right boat.
Then I remembered a lesson I thought I had learned earlier in life (and was now given a chance to relearn)...get the damn boat and get up to the PNW and use it!! So, I did and so far I really like my boat and hope to come to love it as I use it more and "make it mine".

Dave,

We have an NP 39 not the 43. Have been very happy with the boat and found Trevor Brice, NP's owner, to be available and responsive to any questions we may have. The boat came very well equiped and is easy to service. Engine access is esp. good on this model.

No side decks on the 39 which was a concern but has been a non issue. View aft on this model is not bad from the pilothouse.

Our previous trawler we piloted from the flybridge over 90% of the time. Now we are in the pilothouse most of the time.

Feel free to ask any questions. We are fans!

Rob

Forgot to mention our favorite cruising friends have a wonderful NT 37!

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom