Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My Californian was probably similar to your sailboat when I purchased her. No genset, no inverter, small alternators, small house bank, propane stove, no need for air conditioning here in Northern California.

My small Keurig requires 1500W to heat the water, my highest draw item on the boat. Since my 1000W inverter can't handle this load, I need shore power or my Honda eu2000i generator to power the Keurig. I carry a spare Mr. Coffee style coffeemaker as a backup. When I replace this inverter, it'll be with a 1500-2000W unit.
Good to know. I am thinking that as I look at boats, I should be looking for about a 2000W or more inverter or be looking to upgrade it.

The Keurig is a huge "quality of life" issue for us and I would like to be able to run it with just an inverter on the house bank. I don't mind making drip coffee with a filter and hot water (do it all the time on our current boat) but my wife likes the Keurig and it really pays to be able to have the small things which make her happy.

Another AC draw for us will be a CPAP machine for my wife. She just started to use one a couple months ago and it makes a huge difference for her. Currently, we can't use it on our boat without shore power. We will need to be able to run it nightly while at anchor. It doesn't draw much, but is something that would take continual AC power throughout the night unless I can figure out a 12v solution.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote