Waxing your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Do any of you wax the exterior of your boats?* If so, what's the wax of choice?

Yes, we use Treewax Four Seasons Boat Wax. One of the nice things about painting a boat (as opposed to gelcoat) is you don't have to wax it if you (they) use the right paint.

Marin wrote:

Yes, we use Treewax Four Seasons Boat Wax. One of the nice things about painting a boat (as opposed to gelcoat) is you don't have to wax it if you (they) use the right paint.
I'm not so sure about that, Marin.* I have Awlgrip and they provide not a wax, but a sealer. I have no clue whether using it will actually extend the life of the paint, but I assume US Paint is ethical and I'm following their advice.* I think a 2 part paints with very long lives have similar products to maintain them.

There are treatments for paint like the one you describe. But from discussions on the GB forum if a boat is painted either with a one-part paint like Brightside or a two-part paint, there is no need to wax it. And in fact from the people on the GB forum who have painted boats, waxing the paint can actually be detrimental. A protective sealer may be something else entirely. But from the discussions on this subject on the GB site, it seems nobody with a painted boat waxes it and they cite this as a big advantage.

About four years ago we stripped and painted the main cabin door on our boat. It's a wood door and we primed it and then roller-tipped it with white Brightside, two coats. The boat sits in the weather and the starboard side where the door is faces the prevailing weather. On the advice of the shipwrights on the GB forum, we don't wax it or do anything to it other than wash it when we wash the rest of the boat. Today, four years later, the finish on the door looks just like it did when we finished painting it. Still shiny, no worn spots, etc. Now whether this will still be true in another four years remains to be seen
smile.gif

Now that you mention it Marin, I think I remember reading that waxing Awlgrip is also considered to be detrimental.* Perhaps the sealer is different, although the labor is the same.

Well here's my baby
Shall I use 1 part wax or what.

Attachments

• sth71069.jpg
    sth71069.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 80
nomadwilly wrote:

Well here's my baby
Shall I use 1 part wax or what.
Forget the wax, check out that Navy Babbit anchor!!!

Brazilian bikini wax.

I found that waxing my (unpainted)*fiberglass sailboat helped protect and brighten the finish, but I'm unsure whether waxing is good on/for a painted surface.* That's why I'm asking.

Delfin probably gave the best answer. Find out if you don't already know what Seahorse is using to paint your boat and, assuming it's a name-brand paint, contact the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend to protect surfaces painted with their product. It's in their interest that you get satisfaction from their product so they should be able to give you the best advice as to how to treat it after you take delivery of the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 10th of February 2011 11:35:55 PM

The Coot's exterior*paints are Awl Grip.

I do not wax the boat.* However I apply each year Turtle Wax 2100 protective which is an easy to apply spray on.* The 2100 is like Armeral but seems to last longer.* I been using the Turtle wax on the 1970 run about for about 20 years and on the Eagle for 15 years.* The dirt and stains wash of easier and the water beads.* Also when washing the boat I use a 50/50 mixture of Turtle Wax car wash that also puts a protect wax coating on the paint.* *

When the paint gets to dull/dirty, I repaint the area.*I use one part Brightside as its easy to match and apply.**I find repainting is almost as easy as waxing as its a light sanding and applying a new thin gloss coat.* Each year I paint an area of the boat.* Last years it was the starboard Salon sides, Portuguese bridge, and the pilot house and salon roof.*During the year*I also fix/repaint the scratchs and dings This spring plan on pulling the boat and will paint the hull below the rub rail, and later the port salon side and the port ½ of the Portuguese bridge.*

I would not use an expensive two part paint as they do not help up any linger better and they are*to hard to match.* If I bang/scratch the hull it not big deal as i cvan repair/repaint in one hour.* Now banging/scratchig the*bright side varnish that I do mind as it take a long time to strip and build back the coats.* If its the paint no big deal.**

I don't do it very often but when I do it is with 3m cleaner/wax. I'm looking for something easier to apply, but does a good job, but no luck so f.ar
Steve W.

jleonard wrote:

Turtle wax
(Yes I am a MTOA member)
biggrin.gif
What does MTOA mean?

The new name of the Turtle wax is F21 Super Protection in a green spray bottle.**Protects and shines.*

I've owned an seen many unwaxed vessels with Awl Grip that look better after 5 years than a new gel coat job. As previously stated, check with the paint *manufacturer though for their cleaning product recommendation - the can likely says mild soap and water.*Too many waxes use grit for cleaning up faded gel coat - a no no with Awl Grip. Some waxes discolor over time on a white finish wheras Awl Grip does not. And never wax or clean an Awl Grip boat with a buffer! Many high end FRP yachts forego gel coat finish*and apply*Awl Grip (or similar) from the start.

I had a bayliner once that the gell coat had oxidized.

Waxing did nothing. I had to wet sand it with 22 grit to bring the color back.
*then a good paste wax worked fairley well.

*I think I used something I picked up at west Marine.* Boat wax?

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 11th of February 2011 10:09:37 AM

Gonzo wrote:

"Brizilian bikini wax"

Could you describe in detail how to apply that?

Caret wrote:

"Forget the wax, check out that Navy Babbit anchor!!!"

that's not a navy anchor*** .. that's a Dreadnought anchor.
And it ain't babbit either.
But I agree**** ...forget the wax.

I use the 3M Marine Protective Wax. It's in a liquid form and goes on real easy. I try to do the hull yearly as it makes washing off the salt easier, and has elinimated the brown "mustache" on the bow. I plan on doing the cabin sides this spring. I do remember hearing about one fellow that go so gung-ho that he made the mistake of waxing the non skid deck, which then turned into a non-non skid deck.

Carl, I don't think it is muriatic acid you are looking for...but oxalic acid(Barkeeper's friend)?

markpierce wrote:

The Coot's exterior*paints are Awl Grip.

Never wax AwlGrip, it will cut the life of the paint to next to nothing. AwlGrip makes a sealer for the paint and you should not use anything else unless you are ready to re-paint soon. Chuck

Got it.* Won't wax the Coot.*

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 11th of February 2011 03:48:44 PM

I used Barkeeper Friend to get the brown off and coats of wax to keep it away during the season. I think that FF suggested that years ago. I also remember someone recommending some sort of toilet bowl cleaner as well.

MTOA = Marine Trader Owner's Association
(for the initializationly challenged)

I use toilet bowl cleaner on the mustache. easy to apply, instant results. It is hydrochloric acid in a gel, so close cousin to muriatic acid.

Can any of this stuff be used to clean fenders?
Hope this is related enough.

Acetone will leave the fenders sticky, then they really get dirty. One of the best things I've ever found for nasty fenders is Go-Jo hand cleaner. Ditto for power cords.

Yea... Sure it is. Continue to tell yourself that
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom