Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I'm looking at a 1990 46 nordhavn with 11,000 plus hours
Dave

A 26 year old diesel that has spent its entire life ingesting air from a salt water environment is exactly that, old. That does not mean it doesn't have some years left in it, it just means you are right to ask the question.

You know the history of Luggers, Alaska fishing fleets and marinizing John Deere as well as other engine brands yada yada. Lugger (owned by Northern Lights) has rebuild kits for their engines that for the 400 cid NA can be bought for probably 4 boat bucks.

With your skills and knowledge a rebuild when required would be straightforward. Me, I'd be more concerned about the other boat systems being reliable than fretting too much about the great NA engine. Expensive things like the dry stack exhaust, stern tube, fuel tanks, anchoring system, dinghy, updating the electronics or new appliances may well require some time and money.

If you've not done it, read the logs or book about the N46 Egret. Great writeup of worldwide travels on this seaworthy and iconic vessel. To me, most impressive was the Nordhavn support. No other boat builder can match it. Good luck on your pursuit.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote