New model 32' Grand Banks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456019089.929249.jpg

This took a lot of work to accomplish. We will build a new stubby mast and fiberglass the top next weekend. All the controls, wiring and electronics have been relocated, reconfigured or removed. Best part was removing that damn pipe at the helm.

Bob & Jill

That sweet Bob . Nice work . Good looking 32 . This is a woodie right?

Great sedan trawler!

We walk by a GB32 (wood) every time we go to the boat (on our float). Every time I see one I think of how perfect the boat is. But I'd like a bigger rudder and a dinette. Oh ... and a different engine. But I could easily do w/o those features.

But your boat is now blessed in the same way ours is ... no FB. A PO did the removal for us and it was a reason we didn't wait to find a Willard Voyager .. the most desirable Willard IMO. And I can relate to your joy at getting rid of the pipe at the helm. Visability is golden.

That's a good looking boat there - hope to have occasion to see it in-person this summer.

You will now need a new signature phrase...;)

Jeff

That's beautiful, Bob! Must be kinda like having a new boat! But you've gotta give us more photos.

If the fly bridge and pipe where not what you were looking for in a boat why did you start with a one of the nicest little fly bridge trawlers out there and then chop it?

To each his own of course. But I feel bad for that poor little GB 32.

There was another one on the east coast sans FB a number of years ago. It too looked like a larger better looking boat. The 32GB FB looks a lot better w the FB on than the 30Wllard FB. Top heavy and "what's that thing sticking up?" It looks almost comical.

A lot of people like Bill11 get used to the looks a FB over the years and find the looks of a boat w/o as strange. Bill, try and think of it as you see it .. not as a modified GB32. If you never saw a person w one arm before they'd look odd to you. If you never saw a car w/o a hood or trunk before they'd look odd or wierd without a hood or trunk. I'd look odd w/o my ears.

Flying bridges were not tacked on the roofs of boats to make them more attractive. They were put there for people to enjoy the open air and the view. They were also put on smaller boats as a big boat feature. They do this day call a boat a FB29 as if the FB was the very essence of the boat. Indeed it has little to do w what the boat is. A marketing thing ... like the new Ford "sports car" (Mustang 1954) that had almost no sports car features.

But the GB32 looks like a bigger, longer and sleeker boat w/o the FB. A camel probably would look better w/o the humps too.

Last edited:
Bill,

We have enjoyed Ebbtide for several years and during that time developed a list of likes and dislikes. The likes list far exceeds the dislikes so there was no reason to go buy different boat.

Since the things we desire are not available in a single, Ebbtide will be the boat that we want but cannot buy.

Most importantly Jill likes it and has been part of the transformation from the start. There are man folks who are married yet are single handing their boats. Fortunately I we are not in that group.

Thank you for your input. Fair winds and calm seas.

Bob & Jill

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456068431.874443.jpg

As I said, to each his own.

But sorry Eric, it's not a better looking boat without the flybridge IMO. Just different.

Plus you loose the seating, storage and raised view. As to the pipe blocking your view in any significant way, I guess it would if your head was in a halo frame. But other than that I'd say it's a nonissue for anybody who can turn their head a bit and/or lean slightly to the right and left. :D

But again, it's their boat and they can desecrate it any way they want.

Just kidding! :D

Someone around here is always telling people to get a new boat instead of changing theirs or running it differently. Wonder when he will be back.:D

I am used to lots of boats with or without flying bridges....lobster yachts are often either way...so no ....I haven't been bitten by that bug. Probably neither has Capt Bill as I am sure he has been around the block at least as much as the very experienced TFer.

I can see it's new virtues....but not my style either...I have to agree with Capt. Bill...but enjoy your new to you vessel!

Last edited:
psn,

Thanks for your input! To each his own for sure.

Hendo and AXE were an eye opening read that encouraged us to build what we want and need.

Now if I can figure out a way to squeeze in a separate shower!

Bob & Jill

Beautiful! Or should I say Yar! I love the appearance of trawlers without flying bridges.

psn,

Thanks for your input! To each his own for sure.

Hendo and AXE were an eye opening read that encouraged us to build what we want and need.

Now if I can figure out a way to squeeze in a separate shower!

Bob & Jill

The engineering challenge for me was the hot soak in a bathtub for some of the women I have had aboard my liveaboards.

I always thought of glassing one in under a vee berth and putting the cover, cushion on gas struts to make it easy for them.

I finally buy a boat with a mini bathtub in it...and can't wait to rip it out for a larger shower stall...:banghead:

Separate shower? where there is a will there is a way :thumb:(unfortunately also a tradeoff too...:D)

Last edited:
Most boats have a lip or roof extension that does something for cabin ends (and even sides) especially fwd. My Willard "bill" is a bit extreme. All Nordic Tugs have a tiny sort of a rain roof extension that if removed probably would look strange but I didn't even notice it untill I had a reason.

I liked the flying bridge on my GB32 and I didn't mind the pipe. My present boat only has a bridge. I can get on the roof but not drive from there. The older that I get, the less tolerant I am to sun.

Whether or not you like the look of a GB without the FB is completely irrelevant to the owner.

I saved this old photo from a few years ago. I think the boat is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456109276.579212.jpg

Ted:
Look closely and you can see the gurdies on what you thought were davits.

Ted,

I've been trying to jump-start my brain. I believe that GB is a 42 (or maybe a 36). GB offered a 42 "Sport Sedan" and that just might be one. The boat was like the 42 Classic without the aft cabin. May not have ever had a flying bridge.

Last edited:
I can appreciate the 32 without flying bridge, in part because the cabin-top becomes the perfect spot to stow the dinghy.

Keith

Koliver,

I see a 6 inch Kolstrand trolling block for the wire and the board
with a hole in it to hold the cannonball but not the gurdie.

Ted

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460262866.978267.jpg

Out for a solar curing cruise.

Back
Top Bottom