Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
An inverter/charger is one area where I think it's worth the larger up-front investment to get a quality unit with good capacity, that includes a charger. Once you start using it for one appliance, you will quickly succumb to the convenience and utility of having household-style power available. You will want to make coffee, and your wife will want to use a hair dryer. You will charge your phone and iPad and laptop, and you will be able to use power tools on board. It's all just a matter of time.

So I would follow the advise of others and get something in the 2500-3500W range, get a sine wave inverter/charger, install it correctly, and enjoy it for years to come. If you buy something small, it's only a matter of time before you will be wanting to upgrade it. And if you get a modified sine wave inverter, it will be harder on your appliances, consume more power due to inefficiencies, and possibly damage appliances.

My first and last modified sine wave inverter was almost 20 years ago, and I woke up one morning to a smoldering and spitting Dewalt battery charger that I had left on over night. It was smoking and oozing chemicals, all because of the square wave power. Needless to say, that was the last square wave inverter I bought.