In one word, what made you choose your boat.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think many of us on here have a wife quite like that...

Actually I've heard of many instances like that in boat buying where the man looks and looks and looks and looks and none of what he finds are 100% perfect and finally the wife loses patience as she wants to be back on the water.

An acquaintance who lives in Michigan, spends his vacation time in FL. Has a home he has available for rental and he and his wife then use it a week here and a week there although they sometimes find themselves in hotels because their home isn't available (it is in use about 48 weeks a year). He had a 62' boat and sold it. Was already looking for the next boat. Loves negotiating I think more than boating. Boat after boat. This has now gone on for nearly a year. She's coming down the first of May to spend two weeks in the house and the orders are she will have a 25-30' center console purchased for her use by the time she comes down. He can continue his search and negotiating on a 65-70' boat, but she is tired of not having a boat and being able to get on the water.

Manageable. She was the right size, right price, and looked pretty good.

Wifey B: Ok, admittedly my mind works in tune with another planet, but the last two posts....

WIFE

:rofl:

Wifey B: Ok, admittedly my mind works in tune with another planet, but the last two posts....

WIFE

:rofl:

'So how did you two meet?'
'Well,' he said as he hiked up his pants and transferred his cigar from one side of his mouth to the other. 'She was up on blocks, out in the yard. She looked purty easy to wipe down, and di'n't have no fluids leakin' from nowhere. Money warn't too bad. We been marry'd ever since.':smitten:

Along the theme earlier of the boat making you turn around.

If you don't know, the answer is "no".

If it's not right for you, it doesn't become more right the longer you wait. Even if you don't find something else that is right, it doesn't make the one you rejected suddenly right.

Looking for a loop boat was our longest boat search ever. We first made a list of possible ones in 2012 and didn't decide until late 2015. One of the first was a Hatteras 60 MY. It was always in our top two we were considering. Logically it should have been perfect. Yet we kept bringing other boats into the top of the list beside it. At one time or another, Grand Banks, Fleming, Beneteau, even a rebuild of the old Pacific Mariner 65, and Sea Ray came to the top of the list. The Hatteras never left the list. Even today, I couldn't tell you definitively what it was that kept us from choosing. We didn't like no lower helm, but they agreed to put one. Then my excuse was I didn't like the view from it and the windshield angle you looked through. I ended up with other things I didn't like but it's as if I was grasping at straws to dislike it. The point is that it never would have excited us and we would have felt like we settled for the least bad of the choices. It's an absolutely great boat. There is no reason to dislike it. It would make a great boat for the loop. I would bet that over 90% of those on this site would have chosen it over what we chose. It just wasn't for us.

Now, the boat we chose, a Sunseeker Manhattan, we dismissed very early because it was galley down. The moment they introduce a galley up we got excited about it. In some ways a poorer match to our stated requirements. But it makes us smile in ways the Hatteras just didn't.

It's a bit like someone setting you up with the girl who is perfect for you. You date her and agree that on paper she's perfect. You become friends but there is no chemistry. No one would have ever set my wife and me up. On paper, we'd have never matched, but if you ask either of us it turned out to be a perfect match.

Ergonomics (same answer I gave 5 years ago when this thread started)

Last edited:
Antidisestablishmentarianism

Comfort / Condition / Build / Speed / Twins / Flying Bridge / Wife, Wife, Wife!

IMHO - It is time to expand this thread to include groups of single word "reasons" for choosing a boat. Cause, one single word cannot and does not cover it all.

Setup.

The way ASD is setup, it allows us to be full time cruising and fishing. :thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom