Davit removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellico Bob

Vessel Name
Twilight Time
Vessel Make
1986 48' Californian MY
I have a 1986, Californian 48MY and I need to pull the Davit to replace the wood block that the flange sits on because it is rotted. Before I get started I would like to know how far down the tube does the davit extend? Can one or two guys pull it up and out? Any and all information would be helpful. Happy New Years everyone.

Sorry I am just finding this post. I pulled mine last September. The biggest issue you will have is how high you have to go. Mine mounts flush to the aft deck. Pulled the Marquip lift out, Unscrewed the deck flange lower and upper, removed the rotten core, filled will epoxy and put it back. If you need more info, respond and I can get you photos this weekend.

Pictures would be great. Does the pipe go all the way to the bottom of the tube and end at the aft deck surface? If that is the case we are looking at about 6.5 to 7 ft. What about weight? Can two guys manhandle it up and out? Two of the bolts are loose but I can not pull them down. What about water intrusion? Thanks for your reply.

I will be at the boat this afternoon and will get back with you. I did not pull it, a boat yard did. But if I remember correctly the pole sits inside a collar on the aft deck and is one piece with the deck flange on the dinghy deck. The arm lifts off of the pole. The arm does not have a pole inside the pole with you see. Pics to follow.

I was trying to figure out where Blue Turtle Bay was. Its the old Lakewood Marina. It looks like they really cleaned it up. We were at Anchor High from 2004 until 2010 when we moved to Mississippi.

The block under my davit on my O.A. was starting to rot when I got the boat. The tricky part of replacement is the big cables that run the electric winch pass through the center. I didn't care to disconnect the wire and attempt to pull it through so I made the new block ( teak) and cut a wedge out in the back. installed with polysulfide caulk and it has been great so far.

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood, that's not a problem on my boat. The electric for the winch is external. If I can get it apart I plan on making a new block out of teak and treat it with Smiths or Total Boat penetrating epoxy.

Biloxi Jim, Did you have a chance to get the pictures?

Hollywood, that's not a problem on my boat. The electric for the winch is external. If I can get it apart I plan on making a new block out of teak and treat it with Smiths or Total Boat penetrating epoxy.

perfect!
sounds like you have it figured out and are going in the right direction

HOLLYWOOD

Tellico Bob,
hope your weekend was better than mine. None the less here are some pics. Like yours, there are no power or hydraulics to worry with. The davit its self lifts straight up off the post. Very heavy. Remove the screws from the top and the pipe pulls out the top. The flange at the base has a pipe inside the big pole.

Attachments

• KIMG0331.jpg
    KIMG0331.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 90
  • KIMG0332.jpg
    KIMG0332.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 82
  • KIMG0333.jpg
    KIMG0333.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG0334.jpg
    KIMG0334.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 83
  • KIMG0335.jpg
    KIMG0335.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 86
  • KIMG0337.jpg
    KIMG0337.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 87
Davit removal

Wow, great pictures. My Davit is similar to but not quite the same as. I will take some pictures next week when I get back to the boat. The pipe and flange in your first photo is the same on my boat except I have four SS studs or bolts with acorn or crown nuts sticking down. On the topside is a beveled block of wood that is rotten and leaking. On top of the wood block is a heavy flange with a male collar that the davit pipe fits through and female collar fits over. There is also a stop to prevent the davit pipe from turning too far forward. If the davit doesn't extend to far down the tube it should not weigh to much. Thanks for helping out.

Thanks, glad it helped. The davit fits over the pipe. I do not recall how, but there is something that prevents it from being lifted off. There are two bearing surfaces, bushing like, that ride on the center pole. The heave upper flange is welded to the pole with a wood (teak) wedge between it and the upper surface. I used 5200 as a sealer above, below, and around the outside of the wedge.

Job is done and thanks for your help. Still dealing with Nautical Structures. There is a Delrin bearing inside the outer collar. It appears to have worn and is allowing two metal surfaces to come together. Too much friction and therefore very hard to pull the davit in when the dingy is brought up. Swinging out from the cradle is no problem just getting it back in. The big plus is no more leaks from the aft deck cabin top.

Back
Top Bottom