Why all the red lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
In addition to the reg. side sector lights this thing has 6 additional all-around red lights up the mast, port and starboard.

Attachments

• Invader.jpg
    Invader.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Red Cut.jpg
    Red Cut.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 134
Red over red

The captain is dead.
Vessel not under command.

That's the only one I could think of

Ya know Murray, when I posted that, the original title was "Is this a floating cat house?"

I changed it just to see who would come up with that first. Then I realized the rest of the country is in bed and since Xsbank has no sense of humour it would have to be you, Al or maybe the Spy Guy. All of you being such good clean livers and all.

Last edited:
The doubled ones are interesting. I'm thinking greater intensity though it could simply be backup.

Keith

Red over white over red: vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver, there's a whole bunch of 'em but I forgot them. My captains test was 4 years ago, haha

Vertical red lights used for signaling Vessel aground, restricted maneuvering, constrained by draft.

Friend of mine fitted up an old 80' fishboat as a recreational boat. He wanted CSI rating to do some chartering, and ended up with all those doubled up lights, higher railings, etc. You need to carry the code book to work out what it all means.

My interpretation of all those lights...Steer away if at all possible....

raymond.goff said:
As far as I can tell from here
http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php
It gets really complicated on bigger boats. Look toward bottom of section.
Gives me a headache. Like lookin' at a bowl of Smarties in the sky.
HiDHo said:
Vertical red lights used for signaling Vessel aground, restricted maneuvering, constrained by draft.
I thought the same as raymond.goff; anyone who advertises they may run over things needs a wide berth.:eek:
koliver said:
Friend of mine fitted up an old 80' fishboat as a recreational boat. He wanted CSI rating to do some chartering, and ended up with all those doubled up lights, higher railings, etc. You need to carry the code book to work out what it all means.
With so many variations it's easy to misread. By the time you done figgered out what's goin' on it's too late.

Attachments

• Multi Lights.gif
    Multi Lights.gif
    840 bytes · Views: 619
Funny thing too about this one; none of the lights were offset or yellow to make up the configurations illustrated in the bosunsmate link.:confused:

Trawler drag races anyone? :)

Those light g pictures are only from one angle...it's the lights and sequence that is important.

Take a US captains course and you will have them all memorized for at least a short amount of time.

Teach a course and most stay with you always.

psneeld said:
Those light g pictures are only from one angle...it's the lights and sequence that is important.
Ok, so here's another angle; I did do a walk around. Still no yellow and at least in daylight, I can't make a sequence fit any scenarios here Illustrated Navigation Lights

As K Oliver says, you need the book in hand or talk it through with the captain when actually lit.

As far as teaching = remembering; I can't count how many times I taught "correcting/uncorrecting the compass" and I'm still lost with TVMDC, east is least bla bla. But then the 60s and all that that entailed, is paying my brain cells back now.

Attachments

• Front Red.jpg
    Front Red.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There is so little vertical separation between the stacked lights it would appear from anly distance to be one light and not two therefore I vote on "back-up" or redundant lights.

There is so little vertical separation...therefore I vote on "back-up" or redundant lights.
The same was said by refugio but the argument to that is; none of them are sector (112.5*) lights. They are all-around.

Boat name is Invader so maybe that tells us something.

Some yachts need anti collision lights if the mast is tall enough and near a flight path of aircraft.

This one doest look like one but can't really say.

Some yachts need anti collision lights if the mast is tall enough and near a flight path of aircraft.
This one doest look like one but can't really say.
No I doubt that is the case as I'm guessing the highest point would be a red not clear light.??

Boat name is Invader so maybe that tells us something.

Ahh Invader. One of my least favourite visitors to the local waters. It came to the north end of Indian Arm last summer, I assume for the peace and quiet, and then opened the garage and winched out jet skis that spent the afternoon screaming around wave jumping. I had always thought the speed restrictions applied to all watercraft, but I guess if you are rich enough...

Now that is a 1st world problem right there folks.

Gives me a headache. Like lookin' at a bowl of Smarties in the sky.I thought the same as raymond.goff; anyone who advertises they may run over things needs a wide berth.:eek:With so many variations it's easy to misread. By the time you done figgered out what's goin' on it's too late.
attachment.php

That graphic is easy! Restricted in Ability to Maneuver (Red / White / Red). Two side lights (red and green) of course. Two forward masthead lights = Towing. Double red and green show which side the obstruction is on, and which side is safe to pass.

At night, with nothing visible but these lights, I'd know in an instant exactly what was dead ahead of me. Some sort of dredge or other RAM at work. I'd give way (unless I was NUC) and pass on the green side.

In real life, it can be a little more difficult, looking at a different angle, with shore lights and work lights in the picture, but you can still figure out what's going on if you know your lights:
4339-albums438-picture2746.jpg

Last edited:
No I doubt that is the case as I'm guessing the highest point would be a red not clear light.??
not necessarily as the anchor light is often thought to be the highest and the red lights don't have to be.

So far all reds don't make any sense anyhow.....with a clear pic with accurate color... I probably could offer a decent guess but for now...all those reds don't make a lick of sense other than anticollision.

That type of vessel would never be RAM unless landing a helo. So reds for NUC, and aground would be required....probably never CBD too.

Last edited:
The double lights are just built in redundancy, required for commercial (Charter) vessels. They also have a full alarm panel in the pilothouse to indicate when one of those lights goes out.

My guess is the mast is too thick to allow the 360 degree lights to show within the allowable obstruction limitations in the NavRules Annex I:

(b) (i) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts,
topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6°, except
anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an
impracticable height above the hull.
(ii) If it is impracticable to comply with paragraph (b)(i) of this section by
exhibiting only one all-round light, two all-round lights shall be used
suitably positioned or screened so that they appear, as far as practicable, as
one light at a distance of one mile.

Tad has it correct. The one thing not mentioned is the "Fueling" light. Bravo flag (red flag) during daylight hours and all around red after dark while taking or transferring bunkers(fueling)

I would assume the multiple lights are to make operation easier.

No needed to know what the legal light system requires if a switch is simply Anchor, or Underway , or Towing., and turns on the correct set of lights.

The switch wiring is easier , with multiple lamps.

KISS

Tad has it correct. The one thing not mentioned is the "Fueling" light. Bravo flag (red flag) during daylight hours and all around red after dark while taking or transferring bunkers(fueling)

Good point, the red flag and red flashing light are internationally recognized as meaning "transferring hazardous cargo". But I've never seen reference to them in the COLREGs or inland navigation rules. Unless someone can point me to what I'm missing, I suspect they must be in some other regulation, because tankers all use them when loading and unloading.

Back
Top Bottom