Attempt to define Rec. Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do call my boat a trawler yacht and a passagemaker. In the original 1987 brochure Kadey Krogen describes it as a "Passagemaking Trawler" and a "Trawler Yacht." I realize that this is marketing, but no one I've told this to thought I meant a fishing trawler.

On the radio I identify as "motor vessel Stillwater." I used to say "sailing vessel Champagne" when I had my sailboat. If I had a fishing trawler I would identify as "fishing vessel ..."

Richard

Ok, well all I could get from that link was "web page not available", but it wouldn't have mattered, as it says 'American English', and Americans did not invent English, (strangely enough, but true), so it doesn't count.

I think I better take RTF's advice... :)

Sorry the link didn't work, but oddly enough the Brits didn't invent English either...

Yacht

Large and luxurous personel power boat.

Not a trawler as it has little/no living accommodations as well as being designed for speed:

That's because 'sail boat', is American slang, for 'yacht', but yacht is harder to spell I guess... :D
What`s hard about spelling yatch?:)
Peter is right, a yacht is a sailing boat here, except when referring to the big motor boats, eg. those owned by James Packer, or Frank Lowy(of Westfield) and their ilk, then they are termed motor yachts( or gin palaces). Actually I think James inherited his fathers converted icebreaker called ArcticP, but I`m sure that`s one of several vessels.

So... just to stir the pot, what about the old Hatteras LRCs? Not a trawler... just a slow heavy yacht? The bottoms are somewhere between semi displacement and planing.

The Hatteras LRCs were full displacement hulls.

My Mainship(which had the "Trawler" plastered on the side) as well as my current boat both have the same "Yacht Certification" Placard on them....so they must be yachts!!!....;) Personally, a yacht to me, is anything you can fly a helicopter onto. If I hear the "Y" word out of anyone's mouth while describing a boat, I am immediately suspicious of their pretentiousness. But if you can fly a helicopter onto it, it deserves the name.

If you are in a heavily traveled channel and you are describing your boat to a tow captain or tanker captain, what do you call yourself??? That is what kind of boat you have.

Builder describes it as a "coastal cruiser" and "trawler yacht":

If you are in a heavily traveled channel and you are describing your boat to a tow captain or tanker captain, what do you call yourself??? That is what kind of boat you have.

"Thirty-five foot, six-knot motor vessel with a yellow pilothouse roof."

Hello!

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum but i'll go there...

Motor yacht, trawler, motor yacht, trawler...

I'm going with motor yacht.

Attachments

• 2016-02-05 14.50.02.jpg
    2016-02-05 14.50.02.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 47
Seldom do I show pictures of our Tollycraft. When I do show a picture of our boat to those who know not... the word yacht can come to their lips. I then take the time to explain this is not a yacht, but rather it is a pleasure cruiser. I can usually see by the person's glazed look that they still feel it is a yacht.

To me it's simply a boat. However, when speaking with persons who may have less than a day or two on any floating craft - I can see why they want to call our size boat - A Yacht; cause to them it simply is! :D

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum but i'll go there...

Motor yacht, trawler, motor yacht, trawler...

I'm going with motor yacht.

Done..! :thumb:
Shorter to say than... 'trawler style coastal cruiser'...so yes, that I accept. But if it hasn't got the motor bit in front, it better have mast and sails... :mad:

Now, where's that glass of port..?

No need to talk about sails. Nix on sails.

This is a trawler boat forum.
I saw one sailboat that I could call a yacht. All the rest are just sailboats.

Done..! :thumb:
Shorter to say than... 'trawler style coastal cruiser'...so yes, that I accept. But if it hasn't got the motor bit in front, it better have mast and sails... :mad:

Now, where's that glass of port..?

No problem... since Jim sold me the boat in basically cruise-away condition, my first accessory will be...

Attachments

• tmp_23367-51vme-3PsHL-614128297.jpg
    tmp_23367-51vme-3PsHL-614128297.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39
To me it's simply a boat. However, when speaking with persons who may have less than a day or two on any floating craft - I can see why they want to call our size boat - A Yacht; cause to them it simply is! :D

That is true....

No problem... since Jim sold me the boat in basically cruise-away condition, my first accessory will be...
Older wooden Halvorsens came with a mirrored drop front cocktail cabinet, perfect for your cut glass decanter and glasses.

I'm not sure what I should call my boat it was originally built as a power troller for salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I have modified it for personal use so is my boat a troller trawler or a trawler troller. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455691948.550418.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455691973.533975.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455691992.635894.jpg

I'm not sure what I should call my boat it was originally built as a power troller for salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I have modified it for personal use so is my boat a troller trawler or a trawler troller. View attachment 48926View attachment 48927View attachment 48928
Skipper, you can call it whatever you want and I doubt neither Art not Marin would object.

Do you know who designed the hull? Looks a lot like a Barry Farrell but then so many west coast boats of that vintage did.

SD - Great to see you again! I make a motion that your boat is the only one on TF that should be called "Trawler Emeritus"... wadda ya think??!! :thumb: :D
Well, I think that's a grand idea and would cast multiple votes if given the chance.

I'm not sure what I should call my boat it was originally built as a power troller for salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I have modified it for personal use so is my boat a troller trawler or a trawler troller.

I'd just call it badass!!!!

Sounds fine by me as long as she floats gets me out on the crab. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455742370.624172.jpg

Ba Ba Ba.... Baaadd!!

Last edited:
From the Boat Guys detective work at the Trawler fest we get a Recreational Trawler is not a boat it is a state of mind??? Well that must be a foggy mind maybe in need of therapy?? We are therefor referring to boats by someone's state of mind? Wonderful explanation, a non explanation for a meaningless description throw smoke at smoke.

Back
Top Bottom