Attempt to define Rec. Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The KK 42 is a trawler. Nobody EVER mistakes it for anything else. They NEVER call it anything else. Even non boaty people call it a trawler. That is your bar, and its pretty high.

LOL! Except for professional Mariners. If I were on the bridge of a ship and needed to hail you for any reason, after noting the lack of fishing gear and displaying no fishing day shape (or lights at night) I would hail you as "motor yacht _________(name from AIS)" The pros are only interested in the category of vessel you are within the scope of the International Rules for Prevention of Collision at Sea and not what an ad man claims your vessel to be in a marketing brochure. A fishing vessel tending its nets generally has some privileges over power vessels under way and therefore must be specifically identified prior to making decisions on who has right of way.

And also to clear up some confusion I see on this site, properly, "Trollers" are fishing vessels that are trailing lines astern. Trawlers are fishing vessels trailing nets astern or tending drift nets.

Gilli,
Good about the nets and troll gear.

Been think'in ...
Since this trawler or not thing is an extremely wide grey zone .. Not at all black and white. So why try to make it black and white?

The answer to this question is a list of boats aranged from the most trawler-like to the least. Assuming there is one not a trawler. The most and the least w all the grey in-between. It would be so difficult I wouldn't attempt it. What I listed today I'd be rearranging tomorrow. But that would do it if it could be done.

And eyeschulman since you started this perhaps you could make a new list of trawler-like features and their relative importance. Like a full keel and a number 1-5 to weigh it's importance. Already I think you will see the futility of it. A list of those that aren't is fairly easy till ya get to those fringies.

I did'nt get any angry PM's over the post w the list. I rather enjoyed the PM's I did get actually. And I have noticed those that ask almost always don't have a trawler.

I still say the early name of Heavy Cruiser gets the big essence out of the bag ... weight. If it's too heavy to be anything else and it's not a fish boat, harbor tug ect that already has a name it's probably a trawler.

eyeschulman?

Gilli,
Good about the nets and troll gear.

Been think'in ...
Since this trawler or not thing is an extremely wide grey zone .. Not at all black and white. So why try to make it black and white?

The answer to this question is a list of boats aranged from the most trawler-like to the least. Assuming there is one not a trawler. The most and the least w all the grey in-between. It would be so difficult I wouldn't attempt it. What I listed today I'd be rearranging tomorrow. But that would do it if it could be done.

And eyeschulman since you started this perhaps you could make a new list of trawler-like features and their relative importance. Like a full keel and a number 1-5 to weigh it's importance. Already I think you will see the futility of it. A list of those that aren't is fairly easy till ya get to those fringies.

I did'nt get any angry PM's over the post w the list. I rather enjoyed the PM's I did get actually. And I have noticed those that ask almost always don't have a trawler.

I still say the early name of Heavy Cruiser gets the big essence out of the bag ... weight. If it's too heavy to be anything else and it's not a fish boat, harbor tug ect that already has a name it's probably a trawler.

eyeschulman?

Eric I like the heavy cruiser since most light and ultra light boats seem well off the scale. Also like The deep keel enough to protect the running gear and that would exclude IPS powered boats. I also agree that if somebody put a set of trawl nets on a KK 42 or your boat I would have no trouble thinking of it as a trawler therefore remove the nets and I am still ok with it. Put a set of trawl nets on my boat and its a trawler remove the nets and no way could I think of it as a trawler.

eyschulman said:
...put a set of trawl nets on a KK 42 or your boat I would have no trouble thinking of it as a trawler...Put a set of trawl nets on my boat and its a trawler
And just how would you and a KK42 hoist a couple tons of fish and where would you put them?

Stick a ball cap on a blind man, he ain't no catcher.

All the 'professional' vessels have always hailed or referred to me as 'pleasure vessel". Maybe it's a down South thing. Interestingly, they don't include sail boats as pleasure vessels but say 'sail boat'.

Interestingly, they don't include sail boats as pleasure vessels but say 'sail boat'.

Have you ever had a sailboat float slowly by and catch yourself saying, "That's a good looking boat!"

Me neither. :D

I think once this gets buttoned up, we should define what Fine Art is :D (and no Art, I'm not taking about you, although you are most definately a very fine fella)

I'll stick my neck out on this one.

Californian, OA, Rangers, and many Mainships are at least slightly questionable. They all have a planing hull and are light enough to plane. Many will disagree w me and I usually think of the Californian and Manships as trawlers but the case for them is weak.

Carver, Sea Ray,Tollycraft, and Owens are not.

The following are.
NT, GB, AT, DeFever, Cherubini, Selene, Marine Trader, Most KK, Sundowner, North Pacific, CHB, Maple Bay, Willard, Monk, Pilgrim, Senator, Coot Fu Hwa, Island Gypsy, Marben and the Chantyman.

Some of these brands are not all trawlers. I speak of the ones we see here.

"Carver, Sea Ray, Tollycraft, and Owens are not". - Thank God!!

BTW: Ed Monk Sr. and then Ed Monk Jr. were the primary Marine Architects for Tollycraft "Pleasure Cruisers"!

"Carver, Sea Ray, Tollycraft, and Owens are not". - Thank God!!

BTW: Ed Monk Sr. and then Ed Monk Jr. were the primary Marine Architects for Tollycraft "Pleasure Cruisers"!

Indeed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 45
Maybe a forum name change would put this topic to sleep :)

Doubtful this "Trawler" name-topic will be put to bed in foreseeable future. Too entrenched throughout the "Pleasure Cruiser" market. Promotion experts love it. Makes pleasure boats seem big and bad while simultaneously carrying a romantic fishing-world overtone!

Also: If not Trawler Forum as the name of this invigorating marine gathering place - then, please, pick the correct replacement nomenclature.

Thanks! :D

Like any of us have a the power and authority to change either one! :banghead:

I'd have a better chance renaming your boat, Art. :socool::confused::angel::D

Like any of us have a the power and authority to change either one! :banghead:

I'd have a better chance renaming your boat, Art. :socool::confused::angel::D

OMG Al! Now that you ask... :ermm:

For just $2.9K down and $299 per month consumers (you of course included as a preferred customer) can get a three year rent-lease agreement signed for advertising on the transom on my boat... with name, slogan, or logo of their/your choice! :dance: :socool: :rofl: :speed boat:

At end of three years you must sign a new lease agreement, turn in your old leased nomenclature on transom and renew if you desire.

Don't miss this 2016 1st quarter sales-promotion opportunity where we are giving 10% off the rent-lease down payment and we will pay your first month transom rent! Additionally, we will include a great discount on the cost of transom printing. What more could you ask for!?!!?? Of course this offer supersedes and does not include any other discount programs we may have available at the same time.

In other words: To all the people who feel that Trawler Forum needs to have a new name - I bet if you can cough-up enough cash... you can get it renamed to your choice! I figure couple Mill$$$ would do the trick! :eek: :D :thumb: :dance: :lol:

Last edited:
After all this time Art and you still feel somewhat like an outsider????
Say it isn't so!

You were very keen on TF to get your Tolly blessed as a trawler but I thought we worked that out years ago. You're one of the best and treasured members .. no doubt. Do I need to get a non-trawler to understand? How I'm regarded here on TF has nothing to do w my very trawler-like boat. It's what I say and post. Both neg and pos. Same w you.

If this thread and what I posted about what boats are and are not trawlers is causing bad feelings I'm out. For the record many other TF members have non-trawlers and quite a few of them are also treasured members.

Actually I'm confused amout it now. The question of whether we should talk about it ....... or drop it so as to sorta keep the pease. As an affected member what do you really think Art?

After all this time Art and you still feel somewhat like an outsider????
Say it isn't so!

You were very keen on TF to get your Tolly blessed as a trawler but I thought we worked that out years ago. You're one of the best and treasured members .. no doubt. Do I need to get a non-trawler to understand? How I'm regarded here on TF has nothing to do w my very trawler-like boat. It's what I say and post. Both neg and pos. Same w you.

If this thread and what I posted about what boats are and are not trawlers is causing bad feelings I'm out. For the record many other TF members have non-trawlers and quite a few of them are also treasured members.

Actually I'm confused amout it now. The question of whether we should talk about it ....... or drop it so as to sorta keep the pease. As an affected member what do you really think Art?

Eric - I cherish your inputs/insights posted to TF... You are a leader to be sure regarding much of the discussions herein bandied about. Please stay - see bold words in your second to last paragraph above.

In answer to your question: "... what do you really think Art"

1. I really think ... calling a "Pleasure Boat" (which is actually what just about every TF member owns) that has zero-to-zip to do with commercial trawling/trolling/netting/fishing/pot hauling the name of "Trawler" is just so very cute!

2. In Essence: Regarding the way I perceive things; calling a pleasure boat a trawler makes me think of a couple young children in a tub or tiny pool playing with miniature plastic tug-boats and exclaiming Toot Toooot as their play toy-boats pass one another in the rough (sometimes turbid) seas created by quick child movements and doings.

Those two paragraphs are why I can not use the word "Trawler" to describe my Pleasure-Cruiser-Boat-Toy! I know of no boat on TF that actually is a truly definable "Trawler". Real Trawler owners are way too busy at sea earning a living to be bothered with TF... unless they own a Pleasure Cruiser Toy toooo... then they might join into TF threads.

That said - I've no problem with others calling their toy-boats Trawlers. I'm quite comfortable with Trawler being primary name for this forum. And, it is fine that marketing/promotion gurus have coined the word Trawler for advertising purposes to help romanticize boat owning so the public buys in. Heck; car industry coined the name SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) to help sell over blown station wagons... which is what SUV's really are. However, I just do not think of any boat I ever owned (our Tolly included) being a Trawler - cause they simply ain't! :thumb:

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above.
I dont call my boat a 'trawler' and never will. However of all the forums out there, this one appeals to the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed. There is no need for a name change, it asserts a lifestyle, not a boat style.

I agree with all of the above.
I dont call my boat a 'trawler' and never will. However of all the forums out there, this one appeals to the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed. There is no need for a name change, it asserts a lifestyle, not a boat style.

Well put! While I sometimes describe to my boat to the inquisitive person as a recreational trawler or a floating RV, I usually just call it a slow boat. Some folks understand the trawler moniker but, no doubt, those in the know in parts of the country where fishing trawlers are common are confused by the double meaning of the word.

I think McGillicuddy's got it right....it's more of a lifestyle and style of boating than it is a style of boat. And in that vein, we all own trawlers...even the 'go fast' guys like Moonstruck, Tom B and Codger2.

Art thanks and I see (read) you're fine. Good good.

I don't buy into the MF "toy boat " crap. Well before I cut loose w more nasty words I better say in Marin's defense that we do indeed have toy boats if a philosophical discussion is in order but seldom is it so. And commercial trawlers don't enter my mind or conversation unless drug in like here.

Art the "I'm out" applied to the thread only and now I'm fine w it.
Thank you so much though for asking me to stay!

As to the word lifestyle re trawlering I'm not sure it fits. My lifestyle "involves" trawlering but it's just a part of it. So I refuse to call my boating a "lifestyle". That's OK as many use the expression or word lifestyle so it ain't go'in away. I suspect it's maybe getting too far into it. Boating style is all it is.

If it were not for the boat builders and sales pitch people perhaps the best solution to the term recreational trawler is to burn the words and bury the ashes deep. There are things in the universe we don't understand and therefor can not adequately define and maybe RECREATIONAL TRAWLER is one of those foggy things. It appears to be a term where the meaning depends on who is using it and therefor impossible to get a handle on. My perspective re; the term is that any boat so designated is much better described by other terms.

The question "What is a trawler?" is almost identical to "What is a yacht?"

In the UK, the word "yacht" only applies to sail boats.

In the Lake of the Ozarks a "yacht" is a 26 foot Sea Ray.

When I have repairs to make, suddenly the mechanic says my "boat" is a "yacht" and invoices me accordingly.

The word "yacht" is originally from a Dutch word that means "hunting boat". So, any fishing boat is a yacht?

Personally, I define a "yacht" as any pleasure boat with a paid full time crew. If you have a full time captain, you have a "yacht". Without the crew, you have a "boat". But that's just me.

Words are funny like that. What is even funnier is how people get emotional about other peoples perspective on the meaning of a word.

The question is asked @2:38

I like this post. And I get it. But its funny that immediately after saying "A trawler isn't a boat... its a state of mind." the guy starts pointing at boats and calling them trawlers. "See that boat... that is a trawler. See this boat... its a trawler." LOL

The question is asked @2:38

Sam (From the video I guessed that's his name - I just learned it's Chip) may have been well drunk by end of that video... maybe even by mid way?? I don't know for sure. I'm basing these comments simply by what is mentioned in next paragraph.

So "Sam" err Chip, anyway: 3 min 44 seconds into the video... I recommend you do not call people idiots for not coming to Trawler Fest; i.e., your play ground. And, at video 4 min 10 seconds to be talking of wanting to "...get sick to my stomach", evidently due to people's (customers) interest... well, simply is not a good way to attract more customers for increased sales.

I ask you to rest and feel better. There's always tomorrow - luckily for most of us.

Last edited:
I call my boat a yacht. If it's less than 39' it's a cabin cruiser. ??

Nope - a yacht has sails, unless you specifically call it a motor yacht, sorry...

I swore I would not get involved in one of these 'what's a trawler?' threads ever again...grrrrgh.... :banghead:

Have you ever had a sailboat float slowly by and catch yourself saying, "That's a good looking boat!"

Me neither. :D

That's because 'sail boat', is American slang, for 'yacht', but yacht is harder to spell I guess... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom