Top Five Needed Boat Features

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you need to ask....you really haven't spent much time with teak.

Wifey B: I've spent almost 14 years with it. I love it. I think it's worth the extra work. I've also been on several boats in the 10-15 year old range with teak that was in excellent condition. I'll take the teak you don't want. There's a shortage anyway. :)

Wifey B said:
I've washed the teak...not most of the time, but I have.
:lol:If that was in response to my comment about "care" of teak, I hope you don't figure a wash once in a while is taking "care" of your hair.:nonono:

:lol:If that was in response to my comment about "care" of teak, I hope you don't figure a wash once in a while is taking "care" of your hair.:nonono:

Wifey B: Well, I don't know what you guys are getting all over your teak to make it so dirty all the time.

And I do wash all of me including my hair daily. Which that would make an entirely new and debatable topic in how frequently showering and changing clothes when cruising.

No, I was just responding to the implications that I've never cleaned teak. I'm not pretending I do it all the time. However, I do understand the effort the task requires at least on our boat. It seems it requires much more effort on some. Makes me wonder how others clean and care for theirs. Also, if once it has been mistreated, I suspect then it is very difficult from that point forward.

Pilothouse with 360-degree view overlooking all other superstructure.

Flat, 360-degree deck with high and strong (won't wiggle) railings.

Efficient, single diesel engine with propeller and rudder protected by keel and a bow thruster.

Sleeps two easily, feeds six, and entertains 10.

Good quantity of fuel and water tankage.

Definitely not needed: (1) flying bridge resulting in unneeded environmental exposure, extra cost, maintenance expense, and windage, and (2) high speed (the purpose is usually the voyage and not the destination).

Last edited:
Flying bridge
walk around decks
single engine
stall shower
minimal wood outside.

So much of boating is getting and keeping control of maintenance.

My prime request for a PNW boat would be a boathouse, or at least covered moorage - that enables you to own older boats with significant exposed wood, teak decks, even woodies themselves, with all the aesthetic opportunities that presents.

Otherwise it's diesel heat with twins, a flybridge, and I'll take it from there.

What I don't need: thruster(s) when I have twins, A/C in the PNW, washer/dryer, inflatables that argue with barnacles.

1) A pilot house with door(s) to side deck(s).
2) Diesel propulsion with a range of over 2000 nm.
3) Draugt under 5 feet.
4) Self sufficient for at least 6 month (water, refrigeration, washer/dryer, power generation).
5) Tender storage with a powered lift.
6) Large, comfortable cabin with a good view outside and a walk-in closet.
7) Low windage (no flying bridge).

My overall priorities

1. Seaworthiness
2. Affordable
3. Protected prop/rudder
4. Back up propulsion
5. Simplicity & Dependability (that's two, but very much related)

Accessories that I like:

1. Autopilot
2. Remote windlass control
3. Good refrigeration
4. Solar power
5. Dinghy storage

Numbers 4 & 5 are next years projects.

1 Raised pilot house
2 full walk around master bed
3 Single slower speed main engine
4 Bow thruster
5 large fuel capacity

Plus
water maker
well sized generator
active stabilisers

1) Good fuel economy
2) Easy dinghy launch/storage
3) Wide walkaround decks
4) Good engine/systems access
5) At least Full size bed with access from both sides.

1st Runner-up
6) At least apartment size refrigerator/freezer

Reliable engine and drive system.

EZ to maintain fuel system ,Genuine fuel tanks , filters out of engine room.

Enough room for a couple, for weeks or a few months.

Superb ventilation , rain or shine. No leaks.

Excellent 360 Visibility underway

A useful cockpit to eat or sling hammocks.

Reliable auto pilot , reliable windlass (hyd).

No damage when taking the ground .

More than 5 but it works for me,

OH yes ,we do have a Teak trivet for under the tea pot.

Not in order:

- No exterior wood
- Good head
- Good, separate, shower
- Good, island master berth
- Good sidedecks
- Flying bridge
- Stairs to the flying bridge (no ladders)
- Swim platform
- Transom door- some way to carry a decent dinghy

All that, with a decent boat attached. (The latter two are partly for the big dogs, too.)

Forgot one:

- Good access to systems (incl. engines) for maintenance and repair

-Chris

1. Pilothouse
2. Single engine
3. 2 staterooms & 2 heads
4. Robust ground tackle
5. Covered back deck for socializing.

Ted

Not in order:

- No exterior wood
- Good head
- Good, separate, shower
- Good, island master berth
- Good sidedecks
- Flying bridge
- Stairs to the flying bridge (no ladders)
- Swim platform
- Transom door- some way to carry a decent dinghy

All that, with a decent boat attached. (The latter two are partly for the big dogs, too.)

Forgot one:

- Good access to systems (incl. engines) for maintenance and repair

Oooh! Forgot another one:

- Hardtop over the flying bridge

Nice that I can use input from other folks to remind myself what we were thinking at the time. :)

Most of what I've listed are, to me, features that must usually be "built in" during the design phase (although a hardtop and a swim platform, for instance could sometimes be added later).

The most difficult -- and all-encompassing -- requirement is about "decent boat attached." All the efficacy, comfort stuff. We had to add stuff to get here from there -- swim platform, dinghy davit, electric windlass, etc. -- and likely we're still adding as my wallet permits.

Chris

What are your Top Five Needed Boat Features?

OK to list more or less long as they are really Needed.

"Sub Category" perfectly OK too!

Top 5 Needs.
1. Raised Pilothouse with side doors to deck.
2. Diesel Heat
3. 2 staterooms with large walk around queen in master
4. Fuel efficient at slow cruise.
5. Separate shower stall in head

Top 5 desires
1. Bow Thruster
2. Low maintenance (ie no outside teak)
3. Accessible Engine Room
4. No, or very minimal, Flybridge
5. Single Diesel

Consider the above lists an exercise in ignorance since I have never owned a trawler but only sailboats.

Range: I maxed out in this category, as we carry 2,300 gallons and at 8.5 knots typically get better than 1 to 1.

Pilothouse: For comfort and convenience.

Fishable: Flybridge, tower, big cockpit, unobstructed walk arounds, electronics, etc.

Redundancy: All major systems, redundant and 100% independent, everything from electronics to propulsion to heads (and their holding tanks / pumps).

Home comforts: To keep my family happy -- large beds, 4 heads, separate crew quarters (for the occasions that we hire crew), sat tv, nice galley, stabilized, toys, nice sound system, 80,000 btu a/c.

By the way, stand-up engine room was not on my list, but now that I have one I do really appreciate it. In my case, I didn't know what I was missing.

Last edited:
One more essential

"Sub Category" perfectly OK too!

Our Top Five:

1. Flying Bridge - Me
2. Up Galley with Full Accommodations and Large Windows - Linda
3. Accessible, Room-To-Work-Inside, Stand-Up Engine Compartment - Me
4. Master Stateroom with Head/Shower, Closet, Queen Size Bed, Storage - Us
5. Roomy Comfortable Locations to Relax - Both Inside and Outside - Us

Sub Category [not 100% needed/necessary]:

A. Twin engines - Me
B. Easy To Keep Exterior and Interior Clean - Us
C. No Outside Bright Work; Varnished or Otherwise - Us
D. Upper and Lower Helm Station with Full Controls - Me
E. Gen Set - Us
F. Planing Hull - Us
G. Full Safety Railing All Around All Exterior Areas - Us

:speed boat: :speed boat: :speed boat: :thumb::thumb: :D:D

I agree you have listed most. One item that I highly recommend for boats with a large enough swim step is "staples" These make docking and boarding a dinghy 1000% safer. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150803_141730544_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150803_141730544_HDR.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 74
I agree you have listed most. One item that I highly recommend for boats with a large enough swim step is "staples" These make docking and boarding a dinghy 1000% safer. :)

Hey Sharp

You got me to thinking... those safety rails (I believe that is what you call staples) are quite intriguing. I've noted them before in your posts. We have a full-on tow behind runabout that 14'8" with 50 hp Johnson o/b. It's mono hull and can get quite tippy if not careful. Those extra swim step rails could become a bonus for not only stepping onto runabout but for other reasons too. Now that you have my mind focused on these "staples" I'm in process of mental designing. One item that quickly comes to mind is being able to insert them into "keepers" bolted firmly to swim step. That way I could set up a "staple" hanging-arrangement on transom so while towing the runabout the centered tow line has full swing room over swim step at all times.

I'm going back to your picture for closer scrutiny. This kind o' neat marine-design stuff is what TF is all about! :thumb:

Thanks!! - Art :speed boat:

As someone who is trying to decide which make of money pit to buy this is a great insight into what is and isn't important.... The thing that does surprise me is that I've not thought "oh, really" to any of them, yes there are a few contradictions but it seems to depend on how you use the boat or where you are...

Some top advice there....

Along with the threads

In one sentence, what made you change boats (or buy another)..... and
In one word, what made you choose your boat.......

Learnt a lot from you all.... Thanks :thumb::thumb:

Hey Sharp

You got me to thinking... those safety rails (I believe that is what you call staples) are quite intriguing. I've noted them before in your posts. We have a full-on tow behind runabout that 14'8" with 50 hp Johnson o/b. It's mono hull and can get quite tippy if not careful. Those extra swim step rails could become a bonus for not only stepping onto runabout but for other reasons too. Now that you have my mind focused on these "staples" I'm in process of mental designing. One item that quickly comes to mind is being able to insert them into "keepers" bolted firmly to swim step. That way I could set up a "staple" hanging-arrangement on transom so while towing the runabout the centered tow line has full swing room over swim step at all times.

I'm going back to your picture for closer scrutiny. This kind o' neat marine-design stuff is what TF is all about! :thumb:

Thanks!! - Art :speed boat:

Two things to think about for staples.

1: make sure to fill with foam, and preferably seal them so they float for obvious reasons.

2: add a section of tubing to the legs of each staple so you can piggyback them, when you want them out of the way.

Not planning a secure place to put them when not deployed is a great way to lose them underway.

Attachments

• piggyback staples.jpg
    piggyback staples.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 71
I thought the stainless rails on swim platforms were permanently mounted? No?

I thought the stainless rails on swim platforms were permanently mounted? No?

No....now some are rarely removed. And some few are permanently installed. But most are removable. On the other hand designed to stay in place unless one wants to remove them.

Many are simply placed in pockets in the swim platform.

Notice how the staples would have to be removed to deploy the swim platform.

If the staples have a piggy back pocket, you can store them out of the way.

Just came to this thread and read it through. Seems most of you are simply listing the top things that you have on your own boat.
Renews many of the old debates, galley up/down, singles/twins, exterior teak/none, wide/skinny side decks, flybridge/none, etc.
Well, here are 5: a galley, propulsion, exterior rails, side decks, steering stations.

Seriously, so long as a boat has well designed systems, you can get by with any of the debated choices.

Just came to this thread and read it through. Seems most of you are simply listing the top things that you have on your own boat.
Renews many of the old debates, galley up/down, singles/twins, exterior teak/none, wide/skinny side decks, flybridge/none, etc.
Well, here are 5: a galley, propulsion, exterior rails, side decks, steering stations.

Seriously, so long as a boat has well designed systems, you can get by with any of the debated choices.

I beg to differ... wanna talk to my wife! - LOL :dance: :lol:

Needed eh?

Minimal risk of sinking in the slip...

Reliable

Fuel efficient

Good condition

Salty... oh yeah, got that covered.

:speed boat: :speed boat: :speed boat: :thumb::thumb: :D:D

Attachments

• 2016-02-04 20.59.50.jpg
    2016-02-04 20.59.50.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 54
I can't believe no one (that I noticed) listed anchor. Could be top 5 right there: my Sarca Excel, my spare anchor, the anchor everyone says you should have, the anchor everyone says you should not have, stern anchor. I don't have all 5, so I'll start again....

Basically these items 'sold' the boat to me:

1. Raised pilothouse with side doors and stairs to FB

2. Full walkaround decks including Portuguese Bridge, safe foredeck access

3. Twin diesels and 10 kn cruise. Ok, I now generally cruise 8.5-9.5 so I missed that one a bit. I need more waterline length.

4. Walkaround Queen berth, not in bow. Two heads and proper showers. Washer & dryer.

5. Teak. Decks and brightwork as well as interior. Not a real boat without it. Sure, I've had to replace the foredeck and repaired a bit under half the boatdeck (rotted balsa). Not that big a deal. It lasted over 30 years, now will easily last that long again. Ambiance from brightwork is magical. It does not always have to be perfect, some patina is acceptable. Not that big a deal to maintain either. Just forget the 12 coats of varnish /perfect gloss effect. I'm happy using Deks Olje.

So after a few years of ownership, what would I have done in hindsight?

1. Added 5ft to the stern like many Mk 1's have done. I may still do this to get a 10ft deep cockpit. The extension can have a hot tub below deck level, heated from engine heat.

2. Single diesel main, with CPP. I considered going to a single when re-powering, but it was going to cost appreciably more to go that route as a retrofit.

3. Assuming 2 above, Wing engine of about 80 HP, with DC generator to quickly charge a very large 48V house bank of LiFePO4 batts.

4. More solar. Soft panels on bimini, ability to slide out additional panels at anchor to shade fore and aft of bimini as well.

Smart additions during refit: active fin stabis, bow thruster, removal of 2 gennies (love the added space!)

I can't believe no one (that I noticed) listed anchor.

In my mind, that's more of an accessory which can be changed. I listed features inherent within the design which were the top considerations for us when buying a boat.

Back
Top Bottom