View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #56
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Heavy Weather

Quote:
Ragnar wrote:

Well KJ, after attempting to be a part of this community, I give up.
I interpreted KJ's "agent" comment as a compliment to your ability to relate a good story.* Perhaps I was wrong.

Regardless, it's a benefit to all of us to have someone who has experienced what most of us have just read about.* I've heard about Little Diomede island.* Back in the '80s I was asked to write a two-part magazine*article about a fairly famous Alaska bush pilot, Orville Tosch (father of the Paul Tosch who today*does the traffic reporting for KOMO in Seattle).* Orville told me a story about going out to Little Diomede.* I don't remember why he went--* I think it was something to do with an airplane problem he was having---*but it was in a walrus hide boat.

The people who have lived and worked*in*environments like this have experienced things*most people are hard-pressed to even imagine.* I have interviewed a lot of*PT boat vets for my current writing project and when you think about it, it's pretty amazing to be talking to*a person who lived through those kinds of adventures.

I would very much like to hear about your experiences in Alaska if you are willing to write them up.* Besides the opportunity to vicariously experience someone's achievement that is far beyond anything I will every accomplish, there's a good chance I'll learn something I can apply to our own boating here in the PNW.

Most of us who participate in this forum, including me, can be as*holes sometimes.* That's the penalty of the "no repercussions" nature of the internet.* But that should not diminish the value of your contribution to the group.* So like Carey, I hope you'll stick around and give us the benefit of your experiences and adventures*when you feel like writing them up.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 10th of February 2011 12:32:48 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote