In one word, what made you choose your boat.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Aluminum
2. Easy solo
3. Old school engine (bullet proof so far) Perkins 4-236
4. Engine room easy access and enough room.
5. Sea chest
I could go on but suffice to say the Spartans of old would like her.

Boredom.

I needed to either find another boat to resurrect or I would likely drink myself dead on this job.

So now I'm still drinking myself dead, but I'm not bored doing it. :)

Tired

I was tired of shopping for boats in PNW for 2-3 years.
Yachtworld, emails & calls to broker I was working with.
Multiple trips to Seattle, Anacortes, Nanaimo, Sidney, Port Orchard, Bellingham, etc, etc from Galveston, Texas

Saw lots of great boats that I would have been happy with...BUT...I was looking for the "Perfect" boat that fit ALL my projected (dreamed up) needs.

Finally I got tired and realized I "needed" a boat by this spring or it was going to be another year before I could start my adventure and I'm getting to the age that you just don't say "wait until next year" lightly.
Choosing a Good boat which will get me going rather than waiting for the perfect boat became the main idea.

Actually realize that this may be the perfect boat once I start using it or it may be the totally wrong boat...we'll see but I needed a boat to get where I want to be. I think I got a pretty good one.

Ironically...still "shopping" for boats...just not looking to buy one right now.

I should add that Ann's requirements and mine were in complete alignment, we shopped for, selected, and bought the boat together. We never argued once in the process; after years of bareboat chartering, we knew what we were looking for as a team.

I suppose I could have just as easily said "quality" because virtually every aspect of the boat exuded it, but that's a bit too vague. We were buying a boat to both cruise extensively inshore and off, and to serve as our only residence for several years; so "boat as boat" and "boat as house", thus the term "ergonomics" applied to both as well.

Ironically...still "shopping" for boats...just not looking to buy one right now.

We will always be "shopping", at least observing and looking. We like boats and like looking at new ones. Was just checking out on their facebook and web pages the new OA 70 (actually should be called a 65). They've got it at the Miami Yacht Show. Built at the Merritt Island plant. Their previous smallest boat was 72'. Could perhaps a 60 be in their plans?

Yes!

The boat needs to meet all your other criteria, but the single most important thing is that it needs to make you smile when you look at it. Every time I leave the boat, I stop and look back and think "YES!" If you're considering a boat and it doesn't make you want to turn around for one last look, keep walking.

View attachment 48821

Ted

Very nice said. I like the YES ! every time you leave your boat.

Oh no! Everyone knows "it's not how big it is, but what you do with it" that counts, ask any woman :) Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Right one. That was after 20 or so that were not.

Value

High quality systems, some misses on minor things, no fancy woodwork. A lot thoughtful engineering and design. Not perfect, but what is?

It ain't the meet its the motion....

that makes my baby wanta rock!!!! :D :thumb:

Wifey B: Actually the way I heard it was:

It's not the size of the ship.
It's the motion of the ocean. :D

Wifey B: Actually the way I heard it was:

It's not the size of the ship.
It's the motion of the ocean. :D

"... it's the one that jumps on the top!" :dance:

No Wood trim
No canvas
No fly bridge
No fuel guzzler

"Wink"!

In the years between 2004 and 2007, having prodigiously looked for our next self contained pleasure cruiser and having been aboard many boats, when we ran across this Tollycraft... within 20 minutes of review... Linda and I winked at each other. I felt sure at that instant we had the "feeling", this Tolly would likely become ours.

After surveys, sea trial... etc - so did the Tolly become ours! Therefore - It all started with a Wink!

Last edited:
"THAT'S IT"............toured it, loved it, felt at home in it..........IMMEDIATELY

I don't think many of us on here have a wife quite like that...

Peter - Listen carefully to some of wifie's under breath comments... We'd all be surprised! - LOL :D

Then again, wifie can listen to our under breath comments... Surprised is only one of the reactions we'd have to pay-up on!! Double-LOL!! :rofl: :facepalm:

Capable

So far so good, California Delta to LaPazMexico

"Destiny"
We're not getting any younger. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom