interior spaces on trawler types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"And why do you care if it looks goofy if it works?"

One reason pointed out almost a century ago by Mr Herrishoff is boatyards.

The workers are delighted to work on a showboat as their skills can add to the vessel.

A pug ugly Roomaran with a flapping oxygen tent or plywood additions ,,a deck cargo of "projects" and live aboard goodies is liable to be looked on as a Roach Coach , a boat to avoid and be off of as quickly as possible.

Even if its nice inside,

Last edited:
Marty: Here's William with a Nordic Tug 26 cabin. William would be an great candidate for an enclosed cabin.

Take a look at Jay Benford's small boat designs - I think he'll have a few complementary aft treatments that might be adapted.

Keith

Thanks Larry , that's cool looking . I could cut out the deck and gain some headroom with two steps down from the pilothouse . There is a ton of room under that deck and keep the side decks like a Europa .That would give us about 70 sq ft more of indoor space and still have about 60 sq ft of aft deck .

Yeah, I see what you mean. Of course, you'd have to get used to not having that 360 degree visibility! Interior space could include a galley/dinette setup, or a small saloon. Wadaya mean you put it in the classified? Got your eye on another boat.

Attachments

• william 3.jpg
    william 3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 72
Larry you are the man . It's looking better with every photoshop . Yes we've got our eye on one, but William is a fun boat .

Late to this thread but it appears as if preferences for flybridges tends to break down on regional lines. Many (not all of course) that don't love flybridges seem to be in the PNW. Those that wouldn't trade them away tend to be in areas with either more clement weather year round or live in areas with 4 seasons.

Maybe it is my own regional bias, but the PNW seems to be spawning a number of the newer pilothouse designs. I am thinking of Nordic Tug, American Tug, North Pacific 38 and 43, Helmsman 38 and 42, Fathom Yachts, and I am sure some many others. These are all relatively new designs that have chosen the pilothouse design as fitting the PNW market.

As someone who hopes to purchase one of these newer designs (used of course) within the next few years, I have been very dismayed at the recent inclusion of flybridges on these designs. The NT and American Tugs are great looking boats with a useful boat deck (IMO). When a flybridge is added to those boats it detracts from the lines to my eye and because of the climate in which I cruise, seem to be a costly waste of resources. However, if there weren't plenty of folks who want a flybridge, they wouldn't be building them.

As Marin pointed out days ago, the redundancy of a flybridge simply creates something else to maintain, repair, and clean around. Around here most flybridges are fully enclosed with canvas which further ruins the lines of the boat, creates added windage, and yet more canvas for the gulls and Herons to crap on.

Some of the newer designs (Helmsman, North Pacific, Fathom) incorporated a flybridge from the first design phase and in the case of Fathom and Helmsman did a good job of keeping it low profile and minimalist. I was on a Fathom Element 43 today (in the pouring rain of course) which had a very simple helm station on the boat deck. Wheel, throttle, VHF, basic Nav display, and a small helm chair was it. I was functional and I could see it being practical for those rare times when it would be nice to drive the boat from its roof.

BTW, the Fathom Element was much nicer than I had expected. The side deck, while narrow, is functional for getting from the cockpit to the bow. The pilothouse was nice although it lacks a port side door (that bothers me). It seemed well arranged and the engine room (which I crawled into and around) was very workable.

I prefer one story houses. We live in a two story house. Why are all the newer homes in our neighborhood two story? Because you're dealing with limited lots and it's the only way to get the additional space. If you could legally have three stories, I'm sure there would be many.

Same thing to me with boats. Space. Especially outdoor space. I can either get a longer boat or a taller boat. Cruising during the day, the bridge is where we love to be. At night, it's a quiet place to just enjoy the moon and stars. Let's start with a 50' boat. Now, I love it but I sure would like 25' more deck space. Two choices. Go to 75' boat or add flybridge.

For a quick run to Miami or West Palm we're happy at 35 knots in a sports boat with no bridge. It's open and we're enjoying the weather. But for a month of cruising at moderate speeds, I definitely want a bridge.

Larry you are the man . It's looking better with every photoshop . Yes we've got our eye on one, but William is a fun boat .

Surely you jest! Now I know you are just patronizing me, Marty. Don't you think something a little more traditional might work better on William?

Attachments

• william 4.jpg
    william 4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 238
Surely you jest! Now I know you are just patronizing me, Marty. Don't you think something a little more traditional might work better on William?
Larry this is the best looking one so far . William for sure has the perfect blank canvas for design change .

Back
Top Bottom