View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
N4061
Guru

Just Another Opinion

Having been around boats my entire life and living aboard part time for around five years, selling and buying more boats then the average person I would like to share our most recent experience.

After a few years away from boating to take care of medical issues we tested the waters and purchased a used 35 trawler. The one year spending weekends and a few work nights aboard proved it was best physical and mental medicine any doctor could have prescribed for the both of us. If the boat had not turned into a problem child with ongoing mechanical issues I would not have gotten frustrated, sold the boat, purchased a beach house that found us walking along the bay 3X per day wishing we had a boat. We decided being near the water was not the same as being on the water so we sold the house eleven months later (got very lucky to cover all our costs) and set yet another course to build another boat.

Will we keep this boat forever? Knowing our life style, likely not but I would like to think we will keep her for a very long time and cover some of the same ground you have. We believe a new and simpler boat will help expand the fun times aboard (less maintenance) and reduce cost of ownership. No one knows for sure but heck its all part of the adventure. We believe we will always own a boat as long as we have our health. To be honest it helps keep us in shape more than working on the yard and lots more fun. This being said we will never be without a land based home to return to, rest up and look forward to the next time we drive back to the boat. We just need this type of adventure in our lives.

We are all different and need to make our own decisions so best of luck with yours. One thing to remember is that if you do decide to sell, you can always get another boat if not smaller and simpler to just spend a few hours out on the water.
John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote