Bay Pelican
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylands View Post
I will have a read, thanks...

Sorry I don't fully understand this, does it make a difference when the boat is over 54"..??

And I thought the Krogen had a FD hull, do you mean a SD hull would have had even more trouble??

Please bear with me it's a steep learning curve...
55 feet was used as my cut off point as it excludes the Fleming 55 which is semi-displacement. And I am not familiar with the hull shapes of a couple of other boats that show up every year that are in the 60 foot plus range. I have even less knowledge of the 100 footers. 95%+ of the cruising boats here are in the 34 to 54 foot range.

Krogens are FD hulls. The FD hull is considered more seaworthy which is the reason it is the favorite hull form for ocean crossing.
Almost all cruising sail boats in the 34 to 54 foot range are full displacement, there are a few designed for speed with semi-displacement hulls but these are specialty items.

To simplify your choice, if you are crossing an ocean, coming to the Eastern Caribbean, or the south Pacific, get a full displacement boat. If you are coastal cruising, including an occasional trip to the Bahamas a semi-displacement hull may have advantages of speed, twin engines and multiple choices.