Interesting build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging from many of the steel boats I've seen amatuar steel boat design is fairly popular. If one that welds gets bitten by the boat bug .. off they go.

The quality is amazing. This is not your typical back yard build.

I like the clear floor boards so you can see what's going on in the engine room. (6 mins, video 6). Thanks for posting.

That us a fascinating video series. The craftsmanship: mechanical, electrical and joinery work is amazing. Those guys weren't just casual neighbors. They were pros or retired pros at their craft.

Some of the features indicate that Gustaf is a tinkerer: hydraulic lowering radar mast, full remote control of engine, rudder and bowthruster anywhere on the boat. The list goes on.

David

Dammit I wish I had some building skills!

The only thing that gets built when I grab the hammer, saw, nails and wood is my frustration. ?

I seem to have trouble with angles. Specifically, right angles.

Last edited:
And he does it all so well! First, build the shop. Second, fit out the shop.
And the briefing sessions, a mans gotta set priorities.

The Pride in workmanship is a level above, the talent in that group is humbling, what a ship, thanks.

Gustav likes Deutz diesel engines... He chose a more modern marinized Deutz that's water cooled, not air cooled like I used to work on in my youth.

I like the option of seeing the engine room through the deck, and I don't. If there ever was a fire, it would crack the glass fairly quickly and wind up burning the deck off. Until then, other than being slippery in sock feet, looks cool.

He also has a site where he transformed a 4WD mercedes truck into an off-road camper, same attention to detail and quality.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1wFVfQEduDlmaiddGpPDBQ

CarDude, he has skills, but he also has the option to get those people who have skills to work with him.
Bruce Roberts makes a living making plans for people who want to build it their way, or even hire someone to build it for them. According to Bruce, being the prime contractor saves a ton of $$$.

Ask Conall about his steel boat he just moved to Fort Meyers FL...
Conall's Boat Build

Have followed Conell's blog. That man also has mad skills.

This was a great set of videos.

It is obvious from the videos that there were no amateurs involved, at least on screen. These were highly skilled professional welders and many other backgrounds including cabinet makers and electricians, not to mention the engineers.

I was also in awe over the machinery they had available to them.

I wonder what the total cost in US dollars was.

How did you like the remote control so he could drive it from the bow?

I loved the Deutz engine but I would have put in an Air Cooled version with less water coming in the boat. One side benefit (being in Germany) it would provide heat for the cabin if the engine was purring. The water cooled engine is a bit quieter, i'll admit.

Still nice boat & build. Now he has a yacht to go with his land yacht. I wish he had put english translated videos of his RV conversion.

What I liked about this project was that it appeared that no one lost any fingers. There seemed to be no smashed toes and there weren't any severe burns!

Put me in a room with 30,000 lbs of steel, a few different types of grinders and lathes and a welding torch and I may not get out alive.

I guess you just have to have a plan and proceed accordingly. What could go wrong?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom