Nordhavn 35 Coastal Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"There are many couples out there doing it alone. Now, that's what I call gutsy. They have my respect."

There are probably 100X as many folks SAILING on circumnavigations than motoring.Maybe 500 X!

Most are under 45 ft , many under 35ft, None consider it GUTSY ,in many cases its what the boat was built to do.

FF wrote:"There are many couples out there doing it alone. Now, that's what I call gutsy. They have my respect."

There are probably 100X as many folks SAILING on circumnavigations than motoring.Maybe 500 X!

Most are under 45 ft , many under 35ft, None consider it GUTSY ,in many cases its what the boat was built to do.
FF, Power boat, sail boat, or whatever to me world cruising is still gutsy* Self reliance is the name of the game.* The Nordhavn Atlantic Ralley was a great event, but I'm not sure just what it proved.* It had to be great fun, and maybe showed people they could do it.

"but I'm not sure just what it proved"

With enough money and crutches the autopilot can go from A to B .

WOW!

Moonstruck wrote:FF, Power boat, sail boat, or whatever to me world cruising is still gutsy* Self reliance is the name of the game.* The Nordhavn Atlantic Ralley was a great event, but I'm not sure just what it proved.* It had to be great fun, and maybe showed people they could do it.
Don,

You are correct about the gutsy part for sure.* I have a friend that is doing it on a 47' Stevens sailboat and he hasn't been a life log sailor by any stretch of the mind.* Yet he has the Wanderlust and is off to see the world.

What it proved is up for grabs.* But it was a great promotion*that got the company name out.* I guess we could say what does Porsche, Audi or BMW prove by racing in the 24 Hours*at Daytona or any other car race for that matter.* It's money squared that usually wins and talk about support.* But the buying public does win in the long run.* Disc brakes that last 60 or 70 K miles are now standard on every car.* Diesel fuel injection that knocks you back in the seat,*gets 40 plus miles to the gallon and has clean air to boot.* Engines that go 300K miles without major overhauls.* Bodies that are better suited to crash standards and are of*lighter weight.

I think the boating public wins when these companies do these kind of things as well.* Suppliers donate stuff that gets real life tested and the like.**Everyone wins, even FF.

"Engines that go 300K miles without major overhauls"

Automated machining ,better materials , parts selection and assembly are more responsible for long lived engines , that no longer require a break in are a result of manufacturing progress , not racing.

40 MPG? Golly!

My Renault Dauphine 1958 era got 50mpg, my 1980 Diesel Rabbit still goes 44 on the highway.

AHHHH "progress!"

FF wrote:40 MPG? Golly!

My Renault Dauphine 1958 era got 50mpg, my 1980 Diesel Rabbit still goes 44 on the highway.

AHHHH "progress!"
The new TDI gets the 40+ mileage and doesn't*use a sundial to time it getting to 80 mph*going down the road.* The Audi TDI wining Le Mans four years in a row is awesome for a diesel period.*The TDI*engine is racing technology.

Renault*sold more*Dauphines than*VW sold Beatles in the early going but they broke so often that didn't last.* The only happy Dauphine owner was the guy that bought one for $300 and gave it to his kid to chase cows in the pasture and could wait for six weeks to get a part.**I mean*besides you FF.

To get this back on a boating track, buy a new VW Passat TDI.* I need the business.* They are made right here in Chattanooga.* When their employees and suppliers make money they can buy from me.* That will put my people back to work, and I could think about that Fleming!

JD, I never really thought of it that way. The rally served more than one purpose. One being that Nordhavn was able to see how their boats performed in their target environment with many different "control groups". They were able to see what was up to snuff and what wasn't so they could produce a better boat.

Also, I think the biggest benefit of the rally was to allow people to do a crossing with a group to really see if they or their boat was up to the task. We can argue ad nauseum of how much they could rely on the "support group" mentality. But it did get some people out there to do it and many of those people like went on to do more extensive cruising.

"and could wait for six weeks to get a part."

I guess thats the difference between living in New York City , and nowhere.

Even a friend with a Panhart could get parts, easily!

Moonstruck wrote:

To get this back on a boating track, buy a new VW Passat TDI.* I need the business.* They are made right here in Chattanooga.* When their employees and suppliers make money they can buy from me.* That will put my people back to work, and I could think about that Fleming!
My son just bought a new Jetta -- does that count?

For cars, it is not all about MPG FF. Fun, looks, reliability and cachet count for some of us. Renaults and VW Rabbit diesels from the last century were lousy cars during their time, and mere footnotes today.*Now the GTI from 30 years ago, that was a real pioneer and raised the bar. I well remember the Panhard. When in college we bought one for $20 and charged 25 cents per 16 pound sledgehamer swing. Afterwards,that was the best that car had ever looked.*

ARoss wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

My son just bought a new Jetta -- does that count?

It is a great car, but it won't get me to that Fleming.* It's made in Germany.
no.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 02:23:18 PM

"looks, reliability and cachet count for some of us."

OHH,,, I thought it was "Efficiency".

Of course with interest rates down it is no longer possible to drive for free.

$45,000 diesel look at me have fun car , VS $1,000 diesel Rabbit.

Used to be the interest on $44,000 left in the bank would pay the years fuel bill and insurance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom