Garmin buys DeLorme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I heard this on the radio today. Garmin is buying DeLorme, maker of the InReach satellite navigator.

I guess it's a good thing. I have been a long-time customer of both companies.

Still, I do feel something is lost when an international conglomerate buys up a local Maine business.

The InReach is really unique, and Garmin was smart to snatch it up.

Supposedly they're going to keep the Maine office with the "Eartha" globe open, if only as an R&D facility and tourist attraction.

As long as WalMart doesn't buy Reny's...
(Only Mainers will understand that one.)

I understand they're going to close the store but that mostly sold books so it's not a surprise.

WalMart buying Marden's?

I heard this on the radio today. Garmin is buying DeLorme, maker of the InReach satellite navigator.

Hmmm! Makes me nervous! I've got an InReach and have been very,pleased with it. I'd rather it was independent from Garmin. I'm worried they may discontinue or change the service.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

The only way to ever cash out a business like DeLorme is to find a buyer like Garmin, already in the industry and able to easily incorporate a product like that into their business.

So does this mean Delorme will stop producing its paper atlases and gazetteers? I just bought the most recent Maine edition for a road trip coming up - most states I don't use one but for places like Maine, Vermont, W. Virginia I wouldn't be without even with GPS. I'm suprised they didn't just sell off the inreach product and then spin off the paper map business

Farming bought interphase the maker of a pretty nifty forward looking sonar and shut the company down.

All products discontinued, facility shut down.

Purchases are made for all reasons. Unfortunately some are made with no desire to operate the company, just to take the technology. Others, however, are purchased with one plan and soon it changes.

Some of the technology purchases have been the most insane. Yahoo brought Broadcast.com for $5.7 billion. They were never able to do anything with the company or it's technology as the ways they tried to use it were failures. Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner did quite well though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom