Victoria, BC to the Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tag you are it, stopped and left my card we are 336

Haha, we probably walked right by each other! We were just walking on your dock. We'll try you tomorrow! It's almost cruiser bedtime after all.

Yep you guys were talking to Harry as I got on my boat small world see you tomorrow

Just a little over a year ago we were there for a couple of days. Nice place.

Thanks great meeting you guys as very,stay in touch and good luck.

So, it's starting to get toasty here in La Paz. 30C every day. It cools down at night but not until about midnight or so. As a result, I want to install a fan in the quarter-berth - one that I bought in San Diego.

I thought I had a 12V DC outlet in the quarter-berth that I was going to disassemble and wire directly to the fan. I pulled out my trusty multi-meter and measured 30V AC across the socket (what?). I then isolated the shore-power breaker and measured 13.1V DC across the socket. What the bleep is going on? Is this AC or DC? Sounds like a wiring issue... Anyone ever see something like this?

I took the socket apart and it's got two wires, but it just looks like an old-school AC outlet that doesn't have a dedicated ground. Why the heck would it pick up 12V DC???

So the ride is over, at least this one anyway, and the kids are coming home. What a great adventure they had.

Yup, it is AC time. The Baja is dry and hot, has been for a long time.

Just to wrap things up, I wanted to mention that our trip has come to an end. We spent the last couple of weeks cruising in the Sea and now Halcyon I is on the back of a ship, heading back to Victoria (ETA approximately a week from today).

What an awesome trip we had, and now we can't wait to cruise the PNW with all the knowledge we've acquired!

Glad to hear it. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures. I missed the part about having it shipped back North. Sounds like a great idea.

Just to wrap things up, I wanted to mention that our trip has come to an end. We spent the last couple of weeks cruising in the Sea and now Halcyon I is on the back of a ship, heading back to Victoria (ETA approximately a week from today).

What an awesome trip we had, and now we can't wait to cruise the PNW with all the knowledge we've acquired!

Mark & Eden
Thanks for posting here and on FaceBook, it was fun following along. Hope to run into you cruising the Gulf Islands one day and maybe share a bottle of wine........:thumb:

I am glad you had a great voyage!

Is Alaska next?

Congratulations on what sounds like an amazing voyage of discovery. You're well set for your next adventure. You must be feeling a great sense of accomplishment.

Mark & Eden
Thanks for posting here and on FaceBook, it was fun following along. Hope to run into you cruising the Gulf Islands one day and maybe share a bottle of wine........:thumb:

That would be awesome! I'm looking forward to getting to know other boaters up here, just as we met so many on the trip down.

Congratulations on what sounds like an amazing voyage of discovery. You're well set for your next adventure. You must be feeling a great sense of accomplishment.

Hugely so! Now we just have to figure out this fishing thing. We finally started putting a line in the water towards the end of the trip, but no dice.

Congrats on the successful trip! It was great catching up with you guys TWICE on your way down. Glad we were able to help out with a bay area "home" for you for a couple of days and then the second time passing each other rounding Conception. Which was classic.

Look forward to picking your brain as we're thinking about bringing her up to the PNW either this summer or next.

Funny, we were also just talking about needing the learn the "fishing" thing :)

Take care, talk soon and again CONGRATS. Chris and Emily

Congrats on the successful trip! It was great catching up with you guys TWICE on your way down. Glad we were able to help out with a bay area "home" for you for a couple of days and then the second time passing each other rounding Conception. Which was classic.

Look forward to picking your brain as we're thinking about bringing her up to the PNW either this summer or next.

Funny, we were also just talking about needing the learn the "fishing" thing :)

Take care, talk soon and again CONGRATS. Chris and Emily

Definitely drop us a line if you head north, and if you have any questions about getting up here!

Would you do it again and if you did, what would you do different.

Would you do it again and if you did, what would you do different.

There's a lot of coastline left to explore, so I don't know if we'd do the pacific coast again (except for the parts we didn't get to yet), but we'd definitely recommend it to anyone with a capable boat.

We were certainly in a rush to begin the trip, so there are some things I'd have done differently:

- Get a full mechanical inspection of the powerplant and resolve any issues before departing, as opposed to trying to deal with them on the way. There will always be new problems, but try to depart with a clean bill of health, at least.

- Complete major projects prior to departure (water-maker, SSB, solar installation, etc).

- Depart earlier. We started down the coast on August 15th. I'd say leave by the end of July at the latest, otherwise you might find your weather windows closing. We certainly got stuck in a few places for longer than we had expected (Astoria, Newport, and Morro Bay come to mind).

- If you can afford it, have some sort of stabilization capability, maybe flopper-stoppers or a steady sail. The rolling wasn't too bad, but it could definitely be a more comfortable ride

- I was very happy to have my AIS receiver, but in hindsight I'd have gone with the full transceiver. Knowing you're seen by almost anyone, regardless of your radar cross-section, brings real peace of mind.

And it would've been nice if we had some fishing experience before we left. We're still working on that one, actually. :)

Great to hear a "what I would do different." That doesn't mean you didn't enjoy and overall weren't pleased but all of us learn every trip we take.

Hard to believe this was seven years ago!

Thanks again to everyone who followed along and gave us advice as we made our way down the coast. It was always reassuring knowing that there were other people looking out for us and keeping an eye on our progress.

As I read through this thread, I noticed how much detail was missing from the trip, especially regarding who we met and the incredible stories of their lives and adventures.

I also seemed to gloss over the leg from Ensenada to Turtle Bay. We were honestly on the brink of tragedy on that section of the Baja. The sea conditions and the quality of the "anchorages" put us in very precarious situations. We can look back at it now and laugh, but it was very, very dicey.

I've actually started to write a book about the trip. Whether it will ever see the light of day, who knows, but this thread has been great for bringing back the memories from 2015-2016.

We sold Halcyon I in the spring of '21 to a wonderful family. She passed all of her trials and inspections with flying colours. What a great boat she was!

We don't have any intentions of buying another boat anytime soon, so in the meantime I will get my fix from reading about everyone else's adventures here on the Trawler Forums.

I remember your trip. It was one of the several inspirations for my travels from Seward Alaska to La Paz this summer in my 4788 Bayliner

I remember your trip. It was one of the several inspirations for my travels from Seward Alaska to La Paz this summer in my 4788 Bayliner

You made it to La Paz! Congrats! Now I'm the jealous one. Did you document your journey anywhere?

You made it to La Paz! Congrats! Now I'm the jealous one. Did you document your journey anywhere?

I had several threads going here on troller forum. It was a good trip and I'm happy to be in La paz.

We'll be heading down from PNW to SOC this Fall. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but intend to soon. Take care, Scot

We'll be heading down from PNW to SOC this Fall. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but intend to soon. Take care, Scot

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure a few things have changed since eight(!) years ago but probably not the important things...

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'm writing a book about this trip! I'm hoping to have the first draft completed by the end of the month. I don't think it'll be possible to have it published in time for Christmas, but hopefully early in the new year. There will be an e-book and a soft cover version.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure a few things have changed since eight(!) years ago but probably not the important things...

We made it down to Cabo San Lucas, and are heading back North in the Sea of Cortez right now, bashing into a Northerly on our way to La Paz!

Back
Top Bottom